New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,933 Posts
Have finished the install on the new centre panel, managed to get the flap geometry the same as the original wing (wasn't easy though!).

If my sums are right the wing loading hasn't changed at all, just the aspect ratio.

For reference my original wing is 613 grammes and the extended wing is 718 grammes, both FCL (Full Carbon Light) layup, 2 x Futaba S3172SV with frames and Tragi looms.

Weather doesn't look good this week but I'll report on the flight test soon.

GB
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,933 Posts
Managed to fly the big wing for the first time today, electro launch only.

Flying weight is 1,950 grammes against 1,850 grammes for the 801.

Handling seems to be much the same, possibly a little bit harder to fly accurately.

I needed three or four clicks of down trim compared to the memorised settings of the 801, it definitely needed to be flown faster, especially when thermalling. I have not checked the C of G as I expect it should not have moved, maybe I will!

The flap/elevator compensation for crow braking also seemed a little bit out, too much down elevator for a small amount of flap and not enough for full flap (it wants to stop dead in the air, undershooting the landing is easy!). Effect of the longer span flaps at a guess.

I think it will be better as a pure glider carrying some ballast, just a feeling that I need to confirm.

Not very scientific and I hope to do some better testing in completely still air but I overlayed two flight traces (from different days) and it appears to show the exact same climb rate on launch and an average sink rate of -0.9 m/s for the 801 and -0.65 m/s for the 802 (flaps in 'cruise').

Cheers

GB
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie