Old Feb 06, 2015, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,706 Posts
Discussion
Power Lab 6 , or Power Lab 8?

I've been holding off buying batteries, due to the fact I' m not sure when I can fly again-- stroke related for those who don't already know-- i have already got he parts to build this PS-- DPS-600PB Builds - hints, tips and build plans
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581061
And it can handle either one-- I only plan on doing 12s planes or less. The PL 8 can charge faster, but is that all that important? As far a I know, we don't have power at our field, most of the charging will be at home for now-- Although a generator would be nice to have --in the winter months here!

So pros and cons on either
Cooler.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2015, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
7,214 Posts
Get a the PL 8 they had returned units recently a nice saving btw
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Feb 06, 2015, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
599 Posts
I did the same thing about a year or so ago. Got a PL 8 listed the scratch and dent section, great charger, good price
70 ragtop is offline Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Old Feb 06, 2015, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by bri6672
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,461 Posts
It's all about what works for you, I have the PL8 duo and love it, I had my buddy get the PL6 since he is not going to charge the big quantity and size I am. With the jets you are interested in I would do PL8 for sure, always good to have that extra power!!

I run the maxamps 24 volt power supply off a Honda 2200 and that keeps my flying all day with just 2 sets of packs per model! There are better power supply options by the max amps is cheap and I never really charge over 60 amps at a time anyway.....
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Feb 07, 2015, 04:09 AM
Find More Posts by icicles
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
701 Posts
I run two PL8 's. And a Honda 2kva, which is too small as I can trip it out pretty easily. Looking at getting another.
If i were to buy a new one now I'd go the PL8 duo, mainly because it has a smaller footprint than the two PL8' s
Go the 8 as it will future proof yourself. Just in case you have a fancy unforeseen project that needs a weird battery combination. You never know.
Did have the Thunder Power 820's but killed two, couldn't handle the pace. Were replaced under warranty then promptly sold. Purchased the PL8 s and never looked back. Just updated the PL8 's software for my new Blend 427 cells

Chris
icicles is offline Find More Posts by icicles
Old Feb 07, 2015, 05:48 AM
Joined Dec 2008
6,706 Posts
Thank you guys-- I had figured the PL-8 would be your choice--but wanted to find out for sure!

This not a political l statement-- just my thoughts-- relating to what I said in post #1--- Not that any one wants to be considered "disabled" -but
a stroke will do that-- , the fact of the mater is , I am-- my state and county consider me as-- -- now -the Feds ( SS ) confirmed it the other day. Not being as mobile , as I once was- and not being able to ever work again kind of sucks-- But, who likes to work anyway?--Side note -- my brain and thumbs still work! My right leg--not so much.

We often bad mouth the government--complain about deductions from our checks--but when a life altering event happens-- they were there for me. I would have been, more than a little up-set, after paying into the system for more than 45+ yrs, had they not. Anyway , thanks for listening, and the comradery , here on RCG , is well appreciated. Hard to find a finer group of people anywhere..
Old Feb 07, 2015, 08:12 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I run two PL8 's. And a Honda 2kva, which is too small as I can trip it out pretty easily. Looking at getting another.
If i were to buy a new one now I'd go the PL8 duo, mainly because it has a smaller footprint than the two PL8' s
Go the 8 as it will future proof yourself. Just in case you have a fancy unforeseen project that needs a weird battery combination. You never know.
Did have the Thunder Power 820's but killed two, couldn't handle the pace. Were replaced under warranty then promptly sold. Purchased the PL8 s and never looked back. Just updated the PL8 's software for my new Blend 427 cells

Chris
Chris how many amps are you pulling and what power supply? We have run 2 PL8 duo's on my Honda and never had an issue.
Old Feb 08, 2015, 02:14 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
701 Posts
I run two Meanwell 1000 watt supplies. And i have limited the PL8 's as such.
At full capacity each PL8 is 1344 watts from memory.
And I'm pretty sure the Honda is only good for 2va for short periods, not constant. Quite often my PL8' s are at 40amps.

I tend to high c charge everything. And have a golden rule of not charging any lipos at home. Absolutely no need.
Get to the field, start charging, assemble models. By the time I have assembled them I'm charged, 20 minutes if that.
Reverse the procedure at the end of the day. Except they go into storage charge.

Chris
Old Feb 08, 2015, 08:06 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,461 Posts
Is the 2va the same as the 2200? We had 2 PL8 duo's running off my Honda a couple months ago, I was pulling about 50 amps on mine and my buddy was pulling 30 amps on his and man the Honda didn't even seem to be working to hard!??
Old Feb 08, 2015, 08:53 AM
Joined Dec 2008
6,706 Posts
Here's the specs
https://generatorhouse.com.au/honda-...-generator-kit

I'll ask this--does the generator have to be the inverter type, or will a standard generator work as well? Quite a difference in price.
Old Feb 08, 2015, 04:55 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,461 Posts
Here is what I'm using, I plug my power supply and charger into it and charge away!

http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...models/eu2000i
Old Feb 08, 2015, 05:43 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
701 Posts
That's the Honda I use.
Thinking it also depends on cell count. I tend to charge 8 x 6s at once. Plus I have two CellPro 4 chargers for my RX packs going as well

Chris
Love my Honda
Old Feb 08, 2015, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,706 Posts
Sorry, correction-- got two mixed up--

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5434_200585434
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Feb 08, 2015 at 06:41 PM.