HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:30 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Tim-- Sounds about right. Mount as much gear as forward as possible. The lower part of the cowl is a removeable hatch so the battery can probably go in there. I'll probably use full size servos mounted forward of the CG. If I have to add weight it might as well be useful. Possibly use an RX pack too. This might all be unnecessary since this Spitfire has a longish nose. We'll see.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:47 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,642 Posts
I had to subscribe...I have always loved the Spit and this looks like one of the best looking ARF's. I love to build but you can't find any Spit kits this size. Looking forward to following along, would really like to know empty airframe weight. I guess I will keep checking the website to see if they have another $99. sale!!!

Dennis
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Dennis-- Maybe they'll have an after Christmas sale. It is worth the extra $35 though. I didn't wait on it since sometimes when NitroPlanes goes out of stock on something they never seem to get anymore in.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Dennis-- Maybe they'll have an after Christmas sale. It is worth the extra $35 though. I didn't wait on it since sometimes when NitroPlanes goes out of stock on something they never seem to get anymore in.

Mike
Mike,

Guess I waited too long....they are out of stock.... I sent them an e-mail asking when they will get more.

Did you ever get a chance to weigh all the parts and pieces?

Thanks,
Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Check E-Bay
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:59 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,854 Posts
http://www.emaxinc.com/cmpsp5054nig.html

These guys have them for $130.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:35 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,642 Posts
...Thanks for the info...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2009, 06:20 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Servos

My DS 821 servos are to big for the retracts, what are you guys using?
rlafolle is offline Find More Posts by rlafolle
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:26 PM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
I've been looking at the BMS-136MG Retract Servo from hobbycity. http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idproduct=8770
I've assembled the Spit as much as I can without having the servos or electric power system yet.
Kinda hoping someone else posts what they are using to follow as a guide.
kenthedragon is offline Find More Posts by kenthedragon
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:54 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthedragon View Post
I've been looking at the BMS-136MG Retract Servo from hobbycity. http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idproduct=8770
I've assembled the Spit as much as I can without having the servos or electric power system yet.
Kinda hoping someone else posts what they are using to follow as a guide.
For what it's worth ken, forget the hobbyking retract servo and go with the hitec HS-75 retract BB servo, it will do the job well, plus you should be able to buy at you you LHS so no waiting.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:07 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
I'm so PO'd with Nitroplanes. I bought a Nitroplanes Guan Li Catalina last month and built it over the last few days. I flew it for the first time yesterday and it flew well for a little over 4 minutes then the plane failed to respond to the radio. It regained signal and I was able to turn to port away from a stand of trees but then the radio failed again and the plane crashed from a few feet up crushing the nose. It was no more than 75 feet away at the time. The nimh battery was cycled 4 times before use. It was warm off of the charger so no question of battery failure.

Went online for a live chat with customer service at Nitroplanes and they told me the warranty ends when the plane takes flight. They told me to buy replacement parts online!! I don't think so. No more of my money going to Nitroplanes. All I wanted was a replacement fuselage. Nothing more, not a full plane or servos, etc.

I'm done with Nitroplanes. I've always read about their lack of customer service and now I see first hand what the hullabaloo is all about. I get better CS from Hobby City believe it or not!

Dummies. I was going to order the CMP Mosquito but not now.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2010, 01:10 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
Mike,

Guess I waited too long....they are out of stock.... I sent them an e-mail asking when they will get more.

Did you ever get a chance to weigh all the parts and pieces?

Thanks,
Denny
AK Models sells CMPro. Try their site: http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...Store_Code=AKM

They don't have it listed but maybe they can get it for you. There's a 20% off sale going on right now. If I get the Mosquito it'll be from AK Models not Nitroplanes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2010, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
I just want you guys to know that I went on the Nitroplanes support forum on RCUniverse and made a post like post #71 above and it was completely removed. When I made mention of that in another Catalina thread the moderator edited thread without noting that it had been edited! He changed my words to suit the site sponsor. Unbelievable!!

I know that guys complain about the mods here sometimes but I have to say that they give us a lot of freedom to complain and make known problems with models.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2010, 04:18 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
upstate NY; Lake George region
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
I just want you guys to know that I went on the Nitroplanes support forum on RCUniverse and made a post like post #71 above and it was completely removed. When I made mention of that in another Catalina thread the moderator edited thread without noting that it had been edited! He changed my words to suit the site sponsor. Unbelievable!!

I know that guys complain about the mods here sometimes but I have to say that they give us a lot of freedom to complain and make known problems with models.

That's exactly why I cancelled my account at RCU and will never go back!

RCGroups is a much nicer place to be!

My only experience with Nitroplanes is OK. I bought their $99 .40-size Ultimate bipe a few years ago and have no complaints. That Spit looks beautiful and I'm tempted to order one! I have a small World Models electric Spit and it's a fun little model.

I have a CMP 140-size P-40 ready to assemble very soon. It appears that the CMP ARFs are of pretty nice quality, construction-wise. I'll find out about the flight quality next season....

Good flying,
desmobob
desmobob is offline Find More Posts by desmobob