SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2014, 01:38 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,805 Posts
USCGC McClane

The USCGC McClane was a Prohibition era Coast Guard patrol vessel created to stem rum running. The Active Class was one of the most successful that the CG developed. The ship has very nice lines and is reminiscent of the yachts of the day.

This would make a excellent RC model project. At 125 feet you could pick a scale from 1/4" to 1/2". The boat is twin screw so it would handle well. She has pleasing lines which would appeal to many.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2014, 11:30 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,805 Posts
Day 3 - National Museum of the Great Lakes, Toledo Ohio

Friday afternoon we drove from Muskegon to Toledo. Saturday morning we made our way over to the new museum operated by the Great Lakes Historical Society. I visited their old facility in Vermilion several years ago and it was a first class museum. This gave me high expectations and they didn't disappoint. The array of exhibits touches on all facets of Great Lakes history.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 12:13 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,805 Posts
Col. James M. Schoonmaker

A bonus to the new museum is the laker Col. James M. Schoonmaker. For me as a Great Lakes history buff it was a real treat to walk the deck of the Schoonmaker, as she is 102 years old and was present during two of the greatest storms to hit the Lakes, in 1913 and 1940. I was so pleased with the visit to NMGL I took out a membership.

The tour of the ship is self guided with arrow painted on the deck. There are docents on board to answer questions. I didn't see one when I was wondering about the double wheels in the pilothouse so I couldn't ask. The information placard explained the ship was fitted with a redundant steering gear system.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 07:57 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,239 Posts
Wow! What a great tour.
Would love to get out there and check these vessel out.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:07 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,420 Posts
I like that little work boat; it almost looks to me like they "weathered"it on purpose .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:58 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2006
260 Posts
Nice

Great pic's Steve and Bill. Thanks for sharing.looks like a great trip!

Jim
jshander is offline Find More Posts by jshander