HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:37 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Discussion
Mylar and Carbon source

I know this has been asked a thousand times but I need to find a sorce in the US for mylar in various thicknesses. Also I need to be able to buy by the yard because I dont need that much.
Thanks
Bill
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Jul 2009
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
I know this has been asked a thousand times but I need to find a sorce in the US for mylar in various thicknesses. Also I need to be able to buy by the yard because I dont need that much.
Thanks
Bill
ACP Composites for a good supply of all composites, fabric, laminated etc., and also bagging and foam cutting systems and supplies. Reasonable prices, and good selection. CST composites also has good stuff.
flyingfever is offline Find More Posts by flyingfever
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:10 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
The thinner mylars usually result in wavy surface, fabric print-thru, and even breather print-thru. I found the ACP mylar to work best.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:50 PM
Joined May 2010
2 Posts
APC sells 0.014 only. I assume it is thickness proven to be the best for F3K wings (vacuum bagged). Can someone confirm that,please? I start to collect information before bying stuff for vacuum bagging so I would like to be sure I am not buying wrong thickness.
walter2 is offline Find More Posts by walter2
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:36 PM
Spy's sappin' my thermal!
Seattle, WA
Joined May 2009
137 Posts
.014" mylar is what most people use for bagging. One caveat: you need to have a vacuum pump capable of pulling a decent vacuum, around 18" Hg or more, with .014" mylar. The converted aquarium pumps that some people use to start out may not pull enough to get the mylar to conform around the leading edge. If you're using a relatively weak vacuum pump, consider .010 mylars, or plan to spend some time thinning the mylar around the leading edge to make it more flexible.
Chris Sutton is offline Find More Posts by Chris Sutton
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:15 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
I was planing on using a hand pump to bag my wings. Is 14 mil going to be to thick for this to work? I've heard of people using acetate inplace of mylar. Any thoughts on that?
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:08 PM
Spy's sappin' my thermal!
Seattle, WA
Joined May 2009
137 Posts
Hand vacuum pumps can typically pull up to about 25" Hg (I'd recommend checking yours to be sure), which is fine for .014" mylar. As long as you can minimize leaks and keep the vacuum topped up while it cures, you shouldn't run into problems having the mylars conform well.
Chris Sutton is offline Find More Posts by Chris Sutton
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:24 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
The best way to thin the LE of the Mylar is to use a properly sharpened Cabinet scraper.

I pull 15" Hg with .014" Mylars all the time and it works fine. Thinner Mylars make a warbly looking surface.

The thing about a hand pump is your bag must be absolutely leak free....unless you want to stand there and pump the whole time while the resin cures.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks