Old Jun 29, 2015, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by keffe1
Deranged long range
Sweden, Uppsala County, Uppsala
Joined Aug 2013
472 Posts
Question
Plast-dip on 5.8 antennas?

I want to equip a sea plane for FPV so I have a need to waterproof my electronics. Has anybody tried dipping 5.8 antennas in plasti-dip? Did it have any negative effect on range?
keffe1 is online now Find More Posts by keffe1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by DanT
United States, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,727 Posts
Negative,
How about heat?
Most VTX need air over them for cooling .
DanT
DanT is online now Find More Posts by DanT
Old Jul 01, 2015, 10:40 AM
Deranged long range
Joined Aug 2013
472 Posts
I have tried flying my plasti-dipped vtx a few times now. It's mounted on the underside of the canopy of my HK skipper. It does get rather warm but it works. I also dipped my immersionRC antennas without taking of the black plastic cupola. I'm not entirely certain but my impression is that it has a small impact on range. I removed the plastic from the cupola and I think range improved a little after that.
Old Jul 01, 2015, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,032 Posts
It depends on whether the antenna is designed to have the covering or not. In order to cover an antenna with a thick coating you need to make some adjustments to wire length and geometry. There are also a few trade secrets to making it work better that I am not willing to discuss here.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2015, 12:28 AM
Deranged long range
Joined Aug 2013
472 Posts
No wonder since it's your living. Thanks for the reply anyway.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 06:37 AM
Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
A regular at PP
Joined Jan 2013
500 Posts
IB, love your work in FPV!

But...doesn't the bible say: "Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God."
AussieNewbie is offline Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
Old Jul 02, 2015, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by CV12Steve
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2014
546 Posts
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, you just lost your job.
CV12Steve is offline Find More Posts by CV12Steve
Old Jul 02, 2015, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
994 Posts
Really... Don't ask Alex to give more than he's already given. Until you've matched his contributions to FPV no one has any right to ask for his manufacturing secrets. And while we're quoting biblical scripture, doesn't the bible also say 'you shall not covet anything that is thy neighbors'? He doesn't have to share anything he doesn't want to.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Last edited by Julezwatts; Jul 02, 2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 04:14 PM
Deranged long range
Joined Aug 2013
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
Really... Don't ask Alex to give more than he's already given. Until you've matched his contributions to FPV no one has any right to ask for his manufacturing secrets. 'you shall not covet... Anything that is thy neighbors'.
+1 on that. Very few ppl are even close to Alex in that respect. As a bonus, he is already much more service minded than anyone could ask. His comment in this thread is a good example.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by slappomatt
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
lol he has posted tutorials on exactly how to make all his antenna's. He give lifetime warranty for his antennas, about the only thing the guy doesn't do is come help you land the plane. And I bet if you saw him at a field he would even do that.
slappomatt is offline Find More Posts by slappomatt
Old Jul 03, 2015, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,032 Posts
I'm not that good, guys... but I do appreciate the compliments.

The issue with coatings on any antenna is that the change the effective speed of propagation (it slows it down). Thus, in order to tune the antenna to resonance, the lobes need to be shorter. How much depends on the thickness of the coating. However, most cables are not 50 ohms at the frequencies we use and thus you can end up getting hit with twice the penalty in covering for having the incorrect cable length or you could hit it right on. It really is a toss-up for a DIYer.

I recommend people just paint their antennas. It has the least issues with changing performance. Just don't use latex paint

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member