SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2015, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by kimboviper
Joined Aug 2015
4 Posts
Discussion
Charging 4 3cell Zippy lifepo4's all together at once without a Paraboard

Noob to RC stuff so please bear with me.

I have four 3cell Zippy lifepo4's wired in series with EC5 connectors to make a 12cell 4200mah pack. I would like to just charge them all together with one connector from my series adapter that I made as just a regular charge and not a balance charge. I would like to do it without a Paraboard.

I know the Thunder 1220 is capable of charging 12S but is this a good idea or not?

The reason I ask this because I have these packs on a Electric Longboard and would rather not open the enclosure, disconnect and hookup all 4 packs to a Paraboard in order to recharge the packs. Id rather just connect one EC5 connector to my charger and let it fill up all 4 packs at once. I could balance charge the packs once in a while but not often....

TIA
kimboviper is offline Find More Posts by kimboviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2015, 02:52 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,905 Posts
Welcome to the forum

As you've realised, if you do what you're suggesting you won't be balancing the cells during charge. Depending on how good quality the packs are, that may not be a big deal, but personally I prefer to balance charge every time.

It's not recommended to leave the batteries in the model while charging, because you'll have a problem getting to them if they start to swell, or worse, during charging. Also, you must always disconnect the batteries from the ESC after you've finished your flight, otherwise the batteries will run down to zero volts, and be destroyed, due to the small current the ESC draws while it's not in use.

Lastly, rather than wait for the batteries to charge before you can have another flight, it's much simpler to swap the batteries for a fresh pack and then go fly again. So I would advise that you should ensure that battery access is easy, and then take them out for charging.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Aug 13, 2015, 03:45 AM
Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
Welcome to the forum

As you've realised, if you do what you're suggesting you won't be balancing the cells during charge. Depending on how good quality the packs are, that may not be a big deal, but personally I prefer to balance charge every time.

It's not recommended to leave the batteries in the model while charging, because you'll have a problem getting to them if they start to swell, or worse, during charging. Also, you must always disconnect the batteries from the ESC after you've finished your flight, otherwise the batteries will run down to zero volts, and be destroyed, due to the small current the ESC draws while it's not in use.

Lastly, rather than wait for the batteries to charge before you can have another flight, it's much simpler to swap the batteries for a fresh pack and then go fly again. So I would advise that you should ensure that battery access is easy, and then take them out for charging.
Perfect advice. - I would take it!

Wayne
Wayne Giles is online now Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Aug 13, 2015, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,228 Posts
I think you guys missed the "Electric longboard" part of his question.

Kim, any reason you would not balance charge? The charger you referenced is capable of balancing 12S.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:25 PM
Joined Aug 2015
4 Posts
Yes this is on a Electric Longboard

Would I be able to balance them if I just had access to all 4 balance leads and the one EC5 connection?
Last edited by kimboviper; Aug 13, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:34 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimboviper View Post
Yes this is on a Electric Longboard

Would I be able to balance them if I just had access to all 4 balance leads and the one EC5 connection?
Yes. You would have to make two balance leads. One would be to balance cells 1 - 6 and the other for cells 7 - 12.

Glen
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:48 PM
Joined Aug 2015
4 Posts
I could use 2 of these...

http://www.3drcparts.com/jst-xh-6s-t...dapter-charge/

and charge as 12S
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:56 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimboviper View Post
I could use 2 of these...

http://www.3drcparts.com/jst-xh-6s-t...dapter-charge/

and charge as 12S
Yes.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
I think you guys missed the "Electric longboard" part of his question. ...
I just thought that "longboard" was the name of one of the many plane models I've never heard of

But my comments about charging in-situ are, I believe, still relevant.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn