HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2014, 06:44 AM
Joined Oct 2014
1 Posts
Hi guys, beware i'm a newbie !! Tried to read as much as possible. But still have a problem .

I've just received my V2 Skysurfer ARF. Sadly they haven't glued the motor straight !

So how can i remove it to reinstall it straight !! I don't want to break the fuselage !!!

Thanks

Sorry guys i read more and found out about motor thrust angle!! so everything is normal !!
mindstorm88 is offline Find More Posts by mindstorm88
Last edited by mindstorm88; Oct 01, 2014 at 07:00 AM. Reason: info found !!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2014, 07:54 AM
Crasher Extraordinaire
United Kingdom, England, Devon
Joined Apr 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSLAWNDART View Post
My right wing is 22 grams heavier than my left wing. This is a brand new skysurfer 1.4m version 1 plane. Should I be concerned that the plane is not balanced along its axis?

Anyone else noticed this?
An ounce/20gms is quite a lot!! But it happens. And, as mentioned, it may not make much difference to how it flies.
Firstly, are you sure the wings are settled into the fuselage really well, and is all your enectronic stuff sitting one sided inside the plane? If the battery is off centre and you have a big ESC on one side, that alone can do it.
If you finally decide you want to correct it, just tape a few of coins on top of the wing just past the aileron and fly it. After testing, and if you feel you actually need to balance it, get a sharp knife, ( a sharp, pointed, kitchen knife is best (4 inch vegetable knife)), makea small-ish horizontal a slit with the knife in line with the main flat part of the wing, but under the up curve of the wing tip, if you see what I mean.. Then push a coin of two in there and either use tape or hot glue to close the slit.

I did these pix just now, but didn't add the coins because I don't need them. I'm not using my Bixler much anymore because it flies a bit like a crab walks, after I crashed it into about 6 pieces a while back.

Careful with that knife Eugene!

A friend just said, "Why not use aluminium weights, then they won't be so heavy." Then he looked stupid. ROFL!
cheapncheerful is offline Find More Posts by cheapncheerful
Old Oct 01, 2014, 08:41 AM
Crasher Extraordinaire
Joined Apr 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindstorm88 View Post
Hi guys, beware i'm a newbie !! Tried to read as much as possible. But still have a problem .

I've just received my V2 Skysurfer ARF. Sadly they haven't glued the motor straight !

So how can i remove it to reinstall it straight !! I don't want to break the fuselage !!!

Thanks

Sorry guys i read more and found out about motor thrust angle!! so everything is normal !!
Yeap, you got it!
A puller, with the prop on the nose will have a couple of degrees of right thrust and 3or so degrees of down in most circumstances. The longer the nose, the smaller the required angles get. A pusher, like the Sky Surfer/Bixler will have lots of down thrust and a bit of side maybe, but it doesn't need much side thrust to fly well.
The side thrust is to do with how a plane reacts to the "propwash" when it hits the rudder. I've been flying RC for more than 12 months and thst part still seems strange to me. But it does work.
With our type of pusher, most ot the propwash is directed over the tail rather than at it, so it's not such a big issue. But the down thrust is absolutely essential for a smooth flight.
I've posted this before and I think at least one other has shown something similar.

This is how your motor will probably look when compared to the CG position (the wing spar) and the fuselage.

If you get a bad nose dive when you give it the beans, you can adjust the thrust angle by just adding a piece of plastic card between the motor and the motor mount. As you can see, I cut away the foam around the motor so I could do just that. I ended up adding approx 1mm of plasticard at the bottom of the motor. This gave me an almost spot on angle with the projected center line of the motor passing through the wing spar.
Last edited by cheapncheerful; Oct 01, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2014, 11:58 AM
Orlando
Joined Jun 2003
338 Posts
Cheapncheerful,

To answer your question I weighed the wings off the plane. With all electronics except the motor the plane will tip towards the side with the heaviest wing. I put a few of the washers,that come inside the nose, on the wing while the plane was on the floor and I was able to get it balanced. I agree that 20 grams is not a small amount of weight, It is like having 2 extra servos on the wing for no reason. I have not flown the plane yet. Perhaps the Skysurfer was intentionally designed this way to counteract torque of the motor?? I can tell the additional weight in the wing is due to higher density of foam.

Generally speaking Aerobatic planes should be Axially balanced, I know this is far from an aerobatic plane. I will fly the plane this way and then I will fly it with the counterbalanced weights and see if this has any effect on the slow speed landings. With the power on I don't think there will be a noticeable difference.

At the moment I have cut the fuselage in half because when I was doing a bench powertest and I noticed that the vibrations were getting worse and worse. I used both the Stock balanced prop and a balanced APC prop. I discovered it is due to the 2 long screws that go thru the balsa motor mount were vibrating loose. They weren't even hand tight. I am glad I took it apart because I am going to dremel some of the balsa wooden mount to increase airflow into the motor and Locktite/lockwasher the long screws. (I can post pics if anyone wants) Also another fortunate discovery while the fuselage was in half was that the Rudder servo arm was mounted incorrectly. This is why I do full powerbench tests at home, although the noise is unbearable sometimes (wear ear protection) I would prefer this to happen at home then at the field or in the Air. =)
GWSLAWNDART is offline Find More Posts by GWSLAWNDART
Last edited by GWSLAWNDART; Oct 01, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2014, 01:03 PM
Crasher Extraordinaire
Joined Apr 2012
200 Posts
Looks like your problem was poor quality control at the factory.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 12:40 PM
United States, OR, Rainier
Joined Jul 2013
2 Posts
Problem with Sky Surfer Pro

First an introduction: The last time I was involved in model airplanes was back in 1967, control line and free flight. I have always been interested with model aircraft but got sidetracked; cars, girls, motorcycles and then the military. I attempted on several times to indulge my interest in model aircraft but never seemed to have the time, I now have the time but lack the finances, so I decided to start saving money to purchase a RTF, and researching what to start with. I finally decided on the BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Pro, it large enough to see and flew slow enough for a novice to control, meanwhile I practiced on the computer with an old Futaba I had purchased in one of my attempts to get into r/c aircraft.
I purchased my Sky Surfer, assembly and setup was easy.
Finally got up the courage to maiden my BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer Pro.
I managed to get it into the air and seemed to be doing fine until this tree jumped out in front of it. My daughter climbed the tree and got it down, the nose came off and the wings had come loose. I put the nose back on, pushed the wings back together, they weren't aligning properly so I pulled them off and noticed the pins on two of the connectors in the fuselage were bent, I tried to straighten them but the pins broke off, the servo wire connectors in the fuselage are mounted in a block and difficult to get to, I am looking for a solution to this problem if I find one I will post it here, meanwhile I am open to suggestions.

Observations:
Aircraft is easy to assemble and fly.
nose comes off too easily, I plan on tethering it to the fuselage.
wing servo electrical connectors are too fragile, connectors in the fuselage are difficult to get to, I would recommend swapping the connectors putting the male connectors in the wing as they are the most likely to be damaged and therefore need to be easier to access.
The wings come apart easily and should be checked before each flight, I plan on running a strap between the wings, attached with Velcro.

Wish me luck.
jhcadd is offline Find More Posts by jhcadd
Old Oct 03, 2014, 06:30 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcadd View Post
First an introduction: The last time I was involved in model airplanes was back in 1967, control line and free flight.
Ahhh yes, back in the 50s and early 60s, free flight and control line....

Quote:
seemed to be doing fine until this tree jumped out in front of it.
4th or 5th law of Newton or Maxwell about magnet attraction of trees.

Quote:
so I pulled them off and noticed the pins on two of the connectors in the fuselage were bent, I tried to straighten them but the pins broke off, the servo wire connectors in the fuselage are mounted in a block and difficult to get to, ...... I plan on running a strap between the wings, attached with Velcro.
Look on my Blog (click on my name) and you will see what I've done. Glued the connectors to the fuselage under the wings (picture with "Ph" on the side of the fuselage) and the servo wire has some slack and plugs in (next picture). The wings are Velcroed on with 2 strips (picture above taken before the connectors were fitted).

I've since glued on 2 more connectors, one each side and these can run a bomb release or what ever with the ordinance carrier Velcroed under the wing.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Oct 04, 2014, 03:55 AM
Crasher Extraordinaire
Joined Apr 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcadd View Post
The wings come apart easily and should be checked before each flight, I plan on running a strap between the wings, attached with Velcro.

Wish me luck.
Hi JH
I flew RC for the first time last year and used a Bixler to train on. If you check my pic ^^^ somewhere above ^^^ you'll see that U used rubber bands. A method recommended by the original poster of this excellent thread. And I heartily agree with Mac on introducing some slack wire to the mix. Foam models are slack. Their whole personality is based on being a bit bouncy in the first place. The Bixler has nothing rigid about whatsoever, and I include the carbon spars in that!
Good luck and fly high!