Old May 14, 2015, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by llasov
Penny. Penny. Penny
United States, MD, Reisterstown
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
Discussion
UMX Radian vs Sport Cub S

Which one of the 2 would be best to learn to fly?

If this has already been discussed, my apologies. If so, Please tell me how to find the discussion.
llasov is offline Find More Posts by llasov
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2015, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
Unregistered User
United States, LA
Joined Apr 2014
1,769 Posts
Sport Cub S is undoubtedly the better trainer.
Eagle2Nitro is offline Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Youtube Channel
Old May 15, 2015, 02:36 AM
Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Joined Nov 2008
949 Posts
I have both, I do say the UMX Radian is way easier to fly for a beginner because it float and give you way more time to think how to react. Having said that the Sport Cub S is a very fun plane and all most a must have. Love them both.

Edmond
Edmond Y is online now Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old May 15, 2015, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
891 Posts
Sport cub will allow you to progress much faster due to SAFE.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old May 15, 2015, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by microheli
Joined Jul 2006
838 Posts
Sport Cub S is easier to fly because of the Safe modes. And she have ailerons which are needet if you really want to learn fly planes.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old May 15, 2015, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,623 Posts
Quote:
UMX Radian vs Sport Cub S?
Yes.

You can forget all the malarkey about SAFE somehow making the Sport Cub better. You can forget all the malarkey about 3 vs 4 channel--flying is flying eitherway. You move the sticks exactly the same way in flight.

One thing for sure. The Radian will fly as easily and safely as the Sport Cub AND you will not grow dependent on electronic gizmos to keep you from crashing. The Radian is stable in roll, pitch and airspeed without SAFE. The Sport Cub will not level itself in pitch. It only restricts you to 10 climb or dive in beginner mode. It will let you dive at 10 into the ground. The Radian will regain level flight hands off the controls.

So the only answer to Sport Cub S vs Radian is "yes." They both can teach you to fly very well. Each has its advantages. The Cub has landing gear. The Radian can teach you to fly AND soar. Heck, buy both. You KNOW you'll own 'em both eventually!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old May 15, 2015, 10:02 AM
WOT and going nowhere
Joined Aug 2014
891 Posts
Pretty sure the sport cub has self level in beginner mode...
Old May 15, 2015, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by llasov
Penny. Penny. Penny
United States, MD, Reisterstown
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
I did, in fact, buy both. Hopefully wifey will not notice. Waiting for more responses to decide which box to open first.

I have a Spectrum DX6i. Should I use this transmitter rather than the stock one?
llasov is offline Find More Posts by llasov
Old May 15, 2015, 11:03 AM
WOT and going nowhere
Joined Aug 2014
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasov View Post
I did, in fact, buy both. Hopefully wifey will not notice. Waiting for more responses to decide which box to open first.

I have a Spectrum DX6i. Should I use this transmitter rather than the stock one?
I'd say yes... just make sure that you set it up right for SAFE and the multiple modes.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Sport Cub S is easier to fly because of the Safe modes. And she have ailerons which are needet if you really want to learn fly planes.
I agree due to recent circus stances . iv been flying 3 Chanel for years putting rudder on the right stick with thu elevator and leaving throttle on the left.,then i bought the umx carbon cub and found that it was a very difficult plane to fly due to the fact that it requires right and left coordinated turns. anyway I am getting the hang of it and would have mastered it by now if it weren't windy every day and night. Get the sport cub the good thing about the radian is you can fly it in your own back yard lol
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
Old May 15, 2015, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by microheli
Joined Jul 2006
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

Yes.

You can forget all the malarkey about SAFE somehow making the Sport Cub better. You can forget all the malarkey about 3 vs 4 channel--flying is flying eitherway. You move the sticks exactly the same way in flight.
But there is a difference between rudder and ailerons and there is a difference between dihedral and non dihedral planes.
If you can fly a easy beginner 3ch plane with dihedral that not mean than you can flying planes and you will crash all jets, aerobatic an nonbeginner planes.
You have learn to use all 4 channels on a non selflevelling plane and this is possible with the Sport Cub but not on the Radian. Only after that you are ready for every plane and you can say you can flying planes.
Quote:
One thing for sure. The Radian will fly as easily and safely as the Sport Cub AND you will not grow dependent on electronic gizmos to keep you from crashing. The Radian is stable in roll, pitch and airspeed without SAFE. The Sport Cub will not level itself in pitch.
Safe in beginner mode or with panic button level itself in all axis including pitch. If you stall the Radian and you make nothing he lose a lot of altitude and can go nose up in the ground if you are low.
Quote:
So the only answer to Sport Cub S vs Radian is "yes." They both can teach you to fly very well. Each has its advantages. The Cub has landing gear. The Radian can teach you to fly AND soar. Heck, buy both. You KNOW you'll own 'em both eventually!
The Radian can only teach to fly a beginner plane. I recommend this plane for sailing and the Sport Cub for learning to use all 4 channels and the basic aerobatic maneuvers like loops, rolls, inverted, knife edge etc. and if you in trouble the panic button recover the plane in less than a half second.
After that you are ready for every plane.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old May 15, 2015, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by david5272
yeah boy
Newton, NH
Joined Jul 2003
42 Posts
Rockin Robbin, you like to answer any question with Yes! I se
david5272 is offline Find More Posts by david5272
Old May 17, 2015, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by Sarge707
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
272 Posts
Champ is Better than both the SCS and UMX radian- No safety valve to rely on? I had all 3?
Sarge707 is online now Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old May 21, 2015, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,286 Posts
I say sport cub S is the way to go.

For those first few steps when you are brand new, any of the three mentioned (sport cub S, umx radian, or champ) will work great.

The difference comes once you get past the "brand new" learner stage and want to move on. With the champ or the UMX radian, its time to get a new plane. With the Sport Cub S, you just have to flip a switch, and you have a whole new plane.

As for growing dependent on electronic gismos, I have heard a few people mention that, and really, have to kinda laugh (to myself). It normally goes something like this :
"I got a plane with safe, and could fly it easily, then I bought another plane without SAFE, and immediately crashed it, SAFE is bad!!"
Really? You got good at flying in beginner mode, then thought it was time to move on to another plane? Common sense should tell you that's just not how it works, and as it turns out, most people do figure out on their own that just because you can fly in beginner mode with the plane doing most of the flying, doesn't mean you are ready for the next step....

You only grow as dependent on the electronic gizmos as you allow yourself to. Its called self control. Just because your car can do 0-60 in 3 seconds and has a top speed of 200mph, doesn't mean you have to floor the pedal everywhere you go.

The people who think safe can teach you to fly are dead wrong. SAFE DOESN'T teach you to fly, it cant, its just a suit of sensors. SAFE is there to keep crashes to a minimum as you teach yourself to fly

"Panic mode" is not there to help you fly. "panic mode" is there to prevent damage to the plane in situations where you otherwise would have crashed. In situations where you don't know what to do to get yourself out of the situation you are in, you hit the panic button. If you are so dependent on the panic button that you cant fly a plane that doesn't have it, you are a terribly flier, so you SHOULD only fly planes with the panic button available.

I like to think about the SAFE modes as stages of life.

Beginner mode is like being a baby. You really cant do anything for yourself. Your parents do pretty much everything for you. You do have general control over where you go, but if you try to go someplace dangerous, like the stairs, the parent is there to stop you. Sure, you would probably be fine on the stairs 9 times out of 10, just like 9 out of 10 beginners would be fine with a little more elevator control. But having taught someone to fly why DOES need strict limits on elevator, I can see why its so limited.

Intermediate mode is one you shouldn't be in very long. This is where you, as a baby, are turning into a toddler. You pull yourself up onto the table, and take those first steps. Most times, it doesn't go very well and you revert to crawling, just like most beginners will go right back to beginner mode, but you keep trying and eventually, you can walk, though not all that well at first, with practice you will get it down. Once you get out of intermediate mode, you really shouldn't ever need to use it again.

Once you get walking down, you are ready for advanced mode. No that doesn't mean you are ready to be on your own, you are still just a kid, and like a kid needs their parents to be there to help them, you need the panic button for those "crap what do I do" moments.

Think of panic like a parent. When you are a kid, you get yourself into a lot of situations where you don't know what to do, and many times if you don't have some intervention, you are going to get hurt. In swoops the parent )panic button) and saves you. As a kid (new flyer), its OK to depend on your parents. Its normal. But over time (as you gain flying experience), you should need less and less parental "saving", to the point where you never need it at all. At that point you move out (buy another plane). Yea, there will be times when you crash and burn, but that's part of life.....
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur