SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:39 AM
ehelibuff
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2014
182 Posts
I still have a SIG Mustang 450 kit in my storage. Might start building it soon.
ehelibuff is offline Find More Posts by ehelibuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2014, 01:57 PM
DHG
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Jul 2010
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehelibuff View Post
Here's my old Polecat with an X40. ...
I would guess that's the D & S (Keith Davidson & Steve Sica) version. Bob Violett also made a F1 Pole Cat, but I remember it as having a straighter line down the turtledeck. In any case, make sure not to try & horse it off with a lot of up elevator. They had a tendency to snap-roll on takeoff if you didn't keep them low & flat on the climbout. I heard it explained as something about the horizontal tail being right in line with the wing, getting blanketed by the wing wake so it didn't have much authority at low speed. FWIW.

Beautiful model, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Duane
DHG is offline Find More Posts by DHG
Old Oct 01, 2014, 10:56 AM
DHG
Joined Jul 2010
527 Posts
D'oh!

Well, I misspoke a little there. I think the popular D & S midwing was actually a Rickey Rat, not a Pole Cat. So if that isn't the Violett Pole Cat, I don't know what it is.

Everything else I said is true. For the moment, anyway.

Cheers,

Duane
Old Oct 01, 2014, 11:05 AM
ehelibuff
Joined Aug 2014
182 Posts
Yeah, the Bob Violet version has a removable cheek cowl and are thicker. Mine are fixed and only the goatee cowl. I have a picture of another like it, but trying to scan it and post it would be so small. I can't for the life of me remember the maker....
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:23 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
565 Posts
Here's one for you. This is me very proudly showing off my Little Toni Formula One racer. I was running the Super Tiger X40 back then. This was taken in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in the early 1980's. I was about 19 yrs old. We had a racing team called the Leading Edge Racing Team. Nice coveralls eh!?

Those were the days my friend. Thanks to Chuck Swaney for the photograph.

Randy
Rsmith is offline Find More Posts by Rsmith
Old Oct 06, 2014, 06:29 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,860 Posts
Love the hat too!

Seriously though, the plane is beautiful.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2014, 09:53 AM
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Jan 2012
104 Posts
That looks like a really nice one! I love the panel lines and checkers!
speedfreak1 is offline Find More Posts by speedfreak1
Old Oct 13, 2014, 02:09 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2003
760 Posts
Just a young pup there!!
PylonDave is offline Find More Posts by PylonDave
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
104 Posts
Bob and myself with original F-1 Shark

This was taken today at the Mulberry races. Bob Brogdon built and raced this beautiful F-1 Shark back in the day! I am so thankful to Bob for allowing me to have it in my collection. It flys as good as it looks! I also want to thank Bob, Dub, and Mike Helsel for all of the help this weekend! You guys are awesome! I flew 426 and 422 for the first time! Anyone ever get shaky thumbs?! I didn't set the world on fire with my times, but I learned a lot without any carnage. This race last year was my first 424 race, and I will never forget what Mike told me when I got a little outta shape , "Don't crash" lol Walking out to the line and standing next to some of the biggest names of this sport was amazing! I am so hooked!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:48 PM
ehelibuff
Joined Aug 2014
182 Posts
Nice! I used to have a Shark too.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:09 PM
DHG
Joined Jul 2010
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak1 View Post
Bob Brogdon built and raced this beautiful F-1 Shark back in the day! I am so thankful to Bob for allowing me to have it in my collection. It flies as good as it looks!
Nice plane, great photo! But I just have to ask about that gray APC prop -- clearly not a museum piece, evidently part of the present-day flying equipment. What diameter/pitch is it, and are you flying the airplane with a throttled sport engine of some kind? Expiring minds want to know!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
104 Posts
Shark Engine Combination

You guys don't miss a thing! lol Bob originally raced this one with a K&B .40, but now has some updated power provided by Dub. It took some doing, but upfront is a Jett .60LX with a SS racing carb. I run a 12 oz bubbless which lasts long enough for a bunch of fun! The extra torque with a 9x8 prop eliminates ALL the issues out of getting these guys up to speed. It really pulls hard and climbs like no tomorrow! She really is a survivor, and has made it all these years without a chip or a scratched wingtip! The bottom of the wing is similar with a checker board design. I have a couple more from Bob and all of his planes are really finished nice!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:08 PM
DHG
Joined Jul 2010
527 Posts
Outstanding, thanks! Nice job on the cowl cutout, too. I have a Prather Little Toni I'm hoping to fit with a ST X .45 F.I.R.E. and Macs pipe; the prop may end up being a Q500 type (APC 8.8 x 8.75 or similar) or perhaps a 9 x 7 sport prop if it will swing that much blade. The 12 oz. bubbleless tank is a great idea, & there certainly will be room for it. That's one nice feature of the old F1s, no problem squeezing the innards into 'em.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
104 Posts
1972 Nats

The president of our Imperial RC Club emailed this vintage film of the 1972 Nats. There is some pretty cool footage of early pylon racers and racing. The music is questionable and some of the other planes are a bit slow, but this still a fun video. It's amazing how far along racing has evolved over the years. Special thanks to David Raff and the club members for their support of pylon racing, hosting two races a year along with allowing practice sessions in between
1972 Nats Scale, Pylon and Freeflight (16 min 1 sec)