SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
96 Posts
Discussion
Quad flew away today.

I lost my DJI F450 with a Naza M Lite today. It's been acting odd since hitting a tree and breaking an arm last week. I did some successful test flight yesterday and after moving my antenna was going to try some more today.

After letting the GPS warm up I took off and tested my failsafe. It worked well. I then went up to about 20 feet up and 100 feet out to put my FPV goggles on when the quad stopped responding and started drifting with the wind. Unfortunately, the wind was gusting to 25 from the north so it started to drift rather quickly. I hit the return to home button and it started to hold position. After a few seconds it then flew off to the south east at maybe 60+ MPH. I tried hitting manual mode, atti mode, and atti gps mode. None of it made a difference. I should have hit throttle hold, but I didn't think about it at the time.

I've heard of Nazas flying away before, but never quite like this. This is my third and last fly away. The first time it started oscillating while going strait up with no control. I hit TH to save that one. The second time was last week when it started to fish bowl and ignored all commands. I got it back using manual mode that time. I think it's time for a new quad and a new flight controller.

RIP:
RS2K is offline Find More Posts by RS2K
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 09:17 PM
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Feb 2008
230 Posts
Welcome to the fly away club.ha ha.I know ,no so funny but we all has lose or broked a quad for the fly away problem.Your solution :Use a vector osd (osd included).I'm using it and is almost like the naza fc; but at less do not fly away your quad.Good luck and sorry for your lost.
norberto83 is offline Find More Posts by norberto83
Old Sep 12, 2014, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
96 Posts
It happens. My rule is don't fly it if you can't stand to loose it. I bought it used and have several abusive hours on it. It's not really a huge loss. I'm more annoyed that I lost the brand new camera and antennae I just put on it.

I think the Eagle Tree Vector is going to be my next FC, but I can't find any in stock at street price. I might get a Naze32 or something for my next quad until the Eagle Trees come back in stock.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 09:46 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,405 Posts
or got back to KISS. Just use a norma high quality FC that doesn't have GPS. Like Naz32, CC3d
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:08 PM
Joined Apr 2007
96 Posts
That's a good way to do it, but I like the GPS features way too much. Position hold is a godsend in the wind I usually fly in.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:41 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,140 Posts
My fly away was about 3 months ago but not as expensive as yours as I had not put on the FPV gear then. If I had it on there would have been no problems. (possibly)

Went flying with a mate with FPV and I had my new big quad and everything was against me. New place which was a small opening between high trees, sun was low and exactly where I lot the quad. Mine was operator error with a basic FC450 controller and did not know which way was back to me.

So have just got a carbon fiber Blackout clone for $30 and it is all set up now with FPV. This TX is amazing for 200mw, up to 1.5klm and perfect video quite low. This supplier has modified theirs to take out static. The camera is also great for a small one.

http://www.surveilzone.com/mini-5.8g...ter-fpv-ws1174
http://www.surveilzone.com/DC5V-plas...m-lens-for-fpv

So I installed a Naze32 and setting them up is so easy. For my second one I just backed up my settings and imported them into the second TX but really it works straight out of the box after loading the standard setup.

Now I am thinking of the Naze32 with GPS, magnetometer etc and am looking at where I can find out info on whether it is any good but that search brought me here on the word Naze32.

Guess no one knows anything on the full house Naze32?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS2K View Post
That's a good way to do it, but I like the GPS features way too much. Position hold is a godsend in the wind I usually fly in.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Sep 12, 2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:53 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS2K View Post
makes sense for some applications, like if you have a gimbal and you're doing video

but I unplugged the gps from my Discopro Naza quad and don't miss it

however surprisingly, it is the high performance mini quads that are best in the wind. Hardly feel it is windy at all - they are flying bricks, and with modern FC (ie not DJI) they are stable and intuitive to fly.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Sep 13, 2014, 09:55 PM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
or got back to KISS. Just use a norma high quality FC that doesn't have GPS. Like Naz32, CC3d
I have to agree with BC that KISS is still the best for multirotor, i used to have bunch of heavy quads with GPS but after few stiff robo flight i finally ditch the brain and fly a dumb quad. Hey simple cheap 3 axis gyro no GPS quad is far fun than ever. Flew a kilometers away many feet altitude, hover steadily in the heavy winds, weight 80 grams and bought it from toy stores. Had many great 720p HD ariel videography builf under $150 dollars.
Never under estimate KISS (Keep It Simple St***p) build.

Here my FPV WL-TOYS V929. Simple and yet fun medium range FPV adventure.

ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
Old Sep 14, 2014, 03:14 AM
Joined Jul 2013
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d View Post
I have to agree with BC that KISS is still the best for multirotor, i used to have bunch of heavy quads with GPS but after few stiff robo flight i finally ditch the brain and fly a dumb quad. Hey simple cheap 3 axis gyro no GPS quad is far fun than ever. Flew a kilometers away many feet altitude, hover steadily in the heavy winds, weight 80 grams and bought it from toy stores. Had many great 720p HD ariel videography builf under $150 dollars.
Never under estimate KISS (Keep It Simple St***p) build.

Here my FPV WL-TOYS V929. Simple and yet fun medium range FPV adventure.

][/URL]
Thumb camera just 3g, is very suitable for mini Quad:
http://www.surveilzone.com/0.008lux-...3.6-24v-hs1151
davidsz is online now Find More Posts by davidsz
Old Sep 14, 2014, 08:56 AM
Joined May 2010
959 Posts
Bringing back the memories. Saw $1200 quad leave for good this spring. Never again fly without marcopolo tracker.
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:35 AM
United States, NY, Liverpool
Joined Jan 2014
74 Posts
sorry to hear that dude.
rattydude77 is online now Find More Posts by rattydude77
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:57 AM
HighFlyGuy
Joined Feb 2014
92 Posts
That sucks, man, I lost a 30$ air hogz modded bipe plane a few years ago, I'm still torn about that. I was flying super high as I always did, I looked away for 1 second, loked back and I couldn't find it. It had to have 300 feet or higher, no joke. I have great eye sight, but man, dunno what the heck. I'm so sad, I don't have another one and can't find another to buy. It flew so great, mannnn, I'm mad now lol
highflyguy is offline Find More Posts by highflyguy
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:43 PM
Joined May 2013
233 Posts
I'm really sorry.

I know the angst of a flyaway. Out of 4 I recovered 2 - the other two are lost forever. The part that's really lousy is the after-flyaway search. Up and down all around, could've swore it was here, there - oh brother what a pain in the ass.

My nano upt and blew away in strong winds aloft that I wasnt ready for / it went to some crazy specking altitude then vanished. The one that really bothered me was the 180qx. It wasn't flying right either - and in there lies the peril because there is this unpredictability factor that throws a wildcard in the mix - literally. Never got it back / and I searched for two hours . Lost my altimeter with it too. Really really bummed me.

Anyway - by all means use a different flight controller.

Pete
Petepala1961 is online now Find More Posts by Petepala1961
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:00 PM
Joined Apr 2007
96 Posts
I later found out a solar flare was hitting the earth at about the same time my quad flew away. I think this helped lead to the loss of the GPS signal which lead to the Naza deciding to do its own thing.

I just replaced the F450 with a QAV400 and a Naze32. I may replace the naze with an Eagle Tree Vector in the near future though.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:17 PM
Joined Nov 2013
289 Posts
probably right. saturday was the maximum for a very large solar flare with CME that was aimed straight at us.

you should definitely check the forecasts and news for that kind of stuff before flying, especially with gps.
driftme is online now Find More Posts by driftme