Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
I like Golden Age
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2007
235 Posts
Discussion
Marvel mystery oil ruins 4 cycles?

Hello,
I have a never used O.S. 4 cycle that I keep a bit of marvel mystery oil in it to keep it oiled during storage. A fellow modeler told me that Marvel mystery oil destroys the diaphragms in 4 cycle engines.
I did a search of forums and cannot find anything like that. In fact, to the contrary, lots people seem to use it in both 2 and 4 cycle.
So what’s up?
Is this personal opinion or is there some truth to it? Truth, of course, being empirical evidence backed up by data. Not something like "me and another fella both had engines go bad and we both used Marvel oil, so I know it must have been the marvel mystery oil."
Let me know your thoughts
ronj10 is offline Find More Posts by ronj10
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:49 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,322 Posts
Glow engines with silicone pressure regulating diaphragms or other silicone fuel system components are susceptible to damage by petroleum oils. This includes YS engine, two or four stroke, and later model OS pumped engines. The manuals are very specific so this shouldn't be an issue. Silicone components swell when exposed to petroleum products and this interferes with their function.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,893 Posts
If your engine has diaphragms in it, such as with a fuel pump and regulator then yes it is possible for MMO to damage the diaphragms. The silicon parts can be damaged by petroluem based products.

But if you have a regular 4 stroke engine without all the fancy widgets, then it is no problem. You can use MMO all you want to.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
You should be using whale oil for ARO.
jsipprell is offline Find More Posts by jsipprell
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:57 PM
I like Golden Age
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2007
235 Posts
O.K., I read the manual complete.
It appears I should be ok.
The oil I added was through the exhaust port with a few flips now and then to keep the thing oiled and free moving. It should only be in the case, shaft and bearings. I doubt it ever got into the pump system since I never ran the engine or put oil in the carb system.
That's my thoughts at least.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronj10 View Post
O.K., I read the manual complete.
It appears I should be ok.
The oil I added was through the exhaust port with a few flips now and then to keep the thing oiled and free moving. It should only be in the case, shaft and bearings. I doubt it ever got into the pump system since I never ran the engine or put oil in the carb system.
That's my thoughts at least.
Saito 4 strokes, at least the one I have, advises adding ARO via the breather nipple and the silicone fuel tubing you typically have hanging down from it; I'm pretty sure most ARO has a petroleum based component (I use ATF).
jsipprell is offline Find More Posts by jsipprell
Last edited by jsipprell; Oct 30, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
Measure thrice, mark twice...
United States, AZ, Ajo
Joined Jun 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipprell View Post
It's a renewable resource!
ahrma_581 is offline Find More Posts by ahrma_581
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
I like Golden Age
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2007
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrma_581 View Post
It's a renewable resource!
I'll bet the whale has a strong opinion about that.
lol
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:55 PM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,565 Posts
I prefer baby seal oil
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:10 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipprell View Post
Northern hemispere whale oil or Southern hemispere whale oil?

I heard one is better for 2-strokes while the other is for 4-strokes, but I can't remember which..
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:59 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,757 Posts
That would be Northern Hemisphere for both 2 and 4 stroke, because the coriolis forces will make it turn CCW when going down a drain, and that coincides with the rotation direction of the crank....

It is the reversed rotation engines that need the Southern Hemisphere oil....

Tsssss, that you didn't know that....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:29 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,300 Posts
I won't dispute the experts here. But I use MMO, and I use silicone fuel tubing on the nozzle of my ARO bottle. It has MMO in droplet form resting inside the tubing. It has been in use for several years. I have never seen any degradation of the silicone tube.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:52 AM
Australia, NSW, Attunga
Joined Dec 2006
163 Posts
G'day All,
I don't know what you are worried about, If you think about it, ARO, should be injected into the crankcase of 4 stroke engines, NOT through the carby, where the pump diaphram can be effected, It is no use going through the carby because the oil only goes to the head, & then it's expelled out the exhaust, & not into the crankcase as in 2 strokes, the bearings are in the crankcase & that's where the ARO is needed.
PS there will be enough blowby to lubricate the rockers & pushrods.

Cheers.
Allan.
alan0899 is offline Find More Posts by alan0899
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:55 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
If your engine has diaphragms in it, such as with a fuel pump and regulator then yes it is possible for MMO to damage the diaphragms. The silicon parts can be damaged by petroluem based products.

But if you have a regular 4 stroke engine without all the fancy widgets, then it is no problem. You can use MMO all you want to.
In the latest FS-91 S2-P engine manual OS states : fuel pump assembly, carburettor/pressure-regulator and silicone tubing must be cleansed separately in methanol or glow fuel. On no account must they come into contact with kerosene.......appropriate alternative may be one of the high-quality synthetic lubricating oils.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,613 Posts
Bert-I live in North America-I counted the revolutions of expelled water through my sink trap...They were 17 RPM's .....Do you really think I'm going to lose/gain significant power ?
Ha Ha HA....Earl..
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Closed Thread