SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2015, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by codan
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Discussion
stupid easy star 2 - wings came off

So I spent a bunch of money last summer for an easy star and really good components to go with it. My first really nice plane.

Flew it about 12 times, nice plane, I really like it, no hard landings.

Then I take it out one afternoon and the wings slip then come off in flight about 30' above the ground.

Broken in 5 pieces.

I finally put it back together and hope to fly tomorrow in the snow.

Two questions
1) why would they every design something that freaking falls apart in mid-air?
2) what's the best way to make sure this doesn't happen again, short of gluing the wings in? I'll be using packing tape tomorrow.
codan is offline Find More Posts by codan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,769 Posts
It happens with foam. The foam compresses over time and you get loose fits of the parts.

Simple fix is to use foam soup. Nearly boiling water poured over the foam parts will swell the foam back to shape, and then you have a nice tight fit. I've done it several times on my Bix and Bix 2.

For added security there are a bunch of ways to keep em together. Rubber bands and hooks, Velcro, or even magnets (what I use)

Install a pair of 3M plastic hooks on the wings, one to a side. Stretch a rubber band between the hooks.

Install a piece of soft Velcro on each wing half, lay a piece of hard Velcro on the bottom of the fuse. Insert wings, attach with the Velcro.

Install magnets on each wing half, making sure of correct polarity. Slide wings together and they will snap together.
Glacier Girl is online now Find More Posts by Glacier Girl