SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:38 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
Prince Hal, but I probably should have built it's twin King Harry to be legal for two bit.

scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:21 PM
1:1 scale is fun!
United States, NJ, Midland Park
Joined Feb 2009
463 Posts
Nice one Scrubs. Well done prop too.
ECBoehm is offline Find More Posts by ECBoehm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:32 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Nice work, both the Moffett and the Prince, so clean...
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:08 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,580 Posts
Most FAC CD's would likely accept the Prince Hal - no marked differences between them which would give Hal an advantage
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:19 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
Jim,
We'll see if it lasts long enough to survive your postal.

Chris,
I can't take credit for the prop. It was handed down to me from one of our group that passed away. All I did was thin the blades, dope and add a clutch.

bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:49 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,401 Posts
I started this post on 8 November 2004 and with the contribution from scrubs, we achieved our 2000th post.
Looking back there are some wonderful models shown and the quality does not diminish.

Who says freeflight is dead.

Here's to the next 2000.

Thanks for all your efforts

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Nov 2008
28 Posts
Gullow's Cadet

My first stick and tissue build. I'm 40 and I flew rc foamies for the last few years. For FF I Started with a Retro RC Sky King balsa hlg, moved to the Guillow's Goldwing, then this Cadet. My maiden was today. The wind was a little strong, but after waiting to fly after the glue dried, I just had to get her up. She flew well for the conditions, but tracked very straight, I think the amount of right rudder (per instructions) was just enough to eliminate torque steer but not induce a turn. I don't understand why they have me trim for right flight when the torque could just take it left? Anyone wanna chime in? Next up is a Peck Polymers Sky Bunny ROG, then a Guillow's Javelin. Thanks to the gentlemen at the AMA expo, Tony Naccarato and Howard Littman for talking so patiently to a newbie and letting the bug bite me.
rcchuma is offline Find More Posts by rcchuma
Last edited by rcchuma; Feb 18, 2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:20 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
527 Posts
Nicely built Cadet. I've seen indoor planes trimmed for left turn, with the torque, usually. They use less rubber and slower props, so this isn't a problem. Outdoors, with more torque, lots of planes are set up to compensate for it and go right. If you are so lucky as to go straight from the start, it would be a simple matter to add a rudder trim tab to put in the turn. Cut a piece of light card stock or a post it note and add it to the back of the rudder. You can also experiment with a trim tab on either or both wings to counter any excess bank.

This sort of plane is good for learning what trim tabs and warps will do. Use them and find out for yourself.
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trips to Gym for Indoor Flying
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,101 Posts
Here's my dime scale Aeroneer that I built a few years ago from a Scale Flight Models (or was it Shive Specialties, which I think may be the same). Nice kit. Never got it to fly right, may try again sometime. It's light enough for indoors but kept exhibiting suicidal behavior so I think I will relegate it to the long grass until I figure it out. As you can see, it's been smacked around a little.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:01 AM
Joined Nov 2008
28 Posts
Gullow's Cadet advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Nicely built Cadet. I've seen indoor planes trimmed for left turn, with the torque, usually. They use less rubber and slower props, so this isn't a problem. Outdoors, with more torque, lots of planes are set up to compensate for it and go right. If you are so lucky as to go straight from the start, it would be a simple matter to add a rudder trim tab to put in the turn. Cut a piece of light card stock or a post it note and add it to the back of the rudder. You can also experiment with a trim tab on either or both wings to counter any excess bank.

This sort of plane is good for learning what trim tabs and warps will do. Use them and find out for yourself.
Thanks for the advice. I waited until the wind calmed down and flew under the lights. It flew well! Nice little right patterns. Probably indoors or dead calm days even better and longer flight. I could catch it out of it's glide in my hand! I tried a thinner motor and it just couldn't pull the plane thru the air. But it's better quality rubber. Can I get the same torque by using multiple strands of the thinner motor, thus increasing winding for longer time aloft, or should I just try a longer motor of the thicker rubber for increased run time?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:08 PM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
664 Posts
Nice build mr chuma.

Good pics too - very artistic!
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
527 Posts
RCChuma
I'm glad you got a good pattern out of your Cadet once the wind died down

I'll comment on your rubber questions over at Guillows Build N' Fly thread.

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trips to Gym for Indoor Flying
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:36 PM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Here's my dime scale Aeroneer that I built a few years ago from a Scale Flight Models (or was it Shive Specialties, which I think may be the same). Nice kit. Never got it to fly right, may try again sometime. It's light enough for indoors but kept exhibiting suicidal behavior so I think I will relegate it to the long grass until I figure it out. As you can see, it's been smacked around a little.
Lol. It doesn't look too "Smacked around" to me. Nice Job.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:33 AM
Joined Nov 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
RCChuma
I'm glad you got a good pattern out of your Cadet once the wind died down

I'll comment on your rubber questions over at Guillows Build N' Fly thread.

Joe
I'm working on a Sky Bunny now. The kit wood is pretty crappy compared to the Guillow's, I'll post pics when complete. Then it's on to a Javelin. Picking up different rubber sizes and a wonder from Robin's tomorrow so experimenting with power. Using the Ross book as my bible.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 09:05 AM
Marion, OH
Joined Jun 2008
17 Posts
Retired and Building

These are some of the models I have built since retirement began on January 1, 2013. All decals were made by my wife, Carole.

Name: IMG_0645(1).jpg
Views: 94
Size: 89.8 KB
Description: XB-70 from Competition Models. Name: IMG_0650(1).jpg
Views: 126
Size: 214.1 KB
Description: Carl Goldberg Ranger 30
Competition Models XB-70 Carl Goldberg Ranger 30
Name: IMG_0655(1).jpg
Views: 103
Size: 137.4 KB
Description: Buzzard Bombshell.  Joe Konefes gave me the plans for this model shortly before he passed away.  It was designed so it can be entered in multiple events i.e. Old Time Replica, 1/4A Nostalgia and PeeWee .020.  Joe was a great guy. Name: IMG_0657(1).jpg
Views: 75
Size: 157.3 KB
Description: Decal of Buzzard Bombshell.
Buzzard Bombshell. Plans for this were given to me by Joe Konefes shortly before he passed away. This model was designed so it could be entered into multiple events...i.e. 1/4A Nostalgia, Old Time Replica; PeeWee .020
Name: IMG_0658(1).jpg
Views: 90
Size: 214.5 KB
Description: Satellite 320 for 2013's One Design. Name: IMG_0664(1).jpg
Views: 74
Size: 151.0 KB
Description: Decal of Sputnik Satellite for the model.
Satellite 320 for 2013's One Design. Decal is of Sputnik. Model was covered with dyed Polyspan per Dave Acton's directions.

Dan
Shorty59 is offline Find More Posts by Shorty59
Last edited by Shorty59; Apr 03, 2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Adding details of models