HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 04:17 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Tim --- I was across the street from your job earlier today with the kids. We were suppose to be there earlier in the day and I could of stop over and chatted with you real quick.
Dude!!!!! Why didn't you stop in??? You can always bring the kids.. They love the bikes! Next Time just ask for me or come to the shop..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg View Post
Tim - A lot of people (incl. me) fly the 3DHS 57" Extra on a 4s setup. You need a 750-800kV motor capable of 70-80A, e.g. a Motrofly 3625-800. I fly mine with 14x6 for about 1000 wt total, most people go for 15x6, about 1200 wt. The nice part about it is, you can double these 4s batteries for an 8s setup on a 65-72 plane for about 2kwt total. I'm going to go 5s (or 6s.. not sure) with the EF Edge, though.
I know what you guys are saying, but!!!!!! I got to fly this little gem, and IMO you NEED to go with the recommended setup... When I was hanging out with Chris we talked allot about setup and tuning, and that's a big concern of His.. That allot of people will never experience the full potential of his planes because they don't get setup properly...

One of the big advantages of 6cell with a 14x7 or 15x8 is that you can pull crazy watts with very low amp draw! Something like 1300watts and 50 amps, WO!!!

I'm swinging a 16x8 on 5cell that produces 1000w and 60amp

Like I always say "you can put a bigblock in a VW beetle" "but that dosent make it right"
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Apr 03, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:07 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Yea.. I have finnaly figured that out.. When I started. I was like MAN.. This thing is pulling like 80 amps.. SKORE... Chris was telling me that was very inefficient... I will be running 6S on this.. FOR sure..
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:54 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
I know what you guys are saying, but!!!!!! I got to fly this little gem, and IMO you NEED to go with the recommended setup... When I was hanging out with Chris we talked allot about setup and tuning, and that's a big concern of His.. That allot of people will never experience the full potential of his planes because they don't get setup properly...
Perhaps Chris could post some general guidelines - weight of the motor/ESC, prop size, watts. It does't matter all that much how you get the watts, as long as your setup is efficient and can take voltage/current. Obviously, the less current you have, the easier it is to have an efficient setup, so on average high voltage is better. Still if you already have 4s batteries that can take 80A - e.g., 4 A*H 25C - a 4s setup may make sense.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:58 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
He has...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1343213

I hope to see some of you guys at SEFF, I'll be there Monday, Tuesday, and Wed morning.. I'll have a gray Ducati hat on, My lucky flying hat.., and I'll be flying my 48" edge with night lights...

I know I'll see powerlines!
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Apr 03, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:05 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post

One of the big advantages of 6cell with a 14x7 or 15x8 is that you can pull crazy watts with very low amp draw! Something like 1300watts and 50 amps, WO!!!

Like I always say "you can put a bigblock in a VW beetle" "but that dosent make it right"
i completely agree with you that 6s is the most practical and best option, but i was just pointing out that other similar sized planes run on 4s fine. sorry, i really didnt mean to start a huge debate
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:09 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,461 Posts
If someone wants to go 6s on their edge I've got a NIB Scorpion 4020-16 for sale. They're good for up to 1500 watts. Make me an offer.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:19 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
i completely agree with you that 6s is the most practical and best option, but i was just pointing out that other similar sized planes run on 4s fine. sorry, i really didnt mean to start a huge debate
No... It's not like that.. From time to time we have these discussions, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong.. I've done many modifications to my planes, that I wouldn't recommend to the masses...
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Hey Tim so are you going with a 5S setup on the edge?

Like I always say "you can put a bigblock in a VW beetle" "but that dosent make it right" [/QUOTE]
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:38 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
I do think the "trend" is higher voltages make for easier higher efficiencies.The availability of he higher S packs at more decent prices are making this a reality.I think back about 3 years and we were trying to pull all the power we could from a 3s pack lolol.So we can fly these planes light and powerfull.I believe this is a trend to go higher voltages.It is a philosophy being used now by lots of folk in the RC industry.Kinda makes sense too.My "plane setup" philosophy is to try to get an equal amount of balance between motor weight/power to battery weight/power.I dont like to add weight to my planes.CG makes these planes.If you can get a great CG for your flying preference for the plane you are flying without making the plane too heavy or too light,you are in the game.keeping temps down and power up is the new cool tho it seems .
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:48 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
Hey Tim so are you going with a 5S setup on the edge?
Yes, I have the 5cell (3600 35-45C) setup in my 58" with the recommended torque motor, and a 16x8 Xoar.. 5cell is the light setup for this plane..

(this is from page one of the thread)

"Extreme Flight, We've done a lot of experimenting with this power system and various batteries and props. Here are some interesting details using the 4016/500 and Airboss Elite 80 Amp ESC:

16x8 XOAR on 5S TP 3850 mah~1100 Watts at 65 Amps

16x10 XOAR on 5S TP 3850 mah~1300 Watts at 73 Amps

15x6 XOAR on 6S Turnigy Nanotech 3000 mah~1250 Watts at only 53 Amps!!!!

15x8 XOAR ON 6S Turnigy Nanotech 3000 mah~1400 Watts at 71 Amps."
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Apr 03, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:58 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
I have some 5cells may get a couple of 6S to try it out.

What type of flight times are you getting on the extra with that set up.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:04 AM
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
Im reading all the suggestions on batteries, I have the combo pack on order but I don't want a plane that is crazy on power and to much for me to handle. It looks like the 6s will do this, Herc says it feels like it has to much power on 5S, so what would the suggestions be?
Balsa Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Breaker
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:04 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
I have some 5cells may get a couple of 6S to try it out.

What type of flight times are you getting on the extra with that set up.

I'm getting 8minutes with a mixed bag of flying...when I recharge the 3600 packs take around 2000mah..
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:06 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Breaker View Post
Im reading all the suggestions on batteries, I have the combo pack on order but I don't want a plane that is crazy on power and to much for me to handle. It looks like the 6s will do this, Herc says it feels like it has to much power on 5S, so what would the suggestions be?
5cell, and prop down if you feel like it's to much...

I flew one pack, with my 58" this morning before the teams showed up and I had to leave the ballfield..
Now I'm sitting in front of a local club waiting for a member to show up and open the gate... I wana fly!!!!!
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
How do you figure a 5S setup has less power than a 6S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Breaker View Post