HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:19 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Discussion
I need advice.

I have a couple of twisted hobbys 3d planes. I'm thinking i might turn my 44" edge into a night flier. I ordered some turnigy strips and all the accessories. My question to y'all is, should i face the leds into the foam or away? I heard the turnigys are pretty bright.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:44 PM
Unregistered Nightflyer
Joined Jul 2009
158 Posts
It all depends on what input voltage you plan to use. At the full 3s 12.6v input they are screamingly bright. But at 2s 8.4v they are not quite bright enough IMHO. Maybe try it both ways and see what you think.

The heli guys often use a small brushed esc as a pwm controller to dim the lights. Not sure if your interested as this can add weight.

If you do end up using 3s like I do just be sure not to look directly at the lights close up. They are ok once I get airborne.
kavic5150 is offline Find More Posts by kavic5150
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:37 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150 View Post
It all depends on what input voltage you plan to use. At the full 3s 12.6v input they are screamingly bright. But at 2s 8.4v they are not quite bright enough IMHO. Maybe try it both ways and see what you think.

The heli guys often use a small brushed esc as a pwm controller to dim the lights. Not sure if your interested as this can add weight.

If you do end up using 3s like I do just be sure not to look directly at the lights close up. They are ok once I get airborne.
Thanks, I'll be using 3s since I have packs laying around for another small plane. I guess your leds are facing outward then, right?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
Unregistered Nightflyer
Joined Jul 2009
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winndaddy View Post
Thanks, I'll be using 3s since I have packs laying around for another small plane. I guess your leds are facing outward then, right?
Yeah. And I often forget to tell folks that I have a light tint on my prescription lenses.
kavic5150 is offline Find More Posts by kavic5150
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Dang, haha.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:41 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,611 Posts
I like the lights pointed inside only on white foam models. If the foam is painted, go ahead and point them outward.

My favorite look though is 3s on balsa models with the LEDs under the covering
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavic5150 View Post

I recently ordered for the first time some led lights for my electric glider Lanyu Evolution 1.6m. This will be the first time I've experimented with led lights and night flying.

How does the brushed esc work with led lights? I plan on, at first, powering my lights of my flight battery.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy