HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:17 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,417 Posts
Discussion
Vintage Stunt Control line to RC/I.C. to electric, by Warbirdkits.com

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool scale modeler. But every once in a while, a non-scale design ruffles my feathers. Esp. if it takes me back to my early day's of modeling, when things seemed so simple.

The design is the well known VECO Squaw. Were still considering names for the new version. There have been notable RC conversions of control line models. One of them, the Top Flite Nobler. I converted one of these to RC in the mid 70's. Just before TF came out with the kit. The way these fly, they have to be the grandfather 3-D.

I built several of the VECO's. Squaw, Chief, Smoothie(my fav). Thet built much lighter than the Sterling CL models. The Ruffy being a fav. IIRC, I used the VECO .29 in my Squaw.

Tom Jacoby at Warbirdkits, is always doing interesting things. And, this is one of them. He redesigned it completely, and asked if I wanted one to thrash out. If there is enough interest, I'm sure he will finalize the kit for availability.
The scale is 1-1 as the original. 39" WS. I plan on using a Eflie Park 450 outrunner. Tom always gives me freedom to change things as I see fit. He designed it with a removable wing. Because the fuselage is small in cross section, I elected to make the wing permanent.

The ailerons use a servo on each. And I plane on locating the elev/rudder servos to the rear of the plane. There is some modification of parts, as supplied, needed. Tom, will make these changes as always. Plus the usual teething problems of a new kit.

But, as I'm posting and changing, at the same time, please bear with me.
So, I started it Sunday morn, and here's what I have so far.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:47 AM
United States, WA, Bothell
Joined Apr 2011
77 Posts
Will have to keep an eye on this! We converted a 1974 Peacemaker to R/C, and have been too chicken to give it a launch.
Rightseater is offline Find More Posts by Rightseater
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:37 AM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool scale modeler. But every once in a while, a non-scale design ruffles my feathers. Esp. if it takes me back to my early day's of modeling, when things seemed so simple.

The design is the well known VECO Squaw. Were still considering names for the new version. Fuzz
It is "scale"! This model is a 1:1 scale model of the original Squaw, as faithful as I can make it in outline. But the internal structure is my design, very different.

I always admired the smooth flowing Golden Age lines of the VECO stunters, especially the Squaw. It just begs to be painted in between-the-wars US Army pursuit colors with a 95th Pursuit Squadron "kicking mule" insignia.

I'm thinking of naming it the "Bonita". Sorry Fuzz, not "bonito" that you were so fond of down in Florida!

Tom
www.warbirdkits.com
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:00 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightseater View Post
Will have to keep an eye on this! We converted a 1974 Peacemaker to R/C, and have been too chicken to give it a launch.
I remember that ship. I would not worry about it's RC flyability. These conversions have a large CG range. The only reason to give them a forward CG for CL, was to help keep the lines tight. IIRC, the Nobler I had set at 40% MAC. And as they are usually flown like a modern 3-D, further reward would probably work. I guess it's how you want to fly it. I think the "Bonita" would probably work at 30-40%. Start at 30%.

I reversed the ail servo position. Now the horn exits the open rib bay outside the center sheeting. It has its own hatch now. Pics later. I had to order a set of alum dural gear. All the ones I had were either to big or small. Will be here on the 11th.

The tail surfaces are done. I can do some covering and work on the fuse first. Will be using yellow and blue Econo-Kote. Love this stuff. And it will have the red, white blue rudder, Tom. Think I may have a "Top Hat" emblem.

Plenty of red center cocades, too.

Fuzz
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:19 PM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,639 Posts
Quote:
The tail surfaces are done. I can do some covering and work on the fuse first. Will be using yellow and blue Econo-Kote. Love this stuff. And it will have the red, white blue rudder, Tom. Think I may have a "Top Hat" emblem.

Plenty of red center cocades, too.

Fuzz
IIRC, I ordered olive drab for the fuselage and chrome yellow for the wings and tail of my Bonita.

With those huge control surfaces, the Bonita ought to be capable of some interesting aerobatics!

Tom
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:33 PM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,639 Posts
How about this for an OD and yellow scheme?

-t
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:51 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,417 Posts
Too complicated...lol..

The rudder is kind of small. Good for all around stuff. But for crazy stuff, I would go larger.

Fuzz
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:09 AM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Here;s more pics.

Fuzz
If I increase the rudder chord, then it won't be "scale"!

Love the color!

-tom
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:30 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,417 Posts
VERY, true! Thats why I left it alone. I don't want the scale fidelity "brown shirts" coming after me. I have already had conflict with the epoxy police, for adding alcohol.

Fuzz
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:54 PM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,639 Posts
Quote:
VERY, true! Thats why I left it alone. I don't want the scale fidelity "brown shirts" coming after me. I have already had conflict with the epoxy police, for adding alcohol.

Fuzz
I like building with alcohol. Sometimes I add it to the epoxy, too. Watch out - here come the FOME police

-t
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:05 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,154 Posts
That's Great! Have a soft spot for old time Stunters.
Built my First plane from a set of hand me down Super Zilch Plans. It came out well enough that I was given a hand me down O&R 23 for it.
Bit low on power tho, but It flew reasonably well. More than agile enough for an 11 old. Zilch's were well before the coupled flaps innovation. Sadly, younger brother later did a v nice wingover with it...sans the pulling out part.
Always thought about building a Nobler, consequently watching this one with interest. thanx,.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:47 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,417 Posts
Quote:
Always thought about building a Nobler, consequently watching this one with interest. thanx,.
Thank you for joining in. The RC Nobler, was changed considerably, by TF, for RC. The fuselage was enlarged to allow gear placement. The reg or Gieski Nobler needed a lot of fore thought. Only the full size stunt versions worked back then. Even the Nobler was just large enough. A Thunderbird, Smoothie, or Ruffy would have been easier. At the time, I already had the smallest flight pack available, in the Litco Rx and Bantam Midget servos.

An Al Rabe Bearcat or Mustang would work real good.

Quote:
I like building with alcohol. Sometimes I add it to the epoxy, too.
I always glue my appendages to things when I try that.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...17&postcount=1

Fuzz
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:22 AM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
That's Great! Have a soft spot for old time Stunters.
Built my First plane from a set of hand me down Super Zilch Plans. It came out well enough that I was given a hand me down O&R 23 for it.
Bit low on power tho, but It flew reasonably well. More than agile enough for an 11 old. Zilch's were well before the coupled flaps innovation. Sadly, younger brother later did a v nice wingover with it...sans the pulling out part.
Ah, the Nobler - now there is a true classic for a boy to dream about! With our modern radio gear, it ought to be fairly simple to re-create the original (i.e., CL version). Do it up like George Aldrich's original in Navy colors - because the Navy sponsored the Nats.

-tom
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:23 AM
Imagine That!
Joined Jan 2003
1,639 Posts
Quote:

I always glue my appendages to things when I try that.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...17&postcount=1

Fuzz
I have to admit to having blown an adult beverage out my nose when I read that post the first time. Darn cat!

-tom