HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Does anyone know what exactly that "blue glue" is, one can find inside the usb plug (car charger) and inside the case? (red circles in attached pics)
Are those some kind of silicone or acryl adhesives, or is it a sealing agent specifically used in electronic devices?
Where can I get it and how can I apply it?

First picture shot with the HD, second with an old #3.
I case you might wonder what the black bar is in picture 2: I accidentally left the "Date Off"-firmware file for the HD in one of the flash cards so the #3 (which had the date/time stamp removed) loaded it.
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:37 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,360 Posts
I believe mine was just regular old hot glue, but it wasn't blue either, kinda clear or white-ish.

More interestingly... Your #3 loaded the firmware for the HD camera, and still works?
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:51 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,219 Posts
Hey Guys,

Back in the dark ages when I got my #3 cams I tried to set the date stamp to a date with the year 1943 since the stamp wasn't removable. It wouldn't work.

It's a dumb question but is it possible to set the year to some time in the 40's on the new #11's.

I'll remove the date but at some point I might want a good warbird date on my footage.

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
I believe mine was just regular old hot glue, but it wasn't blue either, kinda clear or white-ish.

More interestingly... Your #3 loaded the firmware for the HD camera, and still works?
So, if I'm doing the pin4-modification I can just use hot glue, right?

Yes my #3 works with the firmware for the HD loaded, although I'm not sure if I'm able to remove the black bar now by repeating the date removal for the #3. Will test it tomorrow.
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:14 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
hi guys I just found this thread and skimmed through it but could not find an answer to my question so mabye someone could help me I don't like dealing with Ebay so is there a website that sells these HD808 cams? I have the non hd one and love it .
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:16 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post

Looking from a developer point of view, when producing a Mk11 from a Mk3 I would look for a camera/video processor chip that had the same harware interface and a processor very very similar to the Mk3 (but probably faster) so as to keep development time/effort down to a mininum, so I'm not that surprised that Mk3 runs Mk11 firmware - but there IS a difference - the Black bars which are not there on the MK11 - maybe the Mk3 would run the TimeStamp ON firmware as well - & that would confuse the people who look at the timestamp and say 'AHHa a Mk11'
What is the VIDEO aspect ratio of the Mk3 now it has Mk11 firmware - I bet it is just standard 4:3. please post a video clip Tom would be Happy.
Mike
oooo what a lot of blather that quick post was
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Jan 17, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added VIDEO
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:17 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred79 View Post
I'm already thinking about that! great minds think alike. I wish I could keep the battery inside the case, so I'm just on the fence about whether I would mod the case to fit something just a _little_ bigger, create a new case to hold a larger battery, or strap a second battery to the outside. I think it may be an easier decision if I could figure out how much power was needed for 80 minutes of video (maybe 90 to be on the safe side).

Regarding the stop/save/continue function to save the recording every 20 minutes and start a new file, what are the chances that can be disabled? I'd rather the camera just saved the file when either
a) the stop button is pushed
b) the power runs too low
c) the memory card is filled up, or
d) a 4gb file size limit is reached (a limitation of FAT32)

a & c work already, so I hope they implement 'b'... and get rid of the auto-save every 20 minutes - it becomes redundant once 'b' works.

Edit: this seems like speed posting, but I just read a review here that says one negative about the new 808HD camera - it over-exposes the center of the image, called 'the flashlight effect'. Its obvious in the video he posts, especially in the last couple seconds. Can anyone comment on this?
http://www.2kool4u.com/stryker/keychaincam720P.shtml
I just answered your first two questions in my prior post.

There is a "hot spot" in the center of the videos, but it varies quite a bit depending on the brightness of the scene. It's much more noticeable in lower light situations, and some of it is due to light fall off (vignetting) towards the corners and right/left edges due to the lens. Take the time to page back through this thread and view the videos that have already been posted, and make up you own mind about this.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
So, if I'm doing the pin4-modification I can just use hot glue, right?

Yes my #3 works with the firmware for the HD loaded, although I'm not sure if I'm able to remove the black bar now by repeating the date removal for the #3. Will test it tomorrow.
Use hot glue for what? You have to solder the wire obviously. You might glue the plug cover back on with hot glue, though.

Your #3 camera did NOT load firmware for the HD camera, I can assure you. And the date removal for the #3 leaves the black background on the still pictures. The actual date stamp numbers are removed, but not the black background in the still pictures. No one has figured out how to remove the black background, so save the effort of trying to do the #3 date removal... it won't change anything.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:37 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
It's a dumb question but is it possible to set the year to some time in the 40's on the new #11's.
That's a cool idea, but digital timers were rare in 1943, look at how they annotated bomb bay pictures

It could be done in editors, post production.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:52 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Looking from a developer point of view, when producing a Mk11 from a Mk3 I would look for a camera/video processor chip that had the same harware interface and a processor very very similar to the Mk3 (but probably faster) so as to keep development time/effort down to a mininum, so I'm not that surprised that Mk3 runs Mk11 firmware - but there IS a difference - the Black bars which are not there on the MK11 - maybe the Mk3 would run the TimeStamp ON firmware as well - & that would confuse the people who look at the timestamp and say 'AHHa a Mk11'
What is the VIDEO aspect ratio of the Mk3 now it has Mk11 firmware - I bet it is just standard 4:3. please post a video clip Tom would be Happy.
Mike
oooo what a lot of blather that quick post was
The ONLY similarity between ANY of the old 808 cameras and the HD key cam is the plastic case it comes in. EVRYTHING is different in the HD key cam, different CMOS module, vastly different video processor, etc. etc., and IMHO, it is erroneous to call it the #11 as was done on ChuckLohr's site. It leads to assumptions as was just posted that the #3 loaded the HD firmware. It didn't, and the black bars seen on the #3 still pictures are part of it's firmware. Even though the date removal process that the old 808 uses erases the font that gets displayed, it doesn't remove the black background they were on! Simple as that.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
hi guys I just found this thread and skimmed through it but could not find an answer to my question so mabye someone could help me I don't like dealing with Ebay so is there a website that sells these HD808 cams? I have the non hd one and love it .
No. The sellers of this camera maintain their web stores by selling through eBay. And they are all very customer oriented with nothing to be cautious of just because their web stores are maintained on eBay for ease of transactions.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
duplicate post... sorry.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Just did a Blue Note Creations Pixie maiden using my #11 808 as a helmet cam:
Pixie RC Wing (4 min 41 sec)
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:49 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
For those of you that may be using Linux, OpenShot Video Editor works very well for editing HD videos.

The key chain camera file needs to have the audio codec converted, and that's easily done with ffmpeg (in this example to MP3):

Code:
ffmpeg -i source.avi -f avi -vcodec copy -acodec libmp3lame -ar 16000 -ac 1 dest.avi
Once you're done editing your video, you can export it with the following options (screenshot also attached):

Code:
Profile: All formats
Target: MP4 (h.264)
Video Profile: ATSC 720p 30Hz
Quality: High
The following video was taken with a HD key chain cam and edited entirely with OpenShot using 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx).

Vas

Hobbyzone Champ Losing Propeller (2 min 17 sec)
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:52 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
Does anyone know what exactly that "blue glue" is, one can find inside the usb plug (car charger) and inside the case? (red circles in attached pics)
Are those some kind of silicone or acryl adhesives, or is it a sealing agent specifically used in electronic devices?
Where can I get it and how can I apply it?
The one in my camera was just hot glue. I have removed the case, the glue, and re-wrapped the camera in heat shrink wrap, to make it lighter.

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Closed Thread