New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2014, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by Lexta
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,852 Posts
Build Log
Seagull Models Hawker Seafury Electric conversion

I know there is an electric conversion forum but this model has been done before, although many years ago, and there is more potential for greater input on this forum.
So here we go.

Firstly this is a balsa and ply ARF gasser which I purchased from Hobby Wholesale in Canada. Excellent service and shipped double boxed.

This is a sport scale model and while I will be adding some more details it will be a weekend flyer so let's not start counting the rivets please. It is a fun project which I hope will come out nicely and fly well.
Lexta is offline Find More Posts by Lexta
Last edited by Lexta; Feb 10, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by Lexta
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,852 Posts
As I mentioned this model has been around for many years. I have read through many threads and build logs on this model both gas and electric conversion. While it is a very well built model and very light, it does have a few outline issues. I will not be correcting the flaps but 3 things I can't live with are,

1 the cowling is way too long

2 the fin and rudder shape is way off.

3 battery access hatch is needed

So the first move for me was to get it closer to shape.
I removed 2" off the cowl , easy enogh from this nice light fiber glass cowl.

I made up a paper template for a new rudder and fin fillet. It is not perfectly scale but much more acceptable and no I don't think I will be raising the tail plane.
Remember this is a sport scale weekend flyer I am aiming for and one that will not break the bank.

Did I say how well this model is made. It is really nice.
Last edited by Lexta; Feb 10, 2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by Lexta
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,852 Posts
Most of the threads I have seen on this Sea fury are a few years old. This must be an improved version as the pilot and retracts are far better then what I saw on the older threads. Luckily for me FMS has developed fantastic scale components for their 1700mm range which I plan to take full advantage of during the build. As a teaser I checked the size of the Starmax 1600mm spinner and prop and it looks about right. I will however use the new FMS Mustang spinner and props as they are a bigger diameter and pitch
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:00 AM
Find More Posts by Biggles51
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
277 Posts
Following with interest.
Good on you with the proposed scheme !!!
Cheers
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:55 AM
Find More Posts by dambit
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,356 Posts
Good to sea an Australian scheme being chosen
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by Lexta
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,852 Posts
Thanks guys , yes it will be all blue but maybe the 115 scheme havn't quite nailed it down yet.

Here is a picture of the supplied retracts. They are very robust with a 6mm leg and metal retract unit.

But I do want oleo's and electric retracts.

The more I look at tehis kit the better it looks. It is a great deal from Hobby-Wholeslae.. I plan to keep purchasing Canadian with a shockwave sound module.

I have the FMS 50 -55 300kv motor spinner and props on the way.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Lexta
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,852 Posts
New rudder is made and covered. Now that it looks like a Sea fury I can start the build.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by dambit
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,356 Posts
Looks much better now that the rudder and cowl has been fixed
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by Lexta
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,852 Posts
Thanks
The photos don't do it justice. It really is a nice model.

Part way through the hatch mod
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by djmoose
C-Main Champ
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,349 Posts
I just ordered one of these today. Mine will be electric as well. I have a Top Flite Sea Fury on 8S that RIPS....however I deal with taking the wing off for the batteries.

I just picked up a Scorpion 5525-170 motor CHEAP so I'll try to go 12S. I'll see what I can fit in there...but if I can fit 2 6S 3000s, I should be able to set my timer for 6 minutes. (using a 19x12...but that might be too big)
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:23 AM
Find More Posts by CaseySP
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexta View Post
Thanks
The photos don't do it justice. It really is a nice model.

Part way through the hatch mod
I always like this particular model too. How are you doing the hatch mod? here are some pictures on how I did the one on my MK Mighty Knight conversion. Dead easy using thin razor saws.

I also have a .90 sized P51D of unknown providence I bought on a whim many years ago. Am now thinking of electrifying it - have had good success with the Turnigy Easy Match motors for larger balsa glow to electric conversions.
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:35 AM
Find More Posts by Ceeray
Finland
Joined Jul 2004
746 Posts
I have done Seagull Sea Fury conversion also!

Its easy to fly and flaps are nice addition to get it slowing down for nice landing. Pretty light for its size.

I used 8S system with 16.6" four bladed varioprop, 4" spinner.

Modified tail feathers altogether. As you said the shape was way off.

I also enlarged the wheel wells. Now I run 3.5" or 4" wheels, cannot remember.
RClander retracts with Hobbyking 140mm Struts , swept little forwards to avoid nosing down.

I made a battery hatch into the cowling and used engine mount box as battery box. Works fine. Check pics..

Few things I would do now differently:
-I would make wing dihedral more scale. Would not be a big job.
-I would move retracts to scale position and get them retracting also scale-ish.

Now I have just installed 4x2" speakers with MrRCsound system. 4-blader also makes nice sound!!
Ceeray is offline Find More Posts by Ceeray
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by djmoose
C-Main Champ
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeray View Post

I made a battery hatch into the cowling and used engine mount box as battery box. Works fine. Check pics..
Do you have any pics of the hatch?
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by Lexta
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,852 Posts
Well that is a great job. I agree totally with the wing dihedral. I am toying with a folding wing but that is along way off.

I am also using the 140mm oleos from HK. The wheel wells on my kit are balsa and built into the wing. The pictures show the plastic wells.
What do you have.

The finished model weighs aprox the same as the FMS 1700mm series so I plan on using as much of their stuff as I can. Ie tail retract and retracts etc.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by Stuey
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
1,059 Posts
Looking forward to watching this. I got one of these just over a year ago for Xmas. Mine is powered by a SC 1.08 with pitts muffler (I fly lots of electric too!)
I think they have done a few mods, I noticed the retract mounts are canted forward in comparison with older pics I have seen. I also have the same retracts, sadly they did not last. On the maiden first landing was fairly smooth, but I ran off the edge of the patch. This cracked the trunion on one side and bent a pin. This prompted me to get the Eflite 60-120 retracts, which fitted with a little trimming. I got the newer versions that can take a 5mm leg or 10mm strut, and have a wider trunion. I have not had a chance to fly it since as the UK is about to become the new Atlantis
I have not done any mods yet other than mount the engine back about 30mm from the suggested position, and will trim the cowl to suit. Once I have a few flights under its belt a bit of a makeover will hopefully be on the cards!
I have a couple of pics of the retracts fitted if wanted.
Stuey is offline Find More Posts by Stuey