HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:53 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
We all know that the farther the weight is from the middle the more force it actually acts on it. Looks to me as if the extra weight of Jane 3/4 out on the wing caused it to roll left and once the plane was in a knife edge, lift was lost and down it went.
Most of us also already know this wasn't their first time. There is nothing physically wrong with that stunt.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:56 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Most of us also already know this wasn't their first time. There is nothing physically wrong with that stunt.
Oh...I know that...just trying to think of possibilities...

From looking at this pix:
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ca...gWalkCrash.jpg

it looks like he was trying to aileron right...or flip the plane around. Am I seeing/interpreting it right?
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:06 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Judging from the elevator deflection, I'd say the pilot was unconscious. The elevator was deflected upward while the plane was inverted, which would, and did, cause the plane to dive into the ground.

RIP!!!
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:12 PM
Crash Test Dummy
United States, ME, Mapleton
Joined May 2005
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Oh...I know that...just trying to think of possibilities...

From looking at this pix:
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ca...gWalkCrash.jpg

it looks like he was trying to aileron right...or flip the plane around. Am I seeing/interpreting it right?
Ugh, that's a sickening pic...she's just inches from impact. But yes, it does look like he was trying to aileron right. Doesn't look like full aileron, but I don't know how much throw that plane has.
e2346437 is offline Find More Posts by e2346437
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:00 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Wow, that's a really clear picture. Control surface positions don't look right there.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:51 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,371 Posts
The one pic looks like the elvator halves are not equal.
Could be illusion or linkage issue?
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,199 Posts
Pilot was Charlie Schwenker, noted stunt pilot with much experience. Jane Wicker was ex-wife of stunt pilot Kirk Wicker who is well known on the east coast for his J-3 Cub comedy act and also a noted stunt pilot and wing walker. My guess is a sudden loss of power but it's only a guess. Dangerous business. My pet theory is that aerobatics etc., should be performed at least two mistakes higher. Pilots must not perform if not feeing well despite "the show must go on".

I don't think that it is necessary to risk human life to that extent just to thrill average airshow goers. Well-executed aerobatics are beautiful to watch if you love aviation and can appreciate expertise required. I have been going to airshows since the 50's and know that at best, low level aerobatics are a hazardous occupation and "daredevils" don't ususally get to retire.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jun 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:22 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,307 Posts
I saw Leo Loudenslager's routine in Dayton in the late 80's. I was right up against the fence. Altitude-wise, Leo left no margin of safety. It was an exciting performance though. Afterwards, he walked down the flight line signing autographs. I still have the autograph somewhere.

Leo ended up dying in a motorcycle accident years later.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:20 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I don't think that it is necessary to risk human life to that extent just to thrill average airshow goers. Well-executed aerobatics are beautiful to watch if you love aviation and can appreciate expertise required. I have been going to airshows since the 50's and know that at best, low level aerobatics are a hazardous occupation and "daredevils" don't ususally get to retire.
There are a whole lot more regualr aerobatic planes that go in than planes with wingwalkers. Wingwalking is sure a whole lot easier on the plane, since if you pull too many G's, you are going to fling them off the wing, which is bad for business. Add to that, the pilot is being a lot more carefull simply becuase he DOES have to worry about the person on the wing.....

In the last 35 years, only 4 wingwalkers have been killed while wingwalking.... and three of those were in the last 3 years, so overall, its got a great safety record.... in fact many more airshow SPECTATORS have been killed than wingwalkers.... So when you think about it, the safest place to be at an airshow is on the wing of an airplane.... or, perhaps, piloting that plane....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 09, 2013, 06:23 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,106 Posts
That is not something she should have been doing as a mother of two.

RIP both of them
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden