Joined Mar 2008
13,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
https://youtu.be/xwQkw-fmlt4

A less than effective interaction of wind gusts, quad, and ground surface

No Freakin' Flyin' Poney for me this time
Dang Jay,,,...bummer Man

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Our trial run was a bust. The motor and ESC keep heating up. The motor was so hot after a 5 minute run, you couldn't even touch it.

I called heads up RC and after a discussion, he told me the timing could be off. So, I have to check this as it's making a strange sound on spin up. This is when the timing is most noticeable.

Durk, I need your help (or anyone else) because you are the "Search Meister" I'm hitting a brick wall. I need to know how many poles are in my motor so I can set the timing up easier

This is my motor:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-E-690.htm

Thanks Fellas and Fellarett,
Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by jbrumberg
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
4,672 Posts
Mike- There was no damage to the "FC" that I can tell (yet). I usually just hover in and land w/o incident. I got some dirt and grass debris residue on the props. I should have just dropped it and killed motors at the landing point, but I hovered in with all this translational lift messing with the landing approach. The wind was really squirrelly and gusty. My garden anemometer does not "read" this kind of wind type and wind direction accurately.

I have a portable handheld anemometer that is pretty accurate, so I could bring it with me down to the "quadport", but that may be a little "overkill" even considering my challenges .

Crappy setup anyways. So much for Flight #29

More tests tomorrow

I hope that you can figure this out. For what it is worth I am really curious about your challenge.
jbrumberg is online now Find More Posts by jbrumberg
Last edited by jbrumberg; Yesterday at 05:12 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by kildar
keep um between the tree's
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Feb 2013
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Tracy, neat trick. Does your gas cap have that little hole on the side?

Mike.
hey ;mike/buzz ,

did not work

got screw gun out and drilled her
out = after I removed the tumblers . it was easy . got rag for gas cap now .

hot here

tracy and scooter ITS HOT
kildar is offline Find More Posts by kildar
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
13,468 Posts
Jay, your quad almost looked like it just did a flip

Glad to hear nothing is wrong *yet*. I hope the electrics are still working

Mike.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by frieslander
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
8,098 Posts
Quote:
Dang Jay,,,...bummer Man

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Our trial run was a bust. The motor and ESC keep heating up. The motor was so hot after a 5 minute run, you couldn't even touch it.

I called heads up RC and after a discussion, he told me the timing could be off. So, I have to check this as it's making a strange sound on spin up. This is when the timing is most noticeable.

Durk, I need your help (or anyone else) because you are the "Search Meister" I'm hitting a brick wall. I need to know how many poles are in my motor so I can set the timing up easier

This is my motor:

Mike.
Mike, why don't you simply ask Heads Up RC this question?.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by kildar
keep um between the tree's
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Feb 2013
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Dang Jay,,,...bummer Man

This is my motor:

Mike.

MIKE ,

imo get a programming card mike ? . what prop ,battery size and esc. ? I missed ? lol = and plane .

tracy
kildar is offline Find More Posts by kildar
Last edited by kildar; Yesterday at 05:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by Buzz
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
14,064 Posts
Oh No!

Walking through the "media room" i was stopped dead in my tracks when I heard they were talking about another "Drone/Plane incident that happened today.

This was insane! A passenger plane was on approach to a large metropolitan airport when a "DRONE" flew 100 ft under their wing. It should be on the news in your area now.

I don't think we, as quad pilots, are going to win this battle because the only thing that makes it to the media is negative. Think of all the incredible, life saving, SAR missions,, etc that happen fairly often. You probably won't see that on the news. Another case of fear and hate due to lack of knowledge.

What can we do? FLY SAFELY because we are educated in the world of r/c.
And, if you can catch the "Idiots" you can make them unrecognizable to their own ma ma.. (that was obviously supposed to be a joke)
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
13,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander View Post
Mike, why don't you simply ask Heads Up RC this question?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kildar View Post
MIKE ,

imo get a programming card mike ? . what prop ,battery size and esc. ? I missed ? lol = and plane .

tracy
I did a bunch of research on timing the ESC. By the sounds of it, I will be sick and tired of..."beep," "beep, beep," "beep,beep,beep," etc, etc., by the time I'm done If I don't throw the stick fast enough to it's lowest position on the last "sing along tone/beep" she will take off from the bench like a rocket Timing is done with the prop on You must be vewwy, vewwy carefull

EDIT: I hope this is the problem to my motor heating up so hot. I read that, that was one of the problems. Timing!

Mike.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,448 Posts
Hey Guys, got the truck loaded at 12:30 AZ time and got a room in El Paso TX. I'll get an early start in the morning and try to get out of Tx for next stop.
I can't hardly believe it this new Ford U Haul 20 ft will run 85 mph fully loaded it loves the gas though I think about 7 mpg at 80 mph, glad my brother is paying for the gas lol.
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Today, 12:15 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
13,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
Hey Guys, got the truck loaded at 12:30 AZ time and got a room in El Paso TX. I'll get an early start in the morning and try to get out of Tx for next stop.
I can't hardly believe it this new Ford U Haul 20 ft will run 85 mph fully loaded it loves the gas though I think about 7 mpg at 80 mph, glad my brother is paying for the gas lol.
Happy trails Man. I always thought those rental trucks had gas governors on them. They suck big time

Terry, my first run with our air boat was a total bust man. I have to time the motor through the ESC.

Stay safe Bro,
Mike.
Old Today, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by CraigHB
crash tested
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
A passenger plane was on approach to a large metropolitan airport when a "DRONE" flew 100 ft under their wing.
What kind of numbskull doesn't know better than to fly in controlled air space. Good way to kill a plane load of people. That kind of negligence is for sure going to mess it up for everyone else.
CraigHB is offline Find More Posts by CraigHB
Old Today, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by Acid Burn
I WANT A PONY!
United States, MI, Charter Twp of Clinton
Joined Mar 2015
153 Posts
I submit for the Flying Pony Award:
Acid Burn is online now Find More Posts by Acid Burn
Old Today, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by jbrumberg
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
4,672 Posts
Terry- Have a safe trip in that box rocket

AB- Sorry to see your P 38 all cracked up . Definitely merits consideration for the "Flyin' Pony Award."

It was sunny then a shower and Tstorm to start my day here. The only Tstorm cell in the entire NE CONUS and it was right there over JaysterAcres . Sun is breaking out now though This "activity" was "supposed" to start in the early PM's according to the NWS yesterday.

The test flights will continue hopefully.

Mike- The "FC" slid off my 1'X1' landing board, caught the grass at the board's edge ,and flipped over backwards as I killed the motors. I am lucky that I fly and "land" over vegetation.

I saw that news report of that multi-rotor flying at an old abandoned airport and into the JFK airport's airspace, but that was it. As of last evening I have not seen any additional media reports. I got the impression from the initial report that it was an Inspire multi-rotor.
jbrumberg is online now Find More Posts by jbrumberg