HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:18 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
493 Posts
Discussion
Back on task...

OK after a quick detour into scale gas aerobatics which ended with my spankin' new Christen Eagle tree-raped. And my club 25 racing career stalled while seeking a sponsor with deeper pockets (I discovered FSR's are no match for Webra speeds) I've decided to return home with a new ride.

Ta Da! My new practice plane...

I've discovered with my high maintenance 'trophy classics' I don't get a whole lot of quality stick time. A lot of time fiddlin' and fussin', primpin' and prepin' a few minutes of holding my breath while my thumbs are shaking and prying to God I can finish with out breaking something.

...suddenly I have the urge for a cigarette(?)
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,932 Posts
Eric,

sweet stuff... but I'm talking about your new ride in the background...

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
493 Posts
This is about all the work I've gotten done so far.

Going old school with an upright Kraft .61, mechanical retracts with chrome DuBros. I did get a 12oz slim Hayes stuffed in there pretty easy. I just pulled out the aft former, wrapped the tank in foam and shoved it up to the front former.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:54 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
This is about all the work I've gotten done so far.
Of course, what was I thinking!

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:22 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
Wow she has nice curves !!!
patternpilot1 is offline Find More Posts by patternpilot1
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:56 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
808 Posts
Clean up on isle 6......

BTW, nice airplane Eric.

-Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:15 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
493 Posts
All finished. I'll try and maiden this weekend. The only real deviations from stock are 4-40 pushrods instead of 2-56, Robart mechanical retracts instead of the cheapo Hobbico's called-out. And I removed the aft tank former and stuffed a foam wrapped Hayes 12oz in there. It comes in at 7lbs 12oz ready to fly dry. It balanced with no extra weight with the batt just in front of the servo tray. I've got a couple inches fwd and aft to play with if needed. Perfect.
Last edited by edh13; Feb 16, 2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:26 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
493 Posts
I literally took this new 30 something year old Kraft out of the box, installed the carb, and stuffed it in the plane. Flipped it by hand once and it fired. Flipped it again and it was running!! I got about three heat cycles on it with about a half a tank of gas. I figure about three more cycles and I'm flying it. Hell I trust it now.
Why doesn't DuBro bring back the chromes? They are so pretty...
Eric
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:00 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,776 Posts
very nice mate

lokking forward to seeing a video of her flying

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:23 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
493 Posts
Got it up today!
...and I also maiden'd the Dirty Birdy...

It was pretty uneventful, thank God. I'm looking forward to having a nice dependable practice plane. Three good flights. All I need to do is a little lateral balancing and move the battery aft a bit and it will be hands off inverted. It flys a lot like the Mystery Plane on a diet. I can really feel the 2.5lbd difference. The thing I'm most impressed with is this Kraft .61! Nice dependable American muscle. It ran like a watch all day, stronger every flight. Stock with no pipe it pulls hard. I can't imagine how fast Paul's is with the NovaRossi, scary!

My buddy took a vid with his phone. When he sends it I'll post it.
Eric
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:29 PM
Jim Johns
United States, AL, Dutton
Joined Jan 2013
180 Posts
Congrats on the maiden voyage of you DB. It looks great, but I just have to ask - where the heck did you find a Rev-Up 11-7 1/4 prop?????
ReelDoc is offline Find More Posts by ReelDoc
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:54 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelDoc View Post
Congrats on the maiden voyage of you DB. It looks great, but I just have to ask - where the heck did you find a Rev-Up 11-7 1/4 prop?????
I can be found at the various club swap meets diving for Rev-Up's in the always present Big-Bucket-O-Props that the old fart electric converts put out for sale. That and I will by any online I find. I only have a few 11x7.x left. But I couldn't stomach seeing an APC bolted to the front of this Kraft.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:55 AM
Jim Johns
United States, AL, Dutton
Joined Jan 2013
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
I can be found at the various club swap meets diving for Rev-Up's in the always present Big-Bucket-O-Props that the old fart electric converts put out for sale. That and I will by any online I find. I only have a few 11x7.x left. But I couldn't stomach seeing an APC bolted to the front of this Kraft.
I haven't been to a swap meet lately, so I suppose I need to go. Our LHS used ot be a distributor for Rev-Up props, so I've used a lot of them. Guess I'm not as much of a purist as you about vintage props on vintage engines. If it works, it's OK by me.

Back before APC came on the scene, my pattern prop of choice was a Yoshioka 11-7.7. That thing was awesome for it's day. I think I even have one NIB left stashed somewhere.
ReelDoc is offline Find More Posts by ReelDoc