SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Robert May, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:25 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
I feel bad about the caulking but since you asked;
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2009, 07:05 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,581 Posts
So, what do you do for oakum?
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:34 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Today is a day fo mix fortunes. Customs and the post office want to charge me 10.72 because my 0x1/4 screws from Micro Fastners are 20 cents over the 18 customs limit.

One of the 16ba screws sheered in the garboard while I was lining up the slot with the grain This is so you can find the slot in the screw if you ever need to replace it once its been buried in putty and paint. Scratch in the middle of the hole in the direction of the grain and there should be the slot.

No 3 plank is now nailed and screwed in place. What a job I resorted to using a "Z" clamp. Anyone know what a Z clamp is?

I modified P3 with a bevelled edge I don't want "Oakum" spoiling the Varnish on the inside of the boat. The Garboard/ P2 seam will be painted with bilge paint so the caulking won't notice.
Last edited by Robert May; Dec 09, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 09:54 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
With the 3rd plank on the starboard side now fitted and nailed, time has come to check progress against the plan. With the best will in the world each plank is going to vary slightly so the 1/4 point, also the point where the planking at the stem has turned the corner it is worth re-dividing the key stations. Stem, stern and midships.

I am planking port, starboard, starboard port and so on this ensure I do not build a banana boat which is starboard tack biased.
Last edited by Robert May; Dec 10, 2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:15 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,581 Posts
after footies, bottle boats, and other stuff from the Red Green school of Duct Tape - I'm really enjoying watching a model boat being built like, of all things, a boat.

Take your time and keep the digital charged.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thanks Jerry, progress stands a chance of gettin a bit quicker now, the Hog and these first 6 planks were always going to be a challenge.

I want to get onto the coamings, toe rails etc, 18 more planks just seem a bit daunting today.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:09 AM
Essex England
Joined May 2005
77 Posts
Robert: What a superb project. I have only just stumbled across it while looking for news of IOM yachts which I currently race. But in my younger days I co-owned a fabulous half-decker that was the proposed prototype for an Oulton Broad One Design, a cross between a Waveney OD and a White Boat (Yare and Bure OD). She was built at Oulton Broad towards the end of the Second World War but was not accepted as a class by the Norfolk and Suffolk Yachting Association because in the hands of an Olympic helmsman she won races against the Waveneys and White Boats. Watching the build of this model brings back wonderful memories of planking and replacing various wooden bits of our full-size yacht.
Vintageflyer is offline Find More Posts by Vintageflyer
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:45 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
228 Posts
Stilton , British revenge on the world . Red Wine and Stilton ....

Keep up the build report Robert , great commentary and photos !

Cheers ,

James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:34 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageflyer View Post
Robert: What a superb project. I have only just stumbled across it while looking for news of IOM yachts which I currently race. But in my younger days I co-owned a fabulous half-decker that was the proposed prototype for an Oulton Broad One Design, a cross between a Waveney OD and a White Boat (Yare and Bure OD). She was built at Oulton Broad towards the end of the Second World War but was not accepted as a class by the Norfolk and Suffolk Yachting Association because in the hands of an Olympic helmsman she won races against the Waveneys and White Boats. Watching the build of this model brings back wonderful memories of planking and replacing various wooden bits of our full-size yacht.
Thank you VintageFlyer, Wasn't there a bit of an issue with her being built during the war? I remember reading the story somewhere. What happened to that particular boat? I know there are a few of the existing fleet who are keeping an eye on my build, (quality control!) A few of the boatbuilders the would have been young apprentices at the time are still about and will probably remember events from back then. Certainly when I found Kingcup in 1980 people like Colin, Harry and Lenny were a real help. Parrt for the fun of W&OBYC is that there is real cross section of folk there. I am just old enough to remember Lady Mayhew who had been sailing the Brown Boats from the early years, boy did she know how to sail!

If you have any photosgraphs I would be really interested to see what it was that made her so much better than The Waveneys or White boats. The untrained eye can't tell the difference between the two.

Thanks James, I am an honourary resident of Rutland, I spent school holidays there as a youngster before they flooded nearly the whole county under a big Lake. Ruddles and Stilton, that is a party!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:48 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Found it!

http://www.saileastcoast.co.uk/yarns.html
Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:55 AM
Essex England
Joined May 2005
77 Posts
Robert

My half-decker was Ala, designed and built by Cyril Richards and Ivan Darby, but also helmed by Jimmy Clabburn, an Olympic helmsman in Stars and superstar skipper in any Broadland sailing yacht.
Here's a link to a report on how Ala sailed away without me! It includes some historical detail.
http://www.saileastcoast.co.uk/yarns.html

Ala had a larger sail area and, apparently, one side of the bow was fuller than the other so that the boat would perform better on the most common beats sailed on courses around Oulton Broad. I don't understand all the technicalities, but it seems that it has something to do with the prevailing winds during the racing season.

The main builder of Ala was Harry Francis who was in his 70s. But I was told the story, of how she was built in secrecy at Cyril's shipyard, by a man who had been an apprentice to Harry.

I've no idea where Ala is today.
Vintageflyer is offline Find More Posts by Vintageflyer