SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:07 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
HI Guys,

Tony never answered me about wheather he would be willing to cut a set of ribs with different air foils or not. It's been weeks. I know he said he was going to be on each coast for 2 weeks at a time. I'm beginning to wonder what's up with him. I'll shoot him another email, and see if he answeres.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:07 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Well it looks like I'll have to make my own ribs as my Irish luck has struck once more.I broke a tooth on an olive pit that was hideing in some pasta salad and it took most of my stash of cash to get rid of what was left of it.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:36 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
The wood came in friday and I picked it up from the lhs yesterday.I spent some of the day makeing up the trailing edge stock and the spars.I have a customer dropping off some drafting mylar this week so I can trace the plans and keep the origenal set clean,they may find a permenent home on the shop wall.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:17 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Hi Scottie,

Sorry to hear about your tooth. My little pile of Raven pieces and parts is getting a little bigger each week. I bought a balsa stripper the other day so I can make my own square stock from sheet stock. It's the woodworker in me, what can I say. I have started to go through my balsa stock selecting the right wood for the various parts. I am still trying to decide if I want to add spoilers or flaps to it. It will get one or the other. The flaps would be for getting out of big thermals and landing on shorter fields not camber modes. I still have plenty of time to decide.

I am probably going to make the two rib templates this week and make a test set of ribs using some 3mm depron. I want to have a little better idea of the stack process before I use my balsa.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:22 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Morning Guys,

I'm sorry to say that I still haven't heard from Tony. I don't know what has happened to him. Maybe we should look at finding another guy. What do you guys think ?

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:04 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just heard from Tony. The answer is YES. He can make a rib set for the Ravin with any airfoil you want. Here is the situation. He now has a full time job. He has to travel extensively He time on the cutter is very limited. He said to let him know what you want as far as airfiols and numbers of sets and he would try to get to it asap. But, we need to be somewhat paitent.
So that's it guys. Figure it out as soon as you can and let him know. Don't forget that the current rib plan in his computer is for a D box wing. If you want a change on that, let him know with your choise for an airfoil.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:21 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Well I got a little closer to being ready today. I had the afternoon off so I took my Raven plan over to the copier place and had them make me two copies of the original, one regular and one a mirror image. This way I can cut up the copies to make it easier to work with while preserving the master copy. It cost a whole $7 for the two. Paid cash and got a discount, gotta love it.

So those of you wanting laser cut ribs need to let me know what you want so I/Bob can get the information to Tony. He started a full time job which includes travel so he needs a reasonable lead time to get them done in time for the start of the build. In order to keep things simple all I really need to know is what airfoil you want and whether you want fully sheeted ribs or d-box sheeting only. According to the previous price table Tony gave us the cost will be roughly $55 plus shipping. After I have solid commitments I will be able to get a solid price from Tony but $55 plus shipping should be close.

I hope all of you are getting excited, I know I am. I think my local hobby shop guy is getting sick and tired of me looking though the racks of linkages and stock at his store. I have been trying to think through most of the build in order to not have an uh-oh moment. Hopefully between all of us we can have everything figured out.

Wayne
Old Sep 01, 2010, 12:49 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,150 Posts
Wayne:

Do you want us individually to contact Tony or are you going to send him a composite list?

After much deliberation I have decided to stay with the original foil of a fully sheeted wing (not the D-box). Why mess with a successful plane? Plus, at my windy venue, more wing strength is favored over weight. YMMV.

BTW, some pages back someone mentioned bell cranks from hilaunch.com...well I was in my LHS yesterday for some parts for my US1M sailboat and just wandered through the glider parts section when what did I see but a package of that bell crank and 4 control horns (2 aileron and 2 R/E) for only $10 USD - my time is worth more than that. They just "jumped" into my basket! Very nice construction. Now to figure how to make the axle. Thinking of aluminum tubing to keep the weight out of the tail - every gram aft on the tail is 4 or more in the nose.

I have to get off my butt and order the wood this week, but I am trying to add it to an order I am putting together to build a US1M hull too so I can save on the shipping. Who has the best wood now; Lonestar, National, USA Balsa or ????

After going through my parts box I have accumulated the cells, motor/gb, ESC, UBEC and servos (HS81's for the R/E and HS-5125 digital thin wing for the ailerons and HS51's for the spoilers - still undecided about flaps but I have two HS-81MG's if I need them). Still looking for a spinner but I may wait until I get the nose tapered so I can get the correct size.

FC

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:03 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
Wayne:

Do you want us individually to contact Tony or are you going to send him a composite list?
Hi FC,

My thought was to put together one composite list and send that to Tony. I was thinking that a single point of contact would be easier for him rather than having 5 or 6 guys contacting him. I have no interest in getting in the middle of the money part so once the final cost is calculated you can send him the funds directly.

What do all of you think? Would each of you rather contact Tony yourself? I am not trying to insert myself into the middle of anything here just trying to help.

Wayne
Old Sep 01, 2010, 02:43 PM
My next plane will be better
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
This sounds like fun.
When are you planning on the official start?
How long will the build take?
When are you going to do the rib order?

I'm trying to decide if I should jump in at the last min. I already have a Bird of Time kit to do this winter but I could put it off maybe.

I wonder how mad the wife would be if I have two sailplane builds to do.
3sportbob is offline Find More Posts by 3sportbob
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:29 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,035 Posts
9 pages guys and no-one has started building yet

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:39 PM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
9 pages guys and no-one has started building yet

Mike
I'm thinking some may have jumped the gun a little.

Mike how much for a set of plans shipped to conus?
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:17 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sportbob View Post
I'm thinking some may have jumped the gun a little.

Mike how much for a set of plans shipped to conus?
If Conus is in the US - 10-90p

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:46 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,074 Posts
conus = CONtinental US
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Sep 01, 2010, 05:36 PM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
If Conus is in the US - 10-90p

Mike
yes - sorry mike conus = continental US. Thanks Don for clarifying that for him.

I'll get in touch via your website and do the paypal thing.

Bob