HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:51 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigVMN View Post
A co-worker and I came up with this idea, but I think it could only be done safely with an AR Parrot Drone. Since the quad has a camera that can be seen with a phone/tablet, it should be easy to do.

Rig it up with a red & blue flashing light, and the guts from a small walkie-talkie. Have it sitting on the roof of a store (like Wal-Mart) and wait for someone coming out. At random, fly the quad down in front of someone with the lights flashing (and a siren sound effect) and then via the walkie start saying (in a computer voice) “Security alert – please return to the store”. I would LOVE to see some of the looks we would get!
I think multirotors are getting enough bad press of late without people doing things like this to help dampen the image of our hobby. How about we keep the ideas to fun ones, not silly or stupid.
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
413 Posts
Oh for crying out loud people, don’t get your undies all in a bunch – I never said I was going to do it! If it could be set up with the permission of the store, and made safe, sure. I have no plans on making this come true.
CraigVMN is offline Find More Posts by CraigVMN
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:02 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
The point is it can't be made safe, even with full prop guards so fingers couldn't get chewed, it's still something with no redundancy that could fall from the sky onto someone and hurt them.

Imagine losing control for whatever reason and it flying out into the car park and running into someones head going 10-20mph.

That's without even thinking about it hitting a child.

Rule 1, never ever fly around people not aware of the craft(s) in the air
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:05 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
The point is it can't be made safe, even with full prop guards so fingers couldn't get chewed, it's still something with no redundancy that could fall from the sky onto someone and hurt them.

Imagine losing control for whatever reason and it flying out into the car park and running into someones head going 10-20mph.

That's without even thinking about it hitting a child.

Rule 1, never ever fly around people not aware of the craft(s) in the air
Your imagination is not imaginative enough. It will crash into a school bus causing the driver to lose control. The bus will careen over a cliff and crash into a school below, setting it on fire and killing all inside.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:10 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad View Post
Considering that all of the Walmart stores around here have police officers stationed inside (real ones, not rent-a-cops), I'd love to see the looks on your faces as you were arrested. Seriously guys... S#!t like this is what's going to get multiroters banned or regulated into oblivion. Fun stuff on the field is one thing, messing with bystanders is not a good idea.

-K
Hear Hear!! +10
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:45 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,180 Posts
Taking this way too seriously guys. It's already been established that everything in this thread are just wild ideas. Practicality and safety are beside the point.

If you could mount anything on your quad and not have to worry about police or killing someone, what would you do? That's the theme of this thread.

You want to put on red/blue flashers and impersonate a police car that vanishes into the night? Awesome! Want to make disposable terminators that you can send into a terrorist cell? Cool! Post your ideas here.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Taking this way too seriously guys. It's already been established that everything in this thread are just wild ideas. Practicality and safety are beside the point.

If you could mount anything on your quad and not have to worry about police or killing someone, what would you do? That's the theme of this thread.

You want to put on red/blue flashers and impersonate a police car that vanishes into the night? Awesome! Want to make disposable terminators that you can send into a terrorist cell? Cool! Post your ideas here.
Thank You!
CraigVMN is offline Find More Posts by CraigVMN
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:39 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
561 Posts
I thought the topic of this thread was 'Multirotor add ons for fun'? Not 'Lets do something stupid with our multirotor, maybe get someone hurt, have someone film it on their cell phone, and send it to the press, which leads to an all out ban'
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2012
63 Posts
Bad behavior will definitely create a ripple effect....
So let's try to do the opposite and create a positive ripple.
Create fun, imaginative, artistic, harmless vids that show people that multirotors can be great fun.
The average person has a negative connotation when you mention the word drone or unmanned aircraft, but that can be changed (I hope).

p.s.
Lots of cities,states are already trying to enact bans in the US.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but just want to say it's a real issue that we need to be aware of.
mjf185 is offline Find More Posts by mjf185
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2012
63 Posts
How about a burrito bomb?
http://www.gizmag.com/burrito-bomber-uav/25468/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MRHwGsRA#at=68
mjf185 is offline Find More Posts by mjf185
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:33 PM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,853 Posts
Jesus guys!

Anyone can get hurt anytime if you think too much into it. Do you all go into the desert to fly your quads? Is there never anyone around?

Dont tell me you have never flown and had spectators looking at what your doing.

Just be responsibe (as said at least once on every thread in rc groups)

No flamethrowers on your multis in the kids park OK, only at home

If i see anyone come near me when im flying I fly away, if they start to come towards me (many do as they have never seen one) I land and disarm.
ecks is offline Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:43 PM
Playing R/C lawn darts...
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined Nov 2003
155 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of placing a small boat distress air horn. Imagine the girlish giggle fits you would suffer when someone is watching your quad at a park and you buzz by (at a safe distance for all you sniviling nit-whits) and you light the horn off.

I'd probably pee myself from the laughter!
Spinnaker is offline Find More Posts by Spinnaker
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:33 PM
FPV Recon
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Nov 2005
195 Posts
I'd like a wireless amplified speaker on my quad and a mic on my Tx so I can "talk" to the deer and vagrants. But yes, careful not to crash from the fits of laughter.
Altimat is offline Find More Posts by Altimat
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:55 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
How is a vertibird attachment? Remember the Mattel vertibird helicopter? You could fly around and pick up things with the cargo hook..... This is not only fun, but will help hone your hovering skills. All you need is some mechanics wire / coat hanger, and something to carry. I used a foam block with a hop of wire about 10" in diameter to catch with the hook on the copter. I attached the hook with tape.
playing "vertibird" with the tricopter (6 min 36 sec)
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:52 AM
FPV Recon
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Nov 2005
195 Posts
I was almost singe-handedly responsible for the success of Rayovac with the help of my Vertibird. My battery habit was supported by mowing lawns.
Altimat is offline Find More Posts by Altimat