HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2010, 10:47 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,608 Posts
Build Log
Myyatch

Every now and a again I find the need to start a new prodject to help get my creative juices going. I will hit a road block or just have an all out brain fart on a current prodject that will stimey the efforts to build anything ( have some unfinished models here because of that). So a while back saw a photo of an interesting boat/yatch that I thought would make for an interesting scale model. Now I know that I am not the only one who had seen this, but figured I would be the first to post a build of one. This particular vessel has some nice lines, good basic hull, nice wood work on the decks, nice metal work, and the challenge to make it r/c. So after some more research, drafting up ideas ( not #25 drafting--burp), and some scaling formulating, came to the conclusion that this is going to be done in a large scale --1/12th. This will allow for detail, ease of construction, ease of scaling up the boat ( no plans available), and allow for the placement of the r/c gear with plenty of options.
So it bagan on a cool winter nite this past January with the drawing of the house to paper for a template. The template would then be used to transfer the lines to a sheet of Sintra to construct the sides of the house. Basic construction on the house was done to form a "shell" to ensure that it would fit the hull/deck properly before it was completed and could be "tweeked" as needed.
Once the house was framed up and checked for sizing ( and scaling was correct for the sizing intended) work began on framing the decking and the hull. Both were done at the same time to ensure a proper fit for all the assemblies that would hidden within. This was built using Popular, Bass, and Balsa wood. Once all frames were in place the hull was assembled and all 150 plus peices of planked deck were installed. After all the parts were in place, a little sanding was in order to smooth the roughness away. The hull would then get a layer of epoxy and fiberglass to sfiffen it up and provide strength. This process is always a time consuming one with trying to get the glass and fibber cloth to lay out smooth. Once hardened, all was sanded, 1 more coat of epoxy ( Systems 3 medium cure) was applied for added shell covering and strength. After one more lite sanding the main hull was ready for painting. I forgot to memtion that this hull will be kind of a multihull design so this is just the main hull. So while this was drying, had time to work on the outer portins of the hull. The first attempt came out ok, but weighed too much for my liking and would be counter productive for their intended use. So a second set has been built and works much better.
So I am sure by now you reading this are wondering " what is does this yatch look like?" "What kind of hull does it have again?" Well, here are the first few construction photos of my new yatch to be named "MYYATCH" . And if you see the basics of the parts, you might even begin to recognize the original idea from photos that have ben posted here in this site...........
keith S is online now Find More Posts by keith S
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2010, 11:01 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,422 Posts
Is a Yatch a cross between a ketch and a yacht?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old May 30, 2010, 11:38 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
Famous line from Rear Admiral Daniel V.Gallery's biography; "when were building the first Naval Air Station in Rekyavik Iceland we were trying to come up with a name. It had to be somethng American could pronounce, it had to sound local, it had to mean something. We had a contest and finally named the base, KWITCHERBELLYAKIN!"
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old May 30, 2010, 12:26 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,277 Posts
What pictures...

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 31, 2010, 10:27 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,608 Posts
well for some stupid reason the compooper erased the photos!

So let's try to do this again.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:22 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,422 Posts
oh no, not the Redneck Houseboat!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old May 31, 2010, 11:33 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,815 Posts
but does canned beer scale?
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old May 31, 2010, 12:44 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,040 Posts
LOL!!!

Nice job you are doing Keith! interior looks great so far!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 31, 2010, 12:48 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
oh no, not the Redneck Houseboat!
What's scary, is that we recognize it...
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 31, 2010, 12:51 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
What's scary...
Hee hee!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 31, 2010, 01:20 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,815 Posts
you have to contruct the small boat (dingy) so you get to shore for supplies when there isn't a proper harbour to tie-up at...
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old May 31, 2010, 06:54 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,734 Posts
Keith Buy the beer for it before Washington State's new tax kicks in. Extra .28 per sixer I heard.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old May 31, 2010, 07:06 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Be lucky your not in Florida. The next tax will be a dollar A CAN on beer. Hope we get to vote the S>O>B's out before they can make that happen. They already did it with smokes--$1 a pack. All because the stupid state wouldn't cut spending to balance the budget. Jerks! Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old May 31, 2010, 07:14 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
699 Posts
Let's see, 1/12 scale? That means the Igloo cooler will only be 48/12 = 4 quarts. So maybe you can carry 3 or 4 full scale Buds. And don't forget the gas grill for cookin' dem catfish!
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old May 31, 2010, 09:39 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,608 Posts
Yes Pat, a redneck yatch ( mis-pel on purpose). Something a little different, kind o fun, and guaranteed to make people smile if not laugh when they see it going ( or even on display). It will be complete with some extra details as this will be a "luxery" version when done. Need to go buy a bunch of "micro brews" before they get taxed as well around here. Maybe even find a way to disguise a still just for grins! This will have a few other engineering ideas that will be different as well. The big push is to get it mostly complete and running before the regatta this Sat the 5th in Bellevue.

Umi is correct--scarry that most figured it out without all the peices put together. makes me think others have contemplated some thing like this as well.