HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2010, 03:57 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,470 Posts
Build Log
The Official Raven 3M build thread has begun.

Welcome, this thread will be a build log and discussion area for the Raven 3M, a 3 meter TD plane designed by Mike Smart. Starting this October I, and some of you, will be building this wonderful woodie. I am starting the thread now because I have been getting questions about the plane in other threads and I want to get the information in one central location. I am certainly not the first person to build one of these and if you look around RCGroups you can find a couple of build threads that were started but never finished.

So what is a Raven 3M? Well in this case it is the largest in a family of TD planes created by the English designer, Mike Smart, during the 1980's. The Raven 3m is also the newest in the series and has the most build variations. It is only available as plans so this will be a scratch build. A unique design aspect of this plane is that Mike has included different wing options to suite most any flyer. It can be built with the gull wing as a aileron, elevator, rudder, pictured below, or it can be built with straight dihedral wings for ailerons, elevator, rudder, or it can be built with poly-dihedral for rudder, elevator, spoiler. Flaps can easily be added to any of the optional wings styles if so desired. Additionally it can be built with a foam core, balsa sheeted wing. You bagged wing guys could very easily bag this wing with FG or carbon. Multiple wing sets can be used with the same fuselage giving you many flying options.

I have had the opportunity to talk with Mike, via email, and he is planning to join this thread to answer any build or technical question that might arise. As of now there are three of us planning to build it this fall/winter. I am certain that the other builders will chime in here as soon as they see the thread. I am planning to build mine as a traditional glider and at least one of the builders is going to electrify his. I am planning to build the wing using carbon to cap the spar to make it a little stronger to better withstand those winch launches. It can still be flown as a woodie this way. This plane does not qualify for NOS events as it was designed in 1986.

I will do my best to answer any questions that arise and any that I cannot answer can be fielded by Mike. I hope some of you will join us in building it this fall and please feel free to ask questions. I have included a couple of pictures so you can see what it looks like.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Apr 04, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Added new picture
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:01 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,470 Posts
Reserved for links and pictures of completed builds

Laser cut rib sets are available for the 3 meter Raven from Aero-Werkes. The price, as of summer 2012 is $35. Contact Dave for for details and ordering information.
email = DPCMODELS@aol.com
Website = www.aerowerkes.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional information about the Raven:

Mike Smart designs website: here

Article in the August 1990 RC Soaring Digest magazine: here

Previous Raven 3M threads:
Current list of people participating in the build:
  • Windependence
  • Bob
  • Foam Crusher
  • Rabidrue1
  • KickAce
  • BDOG1
  • 3SportBob
The actual build starts on page 15
Last edited by Windependence; Apr 12, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:24 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Thank you Wayne, for kicking off the offical thread on this fun project. I have a list of materials that is fairly complete for the fuse and wing. I'm going with the D box version, and the Gull wing option. I also have a source for laser cut ribs, if any of you need them. I certainly do. Mine will be electric of course.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:49 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,470 Posts
Hi Bob,

Thanks for mentioning the materials list. Bob and I are going to be putting together a material list for the build. This should make things easier for any of you who decide to take on this build. Once we get it put together I will post it as a pdf flie. As Bob has already mentioned, we do have a source for laser cut ribs for the wing and tail. Bob has already ordered and received a set so he can comment on the details. I saw a picture of them and they do look very nice. The person doing the laser cutting was familiar with the plane and that is always a nice plus.

I will also be updating post #2 with links to sources for the various materials needed. Some of you have nice fully stocked local hobby shops but some of you do not so Bob and I will be doing the leg work finding online sources for materials.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Jul 06, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:01 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
I appear to be the third person doing the build. The plans arrived Friday (only 3 days from England!) and using Bob's preliminary materials list I am going over the plan and my wood pile to see what I need to order.

Mine will be an aileron gull-wing electric, probably with a fully sheeted wing since I have not built one of those before. It is windy here most of the summer flying season, so a little extra weight in place of ballast is fine. Power will be from a 400W in-runner with a planetary gearbox turning a 16 x8 folder powered by 3S2P 2100 mAh twinned 2100 20C lipos. I have a similar set up in an Oly 3 at about the same AUW that gives 45 degree or better climb outs to winch height in under 30 seconds, so it makes for a nice sport plane.

An October start works great for me as we have just moved and I need some time to get my shop put together.

Now for what will probably be the first of many questions: The plan shows flaps but does not mention spoilers. I have both on the Oly3 and wonder about the need/desirability of adding them. Comments?

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:45 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,470 Posts
Hi FC,

Thanks for stopping in. I believe we are up to 4 builders now. Rabidrue1 is in for the build also. As to your spoiler and flap question, I would think that one or the other would be sufficient to give you glide path control. In my "opinion" I would think that flaps would slow down the plane better than spoilers would and that might make those less than perfect landings a little more forgiving.

Wayne
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:25 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Steve,

Glad you got the wood list. It's only a partial list. I'm going with an electric set up too. I like spoilers a lot. I haven't had good luck with flaps. I'm just going to build them into the wing. I'm going with the gull wing. Mine will be D box sheeted only. I had the laser guy cut my ribs for that option. Power wise, I'm just going with an outrunner, 2820/ 12, 40 amp speed control, and a 12/6 prop. A 3S 2200 LiPo. This is my usual basic power line up. This is similar to my Riser 112. The color scheam will be the hard part.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:06 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,688 Posts

DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:13 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Kool, this should be a fun build, Bob how much to get the ribs cut?
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:11 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Subscribed Out of interest, I found the plans to the wooden predecessor of the middle Raven in the picture of 3 above, which is the Raven SC20. This had a GRP fuselage and foam wings, but the prototype was all wood construction. I have had these scanned and plan to trace them in CAD so I can offer an alternative Raven 2m plan.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Last edited by Mike Smart; Jul 06, 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:43 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,470 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thanks for stopping in. If my introduction in post 1 is inaccurate please let me know. As to the SC20, was it designed and/or kitted prior to Jan 1, 1980? If so it would qualify as a nostalgia class plane and those nostalgia guys are always looking for new designs. Foam and fiberglass are allowed in nostalgia

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Jul 06, 2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added image
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:22 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I have to get a new bandsaw blade then get the wood on the way,so an October start sounds like a winner.I'm not a contest type so I have no need to spot land the bird and I might just pass on spoilers or flaps and save an once or so.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:05 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks for stopping in. If my introduction in post 1 is inaccurate please let me know. As to the SC20, was it designed and/or kitted prior to Jan 1, 1980? If so it would qualify as a nostalgia class plane and those nostalgia guys are always looking for new designs. Foam and fiberglass are allowed in nostalgia

Wayne
Wayne, your introduction is fine thanks. The SC20 was designed/kitted after that date, around 87/88 I think.
However the Raven 76m was designed and published as a plan in 1976. I will post a picture later if I can find one.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:12 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
Kool, this should be a fun build, Bob how much to get the ribs cut?

Hi alstrahm.

They are about $70, and worth every penny of it. But you need to tell him if your going to do full sheeting or D box only. His program now is for D box only.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2010, 12:33 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,470 Posts
Hi Bob,

Do you think that Tony might be open to lowering his price for the laser cutting if we placed a group order for the ribs? We could wait until late summer and anybody who wants ribs cut could all order at the same time similar to the Chrysalis group build kit purchases. What do you think? Would you be willing ask him?

Wayne