HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:20 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,038 Posts
Compared to the price of say an OS 4 stroke it's not really that much more expensive... Compared to other Saitos it is a bit much , but considering how cheap it is to operate and the ease of operating a gas engine, I can see that it will still be an attractive option.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:27 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,404 Posts
And of course there is at least $40 worth of "fiddle factor".
Don't we love to play with new toys?
Never had such a small gasser before, my last was a Quadra 50 on a 1/3 scale Pup. Now there's a combo that will teach you to fly on the wing.
taildragger1589 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2014, 03:26 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
but considering how cheap it is to operate and the ease of operating a gas engine, I can see that it will still be an attractive option.
I had no idea!
I installed a 4 oz tank since that is the biggest that will fit in the Taube and hoped I'd get 10 or 12 minutes of flying time out of it. But we fill it once and run the engine 4 or 5 times at 10 minutes a run! (we're still breaking it in)

as for fuel costs, this engine should pay for it's self after a good long flying season. (12 gallons)

Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:48 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowfly View Post
Yea,but the DLE is a 2 stroke. I'll bet that 4 stroke gas Saito sounds pretty cool in the air. But I don't think either one is suited for a .40 size plane.

OS .46AX 17.1 OZ
Saito 25.4 OZ
DLE 20 28.9 OZ
Evolution 10 CC 22 OZ http://www.advantagehobby.com/228358/EVOE10GX/?pcat=384 under 200bucks.
I think the Evolution is the only one I would try on a .40 size plane.

But as EJ said there ARE planes that "need" that Saito.
How many .40 size airframes end up W/lead in the nose anyway? Besides, the reduced fuel load required will make up the added weight of the engine.

The only .40 size aircraft I ever owned ended up W/a Saito FA91 on the nose.

I took the assembled airframe to the LHS & placed engines in the nose to check CG. The FA91 balanced the plane perfectly.

If I have to add weight to the nose of the airplane it will be reciprocating mass, not lead.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:26 AM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post
I took the assembled airframe to the LHS & placed engines in the nose to check CG. The FA91 balanced the plane perfectly.

If I have to add weight to the nose of the airplane it will be reciprocating mass, not lead.
And let us not forget the added flexibility.
you can take it out and put it in a plane designed for a bigger engine later on.

My Smith miniplane (sig for .40) had an OS 90FS and flew for years (had to move the firewall back 2 3/4"), the engine wound up in a Topflight P40 with rotating retracts. (Heavy in 1990) designed for a .60. Then in a 56" span SE5a.

Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:41 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589 View Post
And let us not forget the added flexibility.
you can take it out and put it in a plane designed for a bigger engine later on.
And you can always throttle back.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:18 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,404 Posts
Quote:
25.4 OZ An OS .46 AX and muffler weighs 17.
Thats a half pound difference.
Forgive me for replying to an older post, but nobody's posting.
(must be the good flying weather)
When I put the FG11 on the Taube, the flying weight stayed within two to four ounces of when she used an OS 40 FS because I was able to remove a large chunk of lead (~4 oz. didn't have a nice scale back then) from the firewall and I used a life battery for the ignition and rx.

Quote:
It says .40 to .60 size planes. At that weight I can't think of a .40 size plane to put one on.
You have to go with the older designs like the Sig Smith miniplane, the Dreamer, the Super Sportster, the Flying Quaker and most of the old timers of 80 inches would all do well, The Sig cub is a little weak but the Goldberg Cub would be good. There's a good chance mine might end up on one of these when the Taube gives out.

Quote:
But they are no doubt making progress.
Between electric and gas, I wonder where glow will be 10 years from now.
If fuel gets real steep and petrol power discovers a 1 oz ignition system, you might be buying glow plugs from ebay like we used to buy spark plugs for the Bantams.

Anyway, if you want to see a 63 inch Taube that's just under 6 lbs. fly with the FG11 (and drop whistling bombs) ...
Click here and go to the bottom of the page.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2045921&page=7
RCG Plus Member