HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:38 PM
Joined Aug 2014
20 Posts
Discussion
wow I suck

Second day in a row that my first flight ended in catastrophe. Came up and hovered for a few seconds, it started drifting a little and got a little farther out than I wanted. Turned and had it headed back at a pretty good clip and ended crashing and snapped the fethering shaft.

I think these carbon fiber blades are just too heavy for this n125cp. Too much inertia for the little parts to handle.
6 Channel Noob is online now Find More Posts by 6 Channel Noob
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2014, 07:09 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,467 Posts
CF blades are very hard and transmit impact to other parts. They should not be too heavy, though.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 14, 2014, 08:00 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
166 Posts
new to collective pitch? I remember (not too long ago) the first time I flew my mcpx v2, and had it coming at me pretty fast with me standing there with my eyes wide open kind of wondering what to do. that was the first time flying outside and moving up from my 120sr. took me a while to learn cp control.

just be glad there are replacement parts. I think I replaced most every part in my 120sr and mcpx v2, but then when moving to my 130x, so far no crashes because of learning on the others.

buying a heli is the cheapest part of owning a heli
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Sep 14, 2014, 08:20 PM
Joined Aug 2014
20 Posts
yeah fairly new to CP. But I'm not complaining. I like working on them but I think I need to get a v120d02s because I am spending all of my time fixing instead of flying.

I flew and crashed for an hour the other day without any disasters. It wasn't until I put these new CF blades on that I started having things break. These CF blades are at least 3 times the weight of the standard blades. The blades are still perfect, but the heli just can't take the punishment.
6 Channel Noob is online now Find More Posts by 6 Channel Noob
Old Sep 14, 2014, 09:49 PM
United States, OH, Miamisburg
Joined Oct 2013
232 Posts
My first

real flight with a CP was in living room..told my son.."I got this"..thank GOD it was a 977...smacked me in the side of my face before I could react..safety glasses for now on!!! BUT once you get it down? You will never look at FP the same again....
Tom W. is offline Find More Posts by Tom W.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:08 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,218 Posts
Novus 125 is not a new c/p flyer heli. Neither is V120D02s. V120D02s is stable but over reaction bird is quite agile. Siper c/p or Mini c/p. If new to helis a c/p is hard way to learn.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:52 AM
Joined Aug 2014
36 Posts
Never mind 6CN. Just remember that helicopters work by sucking.
(...the air from the top...)
For micro-helis I prefer cheap plastic blades. Chip one, just cut off a similar amount from the other. And as someone said, the more flexible (or fall apart) the better they absorb impacts without cost.
Phecda is offline Find More Posts by Phecda
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:42 AM
Joined Jun 2013
399 Posts
Dont try and run before you can walk.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-t...licopters.html

I spent quite a bit of time learning to hover, just getting it light on the skids if its tipping in 1 direction give nudges to correct, work up to get it off the ground just a tiny abount and giving small nudges to correct any drift, and work up till you are hovering a few inches of the ground.

any time you start to loose it, hit throttle hold but dont dump the throttle. Leave the throttle where it is.
bazsound is offline Find More Posts by bazsound
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:49 AM
I've got a Heli hankering
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2014
348 Posts
my first CP, still is have two now a Blade SR....Ones belted now, flies so smooth.
The other stock except metal head, its actually dialed in pretty good.
Parts, I have em! Nowadays though the only thing I might break is the stupid plastic blade grips when the weather is bad outside and I fly the one without
metal head parts and snap a blade grip.
My tail motor on the stock one is the original too! I flipped the tail and it barely gets warm now!

But boy when I first started flying the SR, whew! Smacked it tail first within two
minutes of flying it, then rebuilt it promptly smacked it nose in from about 30 feet
up....that was an awful sound....but a tail boom, blade grips, feathering shaft and canopy later she was flying again....haven't dumped either since....well I did clip
the tool box in the garage one day practicing orientations...blade grip broke of course, and tail boom....using knitting needles now....they are nice, and strong!
But I haven't had cause to try and bend one here lately....
train06 is online now Find More Posts by train06
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:26 AM
Joined Jun 2013
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by train06 View Post
my first CP, still is have two now a Blade SR....Ones belted now, flies so smooth.
The other stock except metal head, its actually dialed in pretty good.
Parts, I have em! Nowadays though the only thing I might break is the stupid plastic blade grips when the weather is bad outside and I fly the one without
metal head parts and snap a blade grip.
My tail motor on the stock one is the original too! I flipped the tail and it barely gets warm now!

But boy when I first started flying the SR, whew! Smacked it tail first within two
minutes of flying it, then rebuilt it promptly smacked it nose in from about 30 feet
up....that was an awful sound....but a tail boom, blade grips, feathering shaft and canopy later she was flying again....haven't dumped either since....well I did clip
the tool box in the garage one day practicing orientations...blade grip broke of course, and tail boom....using knitting needles now....they are nice, and strong!
But I haven't had cause to try and bend one here lately....
Im another for breaking my heli 2 minutes after its first flight, broke a swash link loosing controll and landing in between some of my drum hardware . Had a bad blade strike and off came a swash ball.

So far ive broke multiple swash balls (gluing them back on) cracked several blades, worn out several main gears, bent tail blade, cracked battery holder, lost a swash to blade link and cracked canopy oh and also broke the tail stand that stops tail blade stricking the ground.

all from getting a bit too confident. Also from trying to do flips aswell only managed 1 out of 10 attemps
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:53 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,218 Posts
One problem when learning c/p is some folks try to baby heli slowly off ground.
This messes with gyros. Leap of faith is get heli out of ground effect and let gyros help you. Pinching sticks gives smoother input. Thumbs is for fixed wing.
C/p's cut little slack and you need to lead the heli. not be with it or behind. If bird is going right you should be feeding left to stop it. Unless right is where you want it to go. This takes time but you will get the right grove.

Learning to fly c/p with obsolete fly-bared micro is really doing it the hard way.
Super c/p/ Devo 7e is good way to go. Old School was Fly-bared 450's. they gave you a sporting change as size and mass work in flyers favor.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:03 PM
Joined Jun 2013
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
One problem when learning c/p is some folks try to baby heli slowly off ground.
This messes with gyros. Leap of faith is get heli out of ground effect and let gyros help you. Pinching sticks gives smoother input. Thumbs is for fixed wing.
C/p's cut little slack and you need to lead the heli. not be with it or behind. If bird is going right you should be feeding left to stop it. Unless right is where you want it to go. This takes time but you will get the right grove.

Learning to fly c/p with obsolete fly-bared micro is really doing it the hard way.
Super c/p/ Devo 7e is good way to go. Old School was Fly-bared 450's. they gave you a sporting change as size and mass work in flyers favor.
Not babying it off the ground caused my first crash which broke the swash .

Ive never felt like slowly taking off messed the gyro up, infact being barely off the ground just feels a bit slidy but its stille asily controllable. Also ive not found that lifting off slowly was any harder than popping it of the ground. Myabe a litlle cyclic is needed to level the heli but other than that.

Popping it off the ground for a begginner is a sure fire way that if its not set up right or something happened and it tilted you have not got the reaction time to correct it.

as i learned pretty fast these cp helis can get away from you pretty quick and before you no it its not recoverable to a beginner.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:21 PM
I've got a Heli hankering
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2014
348 Posts
I think it depends on the operator, some do like to ease it up,
myself included.....this has taught me control...has worked for
myself at least. I do this with my SR's on landing and take off.
For me at least it's been practice practice practice.
Both with helis, and a sim (that little gem right there got me from
thumbing to pinch, and for me at least pinch control has
been key for me to be able to grasp quicker, more precise
control on the sticks! For me at least trying to fly thumbs, produced
Erratic flying and over corrections in my flying, now I am
much more controlled with movements, and have learned to
Predict movements of the heli, so that now I lift off very smooth,
Fly somewhat controlled (still working on that), and can set it
down light as a feather.
Rodney
train06 is online now Find More Posts by train06
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:44 AM
Joined Aug 2014
36 Posts
Hang on. The Novus 125CP, if that's what the OP meant, is a flybar helicopter. In which case, there are no cyclic gyros to mess-up before liftoff!

Regardless of that, on a flybarless with 3 gyros like my v922, it is no more difficult to "centre the cyclic" by "feel" on the ground than it will be in the air. Furthermore, if one drops throttle back to zero, the swashplate self-resets to centre (neutral). Easy lift-offs are no problem, though I can see that mucking around for too long on the ground might require a bit of cyclic-waggling.

What is not made very clear, except by reading newsgroups, is that 3-gyro heli's have to be dead still during initialisation. Even then, if the heli shows significant wayward tendencies before liftoff, it pays to unplug the battery and do initialisation again. Sometimes mine just doesn't initialise right, though it's rare. (it must be still, not necessarily horizontal though that is the norm)

I do sometimes "jump off the ground" in long grass. But that's because the skids might get stuck in the grass, or a blade of grass might interfere with the tail rotor, or I'm just in a hurry
Phecda is offline Find More Posts by Phecda
Last edited by Phecda; Sep 16, 2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:12 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,231 Posts
I'm sure the majority of us did more fixing than flying early on. I know I did but if you keep trying one day it will click.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt