Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:24 AM
Upside down, downunder in Oz
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
Help!
Updating OSD Pro firmware

Hi guys,

Have a large selection of ET stuff, but haven't used for a couple of years due having a stroke.

I am now getting back into RC aircraft and have been setting up one of my planes.

Initially in my electric plane, I set up my Data Logger Pro with Seagull & GPD v4. Downloaded and installed ET Software v10.04, updated firmware on everything. All worked good.

Then took out the Data Logger Pro, installed my eLogger v3 and my OSD Pro. Updated the firmware, set it all up, was working great.

Then I decided to add my Altimeter Microsensor v4 and my LCD PowerPanel, daisy chained onto the OSD Pro. After update and a couple of plays, the Altimeter sensor and the LCD Panel both died. Have emailed ET Support, waiting for a reply.

Then decided to swap the eLogger out and put back the Data Logger Pro. Connected to USB, went to update firmware, and the software reports that my OSD Pro has something like v .51 (notice no digit in front of decimal point) software, and latest is v2.51. So updated, went for a few minutes, instructed me to set up display parameters. Did that and saved. Firmware update now reports UNKNOWN for the OSD Pro. Try to configure new model & told I need to update firmware. No go.

Downloaded the v10.43 beta software, still reports OSD Pro firmware as UNKNOWN, and v2.66 is available. Do the update thing, after 3 or 4 minutes finishes, still says UNKNOWN and I get a message to email support.

Plugged the OSD Pro back into the eLogger, ran software/firmware control, report OSD Pro version is UNKNOWN, tried an update, after a few minutes, no go.

Uninstalled v10.43, re installed v10.04, advised needed to update OSD Pro to firmware v2.51. Tried that. It updated and now shows v2.51.

Plugged the DL Pro back in, first had to downgrade DL Pro, then showed OSD Pro as v .51 again!!

Is my OSD Pro screwed and is it screwing up everything else? Any ideas on updating software?? And why is it happening?? And did the OSD destroy my Altimeter & PowerPanel
Moby58 is online now Find More Posts by Moby58
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Moby, and glad to hear you are getting back into the hobby!

Regarding the update issues, we've had one other report of an update issue when using the Flight Data Recorder Pro with the OSD Pro, and our beta builds. We are investigating this issue. What I would recommend is that you use your eLogger instead, until we get to the bottom of this.

The most effective way to do a full reset of the system is to folllow these steps:

1) Under the "Advanced" menu of our software, choose "Delete all Eagle Tree Settings"
2) Restart the software, and update the OSD Pro firmware.
3) access the OSD Pro setup page, and click "Factory Reset"

At this point, any issues caused by upgrade/downgrade should be remedied.

Regarding the issue with your altimeter and powerpanel, can you let me know the symptoms? Is the LED not blinking on the altimeter? And, does this occur when connected to USB as well as when using a battery? Note that when powered by USB alone, the PowerPanel is often too faint to read (it requires a battery connected to the eLogger's battery input to be fully visible).
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:12 PM
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post

Regarding the issue with your altimeter and powerpanel, can you let me know the symptoms? Is the LED not blinking on the altimeter? And, does this occur when connected to USB as well as when using a battery? Note that when powered by USB alone, the PowerPanel is often too faint to read (it requires a battery connected to the eLogger's battery input to be fully visible).
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

Re the Altimeter. I was initially using it in my Radian Pro, using the extra cable plugged directly into the Rx, as I had no logger on that aircraft. Worked fantastic. When I transferred it to the other plane with the OSD Pro, it powered up ok, was flashing the last altitude used (as it should). Then at some stage during my testing, it stopped working. That is, the single digit display never came on again. Even when I transferred it back to the Radian Pro directly plugged into the receiver, nothing.

Likewise, the PowerPanel was functioning properly. I have always been able to read it when connected by USB. When first connected with the OSD Pro, it powered up, and I had to do a firmware update. Once again, sometime during my testing/setting up, it stopped working.

And as I have added to my support ticket, yesterday I had daisy chained the Tx for my Seagull to the OSD Pro and am getting NO SIGNAL on the dashboard.

One final point, I originally bought the OSD, then did your upgrade offer to the OSD Pro back in May 2009. However, in the time I have owned it, I have never actually connected it up. So, if it is faulty, it may very well have been faulty for the last 4 years!!

Thanks for the help.

Alan
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:15 PM
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
Quote:
The most effective way to do a full reset of the system is to folllow these steps:

1) Under the "Advanced" menu of our software, choose "Delete all Eagle Tree Settings"
2) Restart the software, and update the OSD Pro firmware.
3) access the OSD Pro setup page, and click "Factory Reset"

At this point, any issues caused by upgrade/downgrade should be remedied.
Thanks,

I have downgraded the software to v10.04, then downgraded the firmware on the Data Logger Pro, then reflashed the firmware on the OSD Pro, and that is all ok (except my wireless Tx for the Seagull Dash isnt working after daisy chaining to the OSD Pro)

Alan
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Alan,

I think you are saying that the data recorder + OSD is working (except the telemetry transmitter) but that the altimeter and powerpanel are still not working?

Assuming this, I'm confused about why both those units would just stop. is there any chance they were exposed to high voltage? I'm also a little worried that whatever caused the failure of the powerpanel and altimeter has now happened to the transmitter, as they all are on the same bus.

One more thing to try. If you connect the altimeter directly to the eLogger, and then connect the OSD Pro to the altimeter, does the altimeter flash, and does the OSD Pro show up under "Firmware Control."?
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:39 PM
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response.

OK, as per previous advise a few responses back, I have the power panel working, so that is OK.

However, the altimeter doesn’t light up at all when either connected by the extra cable direct to receiver, or by the bus cable connected to the eLogger or OSD Pro

When I use the v10,04 software, and flash the OSD Pro with it, it is seen and works ok. When using the v10.43beta software, and flash the OSD Pro, under firmware control it is then seen as UNKNOWN firmware, and when I set any parameters, the software says it has to flash firmware to OSD Pro (because it is UNKNOWN before it can save values. It wont flash a KNOWN firmware under v10.43beta software.

When the OSD Pro was operating when initially flashed with the v10.04 software, a while after I had the altimeter daisy chained to the OSD Pro, the altimeter stopped working.

Sometime after I had the telemetry transmitter daisy chained to the OSD Pro, the transmitter stopped working.

I am using a UBEC off the main 11.1v LiPo to the receiver for power, set at 5v

I am using a separate 11.1v LiPo for the camera and FPV transmitter, that goes thru the OSD Vid In/Out pins.

I understand that 11.1v is isolated in the OSD Pro from the rest of the system, so SHOULDN’T affect anything else

From the OSD Pro manual
" The Ground and Signal pins are the only ones used by the OSD PRO, but the Power pins are connected together internally in the OSD PRO, for your convenience"
Sorry, I cant do any further testing, as I have posted the OSD Pro, Altimeter MicroSensor and telemetry transmitter back to you guys :-)

Below is a copy of the letter included with the package (Note OSD Pro had not been used previously)
The Altitude MicroSensor was purchased 21 Nov, 2012 (from HobbyKing) and was working great as stand alone. Was initially working when connected to the OSD Pro, but failed before first flight.

The OSD Pro was purchased in May 2009 (from Eagle Tree) but has never been used until I was setting it up in Dec 2012. I had a stroke in Oct 2010 and haven’t been doing any RC aircraft until last couple of months.

The Seagull expander was purchased Feb 2008 (from Eagle Tree) and has been used a few times, including recently. It has been working great. However since plugging it into the OSD Pro it has failed to work.

The eLogger v3 I have been using is brand new and never used. I had bought it several years ago, but never used as I had changed battery/esc connections to EC3, and my eLogger had the deans connectors, I had made some adapters for testing.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Moby,

Thanks for the details. Due to the number of variables, I think that returning the units to us was the correct course of action. We'll get things sorted.

Re the high voltage AV connections, you're 100% correct. What does sometimes happen (myself no exception) is that non-AV connections inadvertently come in contact with high voltage, which can often damage devices.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:50 PM
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
Quote:
Hi Moby,

Thanks for the details. Due to the number of variables, I think that returning the units to us was the correct course of action. We'll get things sorted.

Re the high voltage AV connections, you're 100% correct. What does sometimes happen (myself no exception) is that non-AV connections inadvertently come in contact with high voltage, which can often damage devices.
Thanks Bill, have had good dealing with you and ET in the past, so hope the same again.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:16 AM
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby58 View Post
Thanks Bill, have had good dealing with you and ET in the past, so hope the same again.
Hi Bill,

Your guys have my units and they are in the queue.

I would like to get one of the $10 cases for my Eagle Eyes ground station when the stuff is returned. I have added that to my support ticket, but I had better let u know as well :-)