HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:55 AM
MyFlyDream
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2010
414 Posts
Personally i like plane flying by screen most comfortable, i use a 19" widescreen TV and gives me enough immersion..

But on the other hand, if I fly longrange Quad/Hex FPV i want to have goggles on, this because quad or hex flying is less relaxed, you fly more nearby objects than a plane.. so you want more "detail" to see for orientation.
erazotropa is offline Find More Posts by erazotropa
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:12 AM
I love to be above the clouds
Joined Aug 2011
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_S View Post
What monitor would you guys recommend for sticking into a Pelican 1600 lid?
this is the one I use
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...989&CatId=4420
with this VGA converter http://www.dealextreme.com/p/composi...-220v-ac-28534
or this one http://www.dealextreme.com/p/vtimage...-220v-ac-17894
I have a Pelican 1600 but I had to mod the molding on the screen to fit it flush on the sides of the lid . I popped the screens molding case off to cut it then to mount it to the case.
I screwed the back of the screens case to the Pelican 1600 . then popped the screen back in along with the front of the screens molding. the screen its self fits just flush the the Pelican 1600 lid . it was just the screens molding I had to cut to fit the 24" screen in.
KellyFPVER is offline Find More Posts by KellyFPVER
Last edited by KellyFPVER; Mar 10, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:15 PM
Indianapolis, In
Joined Oct 2004
141 Posts
Updated Ground Station

A couple updated pics of my gs. Added a dvr and antenna tracker. More pics under my profile.

Thanks,
Joe
jcoahran is offline Find More Posts by jcoahran
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right.....
Pleasanton, Ca
Joined Feb 2007
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoahran View Post
A couple updated pics of my gs. Added a dvr and antenna tracker. More pics under my profile.

Thanks,
Joe
Very Nice.
Teamwoody is offline Find More Posts by Teamwoody
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
Personally the only monitor option I think would be immmersive enough would be a van with a 20-30inch tv. All these case options just dont look immersive enough and I'm also sceptical with a lot of these that dont have sun shades. Goggles may be goofy looking but they provide me with a 100% immersion. Ofcourse this has disadvantages too like being unable to tell if someone is creeping up on you to steal your gear.
I've seen some folks put huge, like 42 inch, LCD in the back of a hatchback for flying, so the vehicle acts like a huge sunshade. I also like the idea of flying from within a vehicle - more incognito.

Ultimately, I would like to see someone implement a daylight-readable display into a ground station. I realize these cost ~ 4 figures, but this sport is relatively cheap anyways.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
Nederland, LI, Herkenbosch
Joined Jul 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFPVER View Post
this is the one I use
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...989&CatId=4420
with this VGA converter http://www.dealextreme.com/p/composi...-220v-ac-28534
or this one http://www.dealextreme.com/p/vtimage...-220v-ac-17894
I have a Pelican 1600 but I had to mod the molding on the screen to fit it flush on the sides of the lid . I popped the screens molding case off to cut it then to mount it to the case.
I screwed the back of the screens case to the Pelican 1600 . then popped the screen back in along with the front of the screens molding. the screen its self fits just flush the the Pelican 1600 lid . it was just the screens molding I had to cut to fit the 24" screen in.
Could you confirm that the VGA converter you use does not blue screen? I am wanting to build something similar, I already have a 15 inch pc screen which only has a VGA input.

Alex
Aliander is offline Find More Posts by Aliander
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:40 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoahran View Post

Thanks,
Joe
Joe, thanks for keeping up on your blog. You have a very nice GS set up and some awsome flying rigs! I see tons of great ideas in here and not a lot of details on the gear and set ups. I get the most help from those keeping detailed info on their builds in their blogs. Thank you

JJ
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
Indianapolis, In
Joined Oct 2004
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
Joe, thanks for keeping up on your blog. You have a very nice GS set up and some awsome flying rigs! I see tons of great ideas in here and not a lot of details on the gear and set ups. I get the most help from those keeping detailed info on their builds in their blogs. Thank you

JJ
Thanks and you guys are very welcome. I also get most of my ideas from others sharing their solutions.

Thanks,
Joe
jcoahran is offline Find More Posts by jcoahran
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:09 AM
MyFlyDream
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2010
414 Posts
This is my ground station:

2x of our MyFlyDream trackers, with 2.4ghz video downlink.
On both are 5.8ghz video relay VTX's each on other channel.
(1 tracker for backup)

My Ground station case
* 19" Led TV than only draws 600mA..
* 5.8ghz Receiver.
* AC Ryan Playon DVR, video RX goes through DVR to eliminate BlueScreen.
* Lipo 3S 2P 10000mAh (good for 4 hours of flying)
* 5A 12V PSU for running on generator.. and if generator falls out, Lipo wil kick in flawlesly.
* RC TX is a Rmilec system, antenna is on my car with magnet mount Nagoya NA-770R with extremely good results.. (used it for my HAM radios too)

Also Backup video goggles.. Foxtech AIO with www.fpv-plastics.com mask.

erazotropa is offline Find More Posts by erazotropa
Last edited by erazotropa; Mar 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:27 AM
I love to be above the clouds
Joined Aug 2011
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliander View Post
Could you confirm that the VGA converter you use does not blue screen? I am wanting to build something similar, I already have a 15 inch pc screen which only has a VGA input.

Alex
they both have a blue screen but it takes alot to make them go blue and by that time you cant see any thing any way.

I am working with a manufacture to bring us all a VGA converter that has no blue screen at all and will show snow even. I told them I have ten's of thousands of friends that want one with out the blue screen. they are working on it right now in fact!
KellyFPVER is offline Find More Posts by KellyFPVER
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
91 Posts
That would be very very nice..

However if you would put an OSD or something that generates a local sync pulse between the receiver and the screen (or converter in this case) the blue screen will disappear.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea if they made receivers who did this...

Alex
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
That would be very very nice..

However if you would put an OSD or something that generates a local sync pulse between the receiver and the screen (or converter in this case) the blue screen will disappear.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea if they made receivers who did this...

Alex
That is the ticket, shouldn't need a seperate device, the vRX should provide a sync signal.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
penichard78
france near paris
Joined Jun 2010
192 Posts
Quote:

Alex
hi aliander
did you "mods" your 15 inch pc screen with this sort of card (http://www.njytouch.com/lcdcontroller.htm) or is it just a notebook
thanks
penichard78 is offline Find More Posts by penichard78
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penichard78 View Post
hi aliander
did you "mods" your 15 inch pc screen with this sort of card (http://www.njytouch.com/lcdcontroller.htm) or is it just a notebook
thanks
Negative, I don't. Currently I am using my fathers work laptop, but he isn't really fond of that. I am planning to use a 15 inch computer monitor to view the video. This monitor only has a VGA input so I need the VGA converter to create a VGA signal out of the composite that comes from the receiver. No extra modding is required.

Alex
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
penichard78
france near paris
Joined Jun 2010
192 Posts
thanks for answer
penichard78 is offline Find More Posts by penichard78