Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2003
9 Posts
its the 55mm fan unit

http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Phas...p/ph109330.htm
SpadHawk is offline Find More Posts by SpadHawk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:11 AM
Registered User
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadHawk View Post
I can't tell you one way or the other on the motor you listed as I have not tried it but I'd go with this motor on the 55mm fan.

http://www.donsrc.com/cart/index.php...&product_id=50
dpowellmeii is online now Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:30 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
371 Posts
I am VERY grateful for the guidance you (plural) have provided to me.

Thanks,
Tom
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:47 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
sonny1's Avatar
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Leave that HK stuff in China and order a Wicked motor from Don's RC, you won't be sorry. Don has every fan ever used on the EF-16 listed on his site, so you can know for sure what works with what. Keep it local, (meaning USA local),

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 01:32 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan View Post
ARGH!!!

I'm building my first EDF with this model. I went to spray paint it tonight and found that the paint was melting the foam. Which paint have you found to be safe?

Thanks,
Tom
This may or may not upset a few here but this is the way i look at it. This is a $30 airframe and is very cheap. It's a first edf you will most likely pile that thing into the ground or like me a concrete wall when something goes wrong or learning. I'm saying this because I have. The last 3 of mine have ended up in little styrofoam beads for one reason or another. I was all concerned about looks and the add ons on my first that it got too heavy to fly and poof! The best one I had was a stock build with the rear wood supports and the dons 4000+ on the stock fan unit on 4S. I just piled that one into the ground last week after placing a new het motor with a cs 10 blade in it. CG great surfaces adjusted and went nose in on take off. POOF! Oh well I have spare laying around somewhere . Will build up a nice one next when get time.
sr175 is online now Find More Posts by sr175
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:30 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Extreme_RC's Avatar
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,489 Posts
Airframe cost is completely meaningless IMHO, our time spent building and modifying is worth many times the cost of this airframe. I never decked the F16, nor was it my first EDF, personally I don't think its the best choice for first edf, its more a builders kit.

Finish it any way you like, mine were all glassed and airbrushed up perfect before maiden, some choose to not paint until maiden, I do this on larger models. If you have trouble launching this model then practice is needed or some help from someone with more experience as its a very easy model to launch and land.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:21 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
personally I don't think its the best choice for first edf, its more a builders kit.
I agree! And build anyway as you said it's all fun!
sr175 is online now Find More Posts by sr175
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:09 PM
Aaaah...........Napalm!
chopperscott's Avatar
USA, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Apr 2004
387 Posts
Can anyone tell me the approximate length of the thrust tube? I'm putting in a new fan and motor, and have no idea where my original is. I secured some mylar, but I'm wondering if there's a specific length that it should be. I'm barely scratching the surface of knowledge about edf's....like fsa and other terms. I don't pretend to understand any of that.....yet
chopperscott is offline Find More Posts by chopperscott
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Extreme_RC's Avatar
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,489 Posts
I use a wemotec 16cm glass nozzle in mine, with wemo fan, HET motor, 80A esc in the regular spot, and 2600-3200 4s packs in the front, balance is no problem, fan sits about 5-10mm in front of the servos.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperscott View Post
Can anyone tell me the approximate length of the thrust tube? I'm putting in a new fan and motor, and have no idea where my original is. I secured some mylar, but I'm wondering if there's a specific length that it should be. I'm barely scratching the surface of knowledge about edf's....like fsa and other terms. I don't pretend to understand any of that.....yet
I see you have the Mylar.
We use .005" thick mylar (acetate - or "drafting film") for all our jets up to 5Kw+.

It's much lighter than a fiberglass duct. Especially for a little jet.
For use with a 3-5 bladed rotor (Wemo, HET, WM 400, E-flite) make the outlet 2.2" dia. If you want more top end speed. (but a touch less thrust), make it 2.1"



Some instructions I wrote earlier......
........................................
NOTE: Smaller FSA outlets (75-85%) is for low blade count rotor ONLY. (IE: 3-5 blades). Also....your amps will go up...check the amps before you fly and be sure your motor and ESC and lipos are up to the task.
You can use this free app for making the flat pattern for your thrust tube.
http://www.conelayout.com/
We carry the "mylar" (acetate) material.
After you print the pages and tape them together, you need to add (with a pen, to printed sheet) 1/4" to the long straight side. (for seam overlap when rolling up).
Then you need to add 1/4" to the large curved side, for overlap when taping to the EDF. Use SHINEY Scotch Tape, on both the inner AND the outer full length seam.

For the length or the tube. Measure from the back of the insatlled EDF housing to the back of the jets outlet. Add the 1/4" as mentioned above for overlap, to tape.


Here's a quick photo "how to..."
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Aaaah...........Napalm!
chopperscott's Avatar
USA, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Apr 2004
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
I see you have the Mylar.
We use .005" thick mylar (acetate - or "drafting film") for all our jets up to 5Kw+.

It's much lighter than a fiberglass duct. Especially for a little jet.
For use with a 3-5 bladed rotor (Wemo, HET, WM 400, E-flite) make the outlet 2.2" dia. If you want more top end speed. (but a touch less thrust), make it 2.1"



Some instructions I wrote earlier......
........................................
NOTE: Smaller FSA outlets (75-85%) is for low blade count rotor ONLY. (IE: 3-5 blades). Also....your amps will go up...check the amps before you fly and be sure your motor and ESC and lipos are up to the task.
You can use this free app for making the flat pattern for your thrust tube.
http://www.conelayout.com/
We carry the "mylar" (acetate) material.
After you print the pages and tape them together, you need to add (with a pen, to printed sheet) 1/4" to the long straight side. (for seam overlap when rolling up).
Then you need to add 1/4" to the large curved side, for overlap when taping to the EDF. Use SHINEY Scotch Tape, on both the inner AND the outer full length seam.

For the length or the tube. Measure from the back of the insatlled EDF housing to the back of the jets outlet. Add the 1/4" as mentioned above for overlap, to tape.


Here's a quick photo "how to..."
Yes, the mylar arrived yesterday. Thanks for this, I had absolutely no idea how I was gonna make the tube. I was just gonna "wing it".
chopperscott is offline Find More Posts by chopperscott
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperscott View Post
Yes, the mylar arrived yesterday. Thanks for this, I had absolutely no idea how I was gonna make the tube. I was just gonna "wing it".
Hey Scott,

OH, that was you! you have enough for a few birds there now.

The words and pics in the last post should help ya out.
If you need more assistance with the trust tube, just shoot me an email. I've built at least 6 Phase 3, F-16's, up to 173 mph. Not sure if I have any thrust tube pics in that jet, but I have couple of the Habu 2 foamy. their all quite similar. Just remember when you tape it to the fan, that the outlet is well centered in the jet's outlet.

Regards, Gary
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
Aaaah...........Napalm!
chopperscott's Avatar
USA, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Apr 2004
387 Posts
I ordered two of the sheets of mylar because I also have the exceed rc mig15 that I'd like to add a thrust tube to. The ef16 was put together by a friend of mine, so I didn't have anything to do with the first tube in it. The stock mount for the motor was broken, presumably from a less than stellarly balanced fan. Thanks for all the advice, and when I get the time later this week, I'll more than likely be bending your ear
chopperscott is offline Find More Posts by chopperscott
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Extreme_RC's Avatar
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
We use .005" thick mylar (acetate - or "drafting film") for all our jets up to 5Kw+. It's much lighter than a fiberglass duct. Especially for a little jet.
Jeez give it a rest Gary, "leopards never change their spots", such an apt saying, any chance you get to take jabs at other vendors while posting the same old photos you are there, jetfan thread, F16 thread, maybe you should spend less time trying to dominate every thread and more time testing setups so you get the right motor in a fan...

The guy asked the length, I said I used a 16CM WEMOTEC NOZZLE, and told him where the fan sat in relation to the servos. Its pretty simple stuff, I didn't post up heaps of rehashed photos with Extreme stickers all over them, simply answered a question.

Now have you ever had a wemotec 70mm glass thrust tube? That's an rhetorical question by the way lol. I have the original Mylar thrust tubes in my F16 kits, cut to exact size by the factory with a thin strip of double sided tape on them. They weigh 15 grams. My grossly heavy Wemotec thrust tube (which fits the back of the fan perfectly, has the correct taper down to a straight section then outlet) weighs in at 16 grams Happy to post up photos of both on the scales for any doubters...
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperscott View Post
I ordered two of the sheets of mylar because I also have the exceed rc mig15 that I'd like to add a thrust tube to. The ef16 was put together by a friend of mine, so I didn't have anything to do with the first tube in it. The stock mount for the motor was broken, presumably from a less than stellarly balanced fan. Thanks for all the advice, and when I get the time later this week, I'll more than likely be bending your ear
Sounds good.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Phase 3 Hobbypeople F16- build tips? Smokescreen38 Foamy EDFs 89 Jul 03, 2014 05:39 AM
Discussion Phase 3 - Hobbypeople F16 UPGRADES (cont.) Flying Beagle Foamy EDFs 13 Nov 10, 2010 02:54 AM
Discussion Phase 3 - Hobbypeople F16 UPGRADES ducatirdr Foamy EDFs 11482 Nov 09, 2010 10:05 PM
Wanted Phase 3 F16 body dmize Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Oct 01, 2010 10:36 PM
Sold Phase 3 f16 arf NorCal Hobbies Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Sep 02, 2010 07:30 PM