SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:00 PM
Mascot
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Apr 1996
141 Posts
Discussion
We've updated our style: now with more fluiditudiny!

Hey gang, just your friendly neighborhood transmitter mascot here again with another exciting announcement about the RCGroups Beautification project!

We've just uploaded some changes to the beta style we toyed with earlier this week. Thanks to everyone who contributed feedback. Some of you just hate hate hated it because it was a fixed width style, so we're trying some new things this time.

Here is what we've changed:
  • Added a notification/style switcher under the main menu for all styles
  • Increased contrast between all text and background colors
  • Fixed bug that was causing horizontal scroll bar to appear prematurely when sizing the window down
  • Added a minimum and maximum width to the content area instead of a fixed 1000px width
  • Added a full fluid style
  • Various small fixes

The new style is something we're calling "adaptive width" because it will let you resize it up to a certain point. Give it a shot and if you don't like it try the fully fluid width. Note that unless you have a widescreen monitor you won't see the difference between the two.

After our last test ended with some negative feedback, Jim Bourke posted some thoughts to explain why we wanted to try a fixed width style, for those still curious.

Terry o-[ : ) ]
Terry is offline Find More Posts by Terry
Administrator
Last edited by Terry; Oct 21, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:08 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
681 Posts
Ok, I like it with the fluidity setting, that is much better. Now I like the new layout, much better. Just one more thing, Please do not change the font to the one used on Flying Giants, that font is hard on the eyes and tiring to read long articles, this font is much more relaxing. Thanks again
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:24 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I like the fluid width!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:30 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,051 Posts
Great!!....Now that I got used to the fixed width.....

But seriously, the question is: Is the option to choose between fixed and fluid temporary or permanent?
After bitching about the fixed width, I now think it sometimes comes in handy and can have merit.
My biggest objection to the fixed width was that it was limiting for viewing a gaggle of pictures.

Matin

Oh BTW, thanks for changing the shading on the date bar. It used to look like it belonged to the previous post.
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:43 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,367 Posts
Using it now, and at first I was kinda not liking it, but then I went to the fluid version and like it a lot! No huge changes in function over the old skin, but a nice change of pace visually, kinda refreshing.

Fluid works great for me, I usually browse at 1920x1200 on a 28" screen. I'll try the fixed an fluid on my smaller laptop screen later. Please leave the option for fluid and don't make it fixed only!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:17 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
I really like the fixed width style. Fluid width is all web 1.0.
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:28 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,741 Posts
Fluid flows and fixes .... fine job there Terry!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:05 PM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,807 Posts
Fluid width is the way to go - refreshing!

T
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:27 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Liking the fluid width option - very nice change
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Is there a mobile version of rcgroups?
quietfly is offline Find More Posts by quietfly
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:29 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietfly View Post
Is there a mobile version of rcgroups?
I use Tapatalk when I'm mobile, love it.

Peter+
pvogel is online now Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:34 PM
Mascot
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Apr 1996
141 Posts
We are working on our mobile style, but if you want to see what we have right now you can click the mobile link at the bottom of the page, or use one of the following URLS:
  • rcgroups.mobi
  • m.rcgroups.com.

Terry o-[ : ) ]
Terry is offline Find More Posts by Terry
Administrator
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,465 Posts
What I'd REALLY like to see is a 'view first unread' on the 'main' page vs having to go into a thread and then 'view first unread'.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:12 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,600 Posts
I can live with the fluid flow and the original. The white is a little bright for me but I may need to color adjust my widescreen monitor.

Thanks for moving away from the fixed width, the fixed width is the ONLY reason that I do not visit FlyingGiants. I don't have the eyes of a 15 year old anymore and fixed width, while the newest and greatest thing for the 'in crowd', does not offer anything for me.

Thumbs up for the fluid style.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:28 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,600 Posts
Hmmm, well the fluid style is just too bright for me. I did play with the color settings for my screen. Maybe keep the white background from the classic and use it for the fluid style?

Have you considered 'dulling' the white just a bit? Any thought given to turning down the intensity setting for the blue bars and going to a blue that has some 3d/layered depth to it?

Could also try a 'curves' style theme where the square corners/right angles are rounded a bit and 3D depth applied.

Going to stick with the classic for now, fluid looks really nice, just too bright for me.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Oct 20, 2011 at 06:36 PM.