HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:38 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Build Log
Another Peter Rake Albatross DII

This is the 1/8 laser-cut kit. I'm assembling it for a clubmate. He bought the model not long after it came out but never got the guts to start it. I got tired of him pulling out the plans almost every time I met him at the LHS so at the end of last flying season, I said, if you cover it (I hate covering), I'll put it together for you. So here we are.

I didn't plan on making a build log (putting the thing together is long enough without taking extensive pictures), but since I'm showing off the progress to the owner on my RCG blog, I thought I'd drop a link here.

If you've followed the previous build threads about this model, there won't be many surprises. Pretty much going by the plans.
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:31 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
7,021 Posts
Good to see another DII V-man. I did Peter's original prototype and it was probably the most challenging model I'd built up til then
Is your friend going to varnish the sheet covering or paint and simulate the wood?

Good luck with the build - Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's Coming up....
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:19 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
I did Peter's original prototype and it was probably the most challenging model I'd built up til then
You have my thanks, actually. I've been referring to your build log extensively and it's making my work a lot easier.

Quote:
Is your friend going to varnish the sheet covering or paint and simulate the wood?
Going with varnish. I have two test chits drying right now, one with a polyurethane and one with a water-based polycrylic. The former gives a nicer sheen and a deeper color, though the latter is nice too. Will depend on the color scheme selected (research is ongoing).

I'm doing the whole plane, minus the covering. Even then it's only because I hate doing it, not because I can't.

Quote:
Good luck with the build
Thanks! It's given me a taste of WW1, I'm tempted to get an Allies plane for myself to fly against the Albatross. Too bad Peter never did a Bristol Fighter in 1/8, it's my favorite (the 38" kit is too small, the 67" is too big). Got my eye on the FE-8 right now, maybe for next winter...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:58 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Got started on the wings. Pictures and comments are posted on my RCG blog.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:55 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Assembling and sanding the upper wing. Is it supposed to be fragile? I broke a couple of ribs while sanding. Highly tempted to add tiny gussets everywhere...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:50 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,088 Posts
Some people say that if you don't break at least a rib and stringer you haven't sanded it well enough.

I frequently put small gussets where ribs meet the LE, and at the TE if it isn't notched.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:44 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Upper wing is 99% complete, just need to finish aileron linkages.

Couldn't resist the temptation to pile everything up together to see how it looks. Current weight of parts in the picture is 14.5oz, with some sanding and carving to do on the forward section.

In other news, the future owner has roped another LHS visitor into making a dummy scale engine for the plane, and one of his coworkers is carving a 1/8 German pilot. It's really turning into a group project!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:27 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Spent the afternoon sanding the lower wings and struts of the Albatross (hardwood is tough!). Still a ton of stuff to do, though thankfully I'm not alone (I just received the dummy engine for fitting in the forward hatch).

Should fly this summer, will look awesome!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:26 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Not much time spent in the workshop, hopefully this will change as Spring moves in. Got my new soldering station, should be able to assemble the LG and CS soon.

Did manage to get the wheels started. Also made a built-up belly access hatch frame, that I will skin with the rest of the fuselage.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:02 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Project is not dead, it's just that with the flying season upon us I have a ton of planes occupying the board for last-minute repairs or maintenance!

I made a quick test frame for the WorldTex covering we plan on using (see attached). We want to see how it will look painted up. Will give it a go as soon as I can find a suitable iron...
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:45 AM
long island,new york
Joined Jul 2009
317 Posts
you are a good friend building a plane like that for him. i built peter rake's dlll and know it's not easy. i used polycrylic varnish. i also mixed a water based stain to add a deeper color and bring out the grain a bit. i tried oil stain but after drying the ca didn't bond as well as with the water based stuff.
waynek is offline Find More Posts by waynek
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynek View Post
you are a good friend building a plane like that for him.
Oh, I know.

But I get a lot back too. It allowed me to try a lot of new things.
- First laser-cut kit
- First biplane
- First soldered landing gear

and it's going to look great at the field!

Quote:
i built peter rake's dlll and know it's not easy.
I find it not that bad, but then I did build a lot of free flight balsa planes when I was younger. It's a lot of work, though -- I estimate I'm about 50% done at best.

Quote:
i used polycrylic varnish. i also mixed a water based stain to add a deeper color and bring out the grain a bit. i tried oil stain but after drying the ca didn't bond as well as with the water based stuff.
I did some tests on scrap and I'm going to use the original PolyUrethane varnish. It gives the nicest color on the wood that I've used.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:55 PM
long island,new york
Joined Jul 2009
317 Posts
i built a 2 balsa planes as a kid. since then i've built a sig kadet and the slow stick in this thread. every other plane i ever built was plastic for display or micro rc foamies. i've even built the same albatros in 1/72 scale. i'll post a pic or 2 in a couple of days. if you use only the varnish then the polyurethane is better for color. i stained it because i wanted a little more of a yellow gold wood finish.
waynek is offline Find More Posts by waynek
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:05 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
Flying (and the associated repairs and maintenance) have taken up most of my hobby time, but I pulled out the Albatross and started fiddling with the landing gear.

The pictures show the plane just taped together. I will need to adjust the wire wraps before I do the final soldering, it's not perfectly in alignment yet.
Old Jan 01, 2014, 09:50 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,730 Posts
New year, old project. Due to various other commitments and also a build-up of frustrations with the plane, I had put the Albatross away for the last few months. But I pulled it out tonight, took a deep breath, and finally got the wires correctly aligned and wrapped for the landing gear.

Success! The soldering went well. I sanded and cleaned each wire beforehand, made sure the wrappings were tight, used flux, and washed away the remaining flux afterward. Left side ended up about 1mm higher than the right one, but I'm pretty sure it won't be too noticeable once the plane is at the field (I had to measure with a level to see it). I plan on putting shrinkwrap tubing around the wrapping for a neater final appearance.

Next, soldering the cabane struts. Then skinning the top and bottom of the fuse.