HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Discussion
Whats This ???? Already past Noon , and no Martin Luther King thread ?

Civil Rights . We wouldnt be very Civilized without them .

Happy Martin Luther King Day
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:43 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,036 Posts
Roger. It is more than a day away from work.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:52 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
Being retired I hardly know what day it is let alone a holiday. That said, happy MLK day to our emancipated brethren!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:41 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Martin who?

Cool, my kid has the day off so we're going to the rentals and do some plubing work
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:45 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,382 Posts
Lived through the civil rights movement, as well as many here.

Pretty cool it happened, and within one lifetime, produced a President.....and they said it couldn't be done.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:47 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,602 Posts
Personally, I don't get the MLK day thing. I understand who he was I just don't know if I think he really did that much in the grand scheme of things. Then again, maybe I wasn't old enough to really understand his impact. So far, nothing I've read about him is that compelling. Maybe some of you that do admire him can point me in the direction of a book or something that more clearly explains his contribution to the country.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:49 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Personally, I don't get the MLK day thing. I understand who he was I just don't know if I think he really did that much in the grand scheme of things. Then again, maybe I wasn't old enough to really understand his impact. So far, nothing I've read about him is that compelling. Maybe some of you that do admire him can point me in the direction of a book or something that more clearly explains his contribution to the country.
Without him, and many others like him, we would still be living in a segregated Country.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:50 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Dr. King is on my short list of heros and I am very picky about that list.

He was just an ordinary man faced with huge challenges he never flinched in the face of up to the point of it costing him his life.
If the haters would stop trying to hijack his message I believe we really could at least come close to making his dream come true.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Last edited by Real Ira; Jan 17, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:50 PM
Scotland
Joined Sep 2009
66 Posts
Not fair, we in the UK want a holiday too.
mortato is online now Find More Posts by mortato
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:53 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortato View Post
Not fair, we in the UK want a holiday too.
Don't you guys have Pied Piper Day?....When all the rats were led out to sea and drowned?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:54 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Without him, and many others like him, we would still be living in a segregated Country.
Well, I always hear that but without more detail it doesn't hit that mark for me. Again, I was just a little kid when he was killed. I don't think what we learned about him in school told us much and I'll be honest and say I haven't gone looking for any more information about him on my own.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:57 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,382 Posts
If you never experienced segregation, then it really wouldn't have made an impact....

Lucky you.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:04 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
If you never experienced segregation, then it really wouldn't have made an impact....

Lucky you.
I've experienced plenty of racism but segregation isn't one of them. Maybe I should be thanking MLK for that.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:09 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I've experienced plenty of racism but segregation isn't one of them. Maybe I should be thanking MLK for that.
Yeah....segregation sucks.
White only restaurants, bathrooms, and drinking fountains.
White schools and hospitals.
Totally sucked.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:43 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
Dr. King is on my short list of heros and I am very picky about that list.

He was just an ordinary man faced with huge challenges who never flinched in the face of up to the point of it costing him his life.
If the haters would stop trying to hijack his message I believe we really could at least come close to making his dream come true.
agreed..!I have the utmost respect for MLK & the efforts he made to make racial progress...but,it does post the question,even 43 years after his death,racial relations aren't where they should be.Not even close.

We have elected an african American President,but there is soo much more to be done.More than affirmative action & minority preferencial policies..

I've often wondered how blacks feel they can try harder on their own,without jumping into a hostile attitude about all the usual complaints...law enforcement profiling AA's,etc.

Maybe a new role model is needed...wait,we've got the POTUS..right.?

Well then,why are most of young ones more concerned about being a rap star...instead of focusing upon academic achievements.?

Why isn't Rev.Jesse Jackson & Rev. Al Sharpton speaking out..when most inner cities are a cesspool of crime,drugs & dispair.?
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT