HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Discussion
Materials for more exotic RC design

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to find out what people think would be a good material to make the wings of an RC plane with wings which can bend and change shape. I would like to know what materials people would find most suitable for the surface; preferably this would be a light, flexible material which is easy to stretch, but not so easy that it won't return to its original shape after doing so.
Rikki225 is offline Find More Posts by Rikki225
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:32 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,178 Posts
What do you really mean by 'stretch', as a rubber based material is one of the few 'stretchy' materials, and I don't think that is suitable for a wing.

There are flexible foams already being used, but 'stretch' ?
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:35 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,580 Posts
I followed a small Rc design years ago, that used flex wings.
Here's the article;

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091523/00145/6j?search=mujahid
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:48 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
There have been a few designs in the past that use some form of nylon (like kite fabric) over a flexible carbon-fiber rod frame. None have been massively successful because they tend to be limited in performance and expensive compared to traditional methods.... and they're usually butt-ugly as well.

I think EPP foam is about the best anyone's found.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:01 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,059 Posts
Look up the experimental F-111 that had what they called the Mission Adaptive Wing. A wing made of unidirectional carbon with the fibers oriented spanwise would allow for chordwise changes in shape with no separate control surfaces. Just an idea.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds