HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2014, 02:42 AM
United Kingdom, Gt Lon
Joined Dec 2013
91 Posts
Discussion
Ok to fly in 30c+ weather?

Hi all,
I've taken my quad on holiday with me, and the weather is now around 30c.

Given that in cooler climates, the motors are warm after a flight, is it ok to fly in this kind of heat and direct sunlight?

What will the impact on battery life be?

Thanks all!
xerxesbenario is offline Find More Posts by xerxesbenario
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:10 AM
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
3,378 Posts
Its OK. But not more than 40C, that could be near the limit...
GhostMaster is online now Find More Posts by GhostMaster
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:18 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2014
133 Posts
bummer, that's a usual summer down here hahaha
thatpajeroguy is offline Find More Posts by thatpajeroguy
Old Sep 14, 2014, 09:59 AM
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
342 Posts
A fair number of electrical components seem to crap out at 60C and above. That was a common thing to see happen with UAV's working the skies of Iraq. Large or small, a fair number of them started experiencing electrical issues above that level. Especially those that were left sitting in the sun to heat soak for some time prior to flight. Most of that got corrected with better electronics and cooling fans later.

40C to 50C should not be a problem but understand you should monitor or at least check your motor and battery temps after flying. Let the batteries cool before re-charging. I've flown my stuff at temps above 40C with no problem.
PatR is offline Find More Posts by PatR