SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:15 AM
Denmark, Farum
Joined Sep 2004
83 Posts
Discussion
Need help on advanced features on FLZ_Vortex by Frank Ranis

Hi,

I have been using this software for some months now, and used Nurflügel before that. So I am confident that I have a good understanding of the aspects of Frank Ranis' SW. One puzzling detail in FLZ_Vortex is that mine did not download with a help file... So I am a little confused as to how to use the new and advanced features that Nurflügel didn't provide.

In FLZ_Vortex the feature 'Total Polar Computations' really baffle me. Is there a good tutorial out there that actually explain this feature in a good way?

It seems as this feature has the potential to make graphs instead of the normal 'Design Computation that will just give you one performance, from any one of the key-parameters input in the left part of the window. Instead this new feature in FLZ seems to enable advanced analysis of radio-mixes (deflections per flight-phase), and such...

FLZ_Vortex can be freely downloaded and used from here:
http://www.flz-vortex.de/flz_vortex.html

A good basic tutorial to get started here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1898646

I have read this great advanced tutorial:
http://www.flz-vortex.de/Pdf/Vortex_Tutorial.pdf

But still I have no clue how to use the interesting features under the aforementioned tab-page 'Total Polar Computations'.

Can anyone explain or point me to some help here? It seems really interesting to understand this concept in greater depth. And for once Google was not my friend here...

Thanks
analucius is online now Find More Posts by analucius
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:13 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,115 Posts
I can add that to the other thread you linked to. Tomorrow, no time today.

It only lets you vary one parameter at a time, as far as I know. I think you'd need to generate several polars and manually interpolate between them to optimize the radio mixes.

Hans
hul is online now Find More Posts by hul
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:37 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,115 Posts
have a look and let me know if it is clear: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1898646

Hans
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:53 AM
Denmark, Farum
Joined Sep 2004
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hul View Post
have a look and let me know if it is clear: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1898646

Hans
Hi Hans,

Maybe you are just the right guy to get us further with FLZ_Vortex. Thank you for the elaborate and easy to follow how-to. This was what got me most of the way.

And thank you for updating it today with this latest question of mine.

However I have done the same which you describe with the advanced tap-page 'Total Polar Computations'. But I am sure that you may have the ability to use this feature to somewhat more elaborate and deep ingenuity.

I was thinking that with a full house glider I would be able to simulate a range of BOTH aileron AND flap ranges at the same time and go from there or other andvanced indsight.

Any thought?
analucius is online now Find More Posts by analucius
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:41 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,115 Posts
don't think you can do that in one go. If you enter more than just the elevator into the table it'll vary both at the same time and not leave one, vary the other, then change the first by one step and vary the other again and so on.

I'd calculate polars for different flap positions: polars for flaps at -5, new polars for flaps at -4 etc
Frank Ranis did it like this in his tutorial: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...=1#post3101273

Hans
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:57 PM
greg
somerset, nj
Joined Feb 2005
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by analucius View Post
In FLZ_Vortex the feature 'Total Polar Computations' really baffle me. Is there a good tutorial out there that actually explain this feature in a good way?
I'm not familiar with FLZ_Vortex.

After I started developing a VLM analysis tool, Wing Analysis Version 2.3, to study VLM, I felt the results were incomplete because they did not include drag. I then read Understanding Polars Without Math and saw how Cd is a function of airspeed, Reynolds Number. I then incorporated drag data available from the UIUC Airfoil Data Site into my tool, and this gave me a better, more quantitative understanding, of wing performance over the range of airspeeds the aircraft would operate over. Of course the drag analysis could only be performed for the airfoils with drag data available at UIUC.

However, while VLM is a relatively straight mathematical implementation, use of drag information was new to me, and I hadn't read about any other modeler doing so. Even Mark Drela requested a copy of the source, and I assume most analysis tools today (e.g. AVL) include drag information to provide a more complete estimate of performance over the airspeed range of the aircraft (i.e. L/D Polar). Of course drag data estimates can be used and a tools like Xfoil can probably provide sufficiently accurate data.
ciurpita is offline Find More Posts by ciurpita