New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Econoline
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Nov 2007
233 Posts
Question
what adhesive for EPP to CF?

I'm pretty new to foam construction. I want to lay a 5mm x 1m carbon fiber tube into an EPP wing for strength. Notching the EPP is no problem with a Dremel router, but I'm unsure what glue to use so I have enough working time to get the tube in place and weights put on the wing, probably need 2 minutes.

I have Foam-Tac, 5 & 30 minute epoxy, hot glue, Goop, CA, etc. I only get one shot at this, so appreciate any advice. Tnx.
Econoline is offline Find More Posts by Econoline
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by mmattock
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
437 Posts
I use Gorilla Glue White for that. Without adding any moisture it will foam completely through a piece of 9mm EPP. I put wax paper under the joint and over top of the open side of the groove with weights on top to stop the foaming action from coming up out into free space. To wet the carbon rod out I put some glue onto a square of wax paper, then fold it in half across the glue puddle and slide the rod through the fold in the paper. Some guys add a bit of moisture to the glue to get it foaming before wetting the rod but it foams so much for me without adding moisture (and I live in a near-desert area) that I have never thought I needed more foaming action.

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
Old Jul 11, 2015, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by tonystro
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
635 Posts
Based on the glues you mention having on hand, I would use the 30-min epoxy and take a beverage break after I had the weights in place.

TonyS
tonystro is online now Find More Posts by tonystro
Old Jul 11, 2015, 06:24 PM
Joined Nov 2007
233 Posts
Thanks Mark & Tony.

I didn't consider the Gorilla Glue White, but I'll do a sample run with that and 30m epoxy. And thanks again for the tips!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,922 Posts
If you use the GG White you'll have to be 100% certain that no UV light ever gets to it. Otherwise its life is measured in a few hours, it loses all its flexibility, becomes very brittle and will actually turn to powder if you touch it. At that point it is worse than useless as a glue or a filler. It might live if you cover your wing with UV protected laminate, but I would never take that chance.

This doesn't apply if you only fly your wing indoors. Otherwise beware of Gorilla Glue White. You're better off with hot glue or epoxy.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2007
233 Posts
Thanks RRobbins, I didn't know that about GG White. This joint will get lots of UV, so looks like 30 minute epoxy is the way to go, setup time on hot glue is too short to finish a 1m spar.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by yanrc
Joined Sep 2014
57 Posts
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.T7TX...=160&W=160&P=0
yanrc is online now Find More Posts by yanrc
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by yanrc
Joined Sep 2014
57 Posts
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.ql6u...=160&W=160&P=0
yanrc is online now Find More Posts by yanrc
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by Granted
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,769 Posts
Regular thin CA. Assemble the wing with the spar and weight/pin it in place, when everything is to your satisfaction add glue.
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by kcolraw
Kcolraw
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Feb 2015
483 Posts
Rough up the carbon fiber with fine grit sand paper to a allow for better bonding.
kcolraw is online now Find More Posts by kcolraw
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:31 PM
Joined Nov 2007
233 Posts
Thanks guys, I got it done. I routed a slot in the wing at the cg with a Dremel and a guide. The wing had a slight bow in it so I needed some working time and went with 30 minute epoxy. Coated one side of the 5mm tube and layed it into the slot. Used scuba weights and wax paper to hold it straight on the floor until set. Came out perfectly, straight and strong. I'll try other adhesives next time.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,922 Posts
For that purpose I like the epoxy and hot glue a lot better than CA glue except for the Bob Smith Insta-flex rubberized CA, because regular CA is not flexible at all. The strength of your spar comes because it is flexible. Also I've used Bob Smith Industries Foam-Cure which is specifically meant for EPP foam and is just amazing.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jul 24, 2015, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
631 Posts
use the Foam-Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
I'm pretty new to foam construction. I want to lay a 5mm x 1m carbon fiber tube into an EPP wing for strength. Notching the EPP is no problem with a Dremel router, but I'm unsure what glue to use so I have enough working time to get the tube in place and weights put on the wing, probably need 2 minutes.

I have Foam-Tac, 5 & 30 minute epoxy, hot glue, Goop, CA, etc. I only get one shot at this, so appreciate any advice. Tnx.
Hi Buddy,
use the Foam-Tac just run a bead in the channel push the Carbon in a and remove it make sure its wet with Foam-Tac, wait 30 seconds and then just push it back in place, this gives excellent bond very strong and it will keep some flex when dorked, and best of all it will dry to less than 1/3rd its original weight so your adding lightness. works great try it with a scrap part if you have extra. Oh BTW no need to rough up the carbon before using. generally speaking scratching or scoring carbon not always a good idea.

Eric G
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Last edited by Eric Giorgiantonio; Jul 24, 2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: text