HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2015, 11:35 PM
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Feb 2011
14 Posts
Not trying to trash on TH, but after reading page 206 I don't know how you can say i had the first negative post. My frustration wasn't with the plane but the less than premium hardware that comes with said plane. If I can hand cut and glue a plane together and use horns and connectors off the hobbys shop shelves and have a better flying plane I can't justify the TH premium price. Twisted hobbies probably has great customer service and I haven't contacted them yet. I just looked on the forum to find a solution and found a entire page of folks complaining about the hardware. I just can't believe I paid that much for ill fitting parts. Oh and the servo centering thing. I'll Send TH an E-mail. I really want to like this plane. I bought it for a reason.
dustyhusky is offline Find More Posts by dustyhusky
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2015, 11:53 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
3,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyhusky View Post
Not trying to trash on TH, but after reading page 206 I don't know how you can say i had the first negative post. My frustration wasn't with the plane but the less than premium hardware that comes with said plane. If I can hand cut and glue a plane together and use horns and connectors off the hobbys shop shelves and have a better flying plane I can't justify the TH premium price. Twisted hobbies probably has great customer service and I haven't contacted them yet. I just looked on the forum to find a solution and found a entire page of folks complaining about the hardware. I just can't believe I paid that much for ill fitting parts. Oh and the servo centering thing. I'll Send TH an E-mail. I really want to like this plane. I bought it for a reason.
First negative post I've read. I'm pretty sure I haven't read 206 pages of Twisted Hobbies posts, but I have been flying TH planes for about 4 years, I've owned 7 of their products and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I'm not exactly sure what the premium hardware your talking about actually is. I just buy the power combo and build the plane. I've never felt the need to do anything other than that.

TH does provide outstanding customer service, I'd suggest you contact them, I'm sure they will get right back to you as long as you have specific complaints.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Mar 04, 2015, 12:43 AM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
4,244 Posts
My Beaver takes a pretty good pounding on the factory hardware without issue... I'm sure there's others out there flying harder than I do, but not much.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Mar 04, 2015, 12:53 AM
Proverbs 12:15
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,523 Posts
The Twisted method gets easier after the second assembly. Helping hands are good to have for gluing on Z bends. Hemostats help with the small keepers. The hardware is light and small to save weight which helps with the magic that is TH.

Doug B.
dougbo is offline Find More Posts by dougbo
Old Mar 04, 2015, 08:29 AM
Baraboo, Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2003
200 Posts
I kind of thought that too. Throwing the plane out before giving it a chance because of a quick connector? I wonder if there is a bigger problem? Is it possible you put the control horns too deep in the tail surfaces? If this is the case, then the control rods snaked and didn't function well at all. The control horns need to be sticking up.
Goinstraightup is offline Find More Posts by Goinstraightup
Old Mar 04, 2015, 09:29 AM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
3,254 Posts
My buddy had that issue with his beaver build, buried his control horns too deep and couldn't get decent throws on the tail surfaces. He didn't blame anyone but himself. He bought a new set of horns and went about fixing the issue. Once set up right the hardware outlasted the plane, over 200 flights and a couple years later the Welders joints were rotting away from the sun and the plane had to be retired.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Mar 04, 2015, 10:42 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,154 Posts
My horizontal stab doesn't stay level with the wing. Every once in a while I just twist the fuse and it goes right back to where it should be and stays there. I'm thinking of using flat CF rods length wise on the two bottom X fuse edges to fight this twisting.

The other fix would be to cut off all the hinges which have too much glue from my first attempt at laminating Blemdern.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Mar 04, 2015, 01:46 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,390 Posts
I weigh the tailplane down so it is bent significantly the opposite way to the original twist, then leave it for a couple of hours. Initially, when the weight is removed it's a WTH moment as the poor aircraft looks so bent. However, it settles back but not quite as far as original and this means the original twist is gone. It's not very scientific and can require trial and error but seems to give a long term fix.
GoAround is online now Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Mar 04, 2015, 10:08 PM
My Aerial IS Longer than Yours
United States, MS, Olive Branch
Joined Sep 2006
263 Posts
Seems I have a twist in mine.
I noticed I can do the opposite twist for a few minutes and it is OK for a flying session. I have built a bunch of scratch builds and that is a somewhere myself and I would say most builders take extra effort in getting right but seems to be inherent for some reason evidently to the CTB .
My only real complaint (page 206) which I went back and read does look like I was complaining and I didn't mean to come across that way but it was prolly more a problem with MY 64 year old hands not working like they used to. I didn't break anything I just had to overcome my issues.
I WILL buy more cracks and the experience from the Beave will come in handy on my CY that's waiting on the shelf at TH .
ZZ Prop is offline Find More Posts by ZZ Prop
Old Mar 04, 2015, 10:19 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,292 Posts
If your Welder glue gets yellow and crispy, you could just take it all apart and start over again. I don't think foamies are supposed to last forever and it's fun to move on to a different model or a fresh new version of your old favorite. On twists, sometime heat and humidity help make the foam pliable, then you can let is cool while using clamps or weight to hold it straight. Like ZZ said, sometimes the fix is short lived but it always works. I think the "X" fuse on the CTB is real strong and less likely to get twisted compared to the profile type fuses.
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2015, 11:44 PM
Proverbs 12:15
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
If your Welder glue gets yellow and crispy, you could just take it all apart and start over again. I don't think foamies are supposed to last forever and it's fun to move on to a different model or a fresh new version of your old favorite.
+100, fly it, abuse it, learn with it, retire it and assemble another one.

Doug B.
dougbo is offline Find More Posts by dougbo