New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2015, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE
Joined Aug 2012
463 Posts
Discussion
Advice : UMX Radian or UMX PT-17?

I'm considering a new addition to the hangar, but can't decide.

Both models have excellent reviews, so I'm not concerned about quality, but I do find some of the UMX models tend to be fairly similar in some ways.

I've never flown a glider and am thinking the Radian might be something differentand fun to try. Any thoughts?
GREEN_MACHINE is offline Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,189 Posts
I would look at where I am going to fly it most time's. In a field no runway the radian no landing gear to knock off. Over a great runway I can use all the time maybe the PT 17. I was going to get the radian for the windy days to fly over my champs. Even being 1.5 oz plane I have seen it flow in 10 to 12 mph winds no problem which is where I stop flying most of my other micro's.. The Pt 17 is a great looking plane. Me most like get one and than the other.
papadwight is offline Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Grass Take Off And Landing
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,411 Posts
I bought both the Radian and the PT-17. I flew the Radian once. Its a very nice little plane and should be fun to learn thermal soaring - also i think it would be a great beginners plane. In my case, it went up on a shelf, hasn't flown since and i have no desire to try it again. I found it to be very boring.

I was unhappy when the PT-17 was announced as it was a 1S brushed motor and I wanted another like my 2S Pitts which I thought was the best plane ever. I found out i was wrong about the PT-17. After adding a small bit of weight to the nose, I have more fun with that little airplane. It will fly in very tight areas like the narrow street in front of my house and its just a blast. When I take it to our flying field, it will take off from a small patch of dirt in the middle of the grass, the climb rate is really great and its just a lot of fun to fly. My only criticism is that the roll rate is slow and it looks like a job to correct that. No matter. I bought one of those FPV Vapors that were on sale. I stripped the camera off of it, took the nose weight off the PT-17, mounted the camera on the nose of the PT just behind the engine and spliced the power lead into the battery plug. It flies great that way. I haven't tried flying it in FPV, but I put the goggles on my grandson and flew in front of the house. He loved it.
Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Jul 30, 2015, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
585 Posts
i would say if you want aerobatics pt17 but i would go for the pitts first pluss the pits is a 2 s
the umx radian i dont understand I had allot of them 1 good thermal and if your not care full its gone although that never hapened to me . if you get bored with it you can fly it around your neighbor hood with a fresh 45c at full therotle and see how long you last withoout hitting anything. i dont see any bordom there its a good plane
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE
Joined Aug 2012
463 Posts
Thanks for all the great insight!
GREEN_MACHINE is offline Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE