HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
Thanks Rick. The dihedral braces and templates were just what I needed.

Chris
cswee is offline Find More Posts by cswee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
A little bit more construction to do then final sanding. Hopefully should start covering next week end.
Chris
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
Ready for test flight.
With two coats of dope and balanced per plan it weighs 69gms or 2.4 oz in American.
Had fun building, looking forward to flying it. Today it is too windy so maybe next week.

Chris
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
looks nice Chris- well done.
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Very nice indeed Chris, I've updated post 1 of the build off thread with your finished date. Good luck with the test flights.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:23 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,688 Posts
Nice and classic!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
Thanks for the comments but I need a little more practice with covering.
I enjoyed the build so much I started another kit build - the Keil Kraft Achilles.

Chris
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswee View Post
I enjoyed the build so much I started another kit build - the Keil Kraft Achilles......
Aha! A mini Ajax..................!!! Now you're talking
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
It has been a long time since I have built a rubber powered model so I am looking forward to this one. The Achilles seemed like a nice one, not too big but big enough to fly well.

Chris
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
Well the Soarer Baby has flown and lived to fly again. The plan CG is too far forward so I can remove some nose weight, at the field I had to add quite a bit of tail weight.
For launching I used the mini high start that comes with the Eflite mini Ask-21.
The two pictures attached show me ready to launch and with the glider in flight.
Had fun building and flying the Soarer Baby.

Chris
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:51 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Looks good in the air Chris. The KK Soarer series (Baby, Minor, Major) were never renowned as the greatest performers, and I suspect that the plan CG was set on the "safe side" as these models were often built by novices. It will be interesting to see if experienced trimming can get it to fly better with a less conservative CG. I've noted that it has flown on the build off thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
..... The KK Soarer series (Baby, Minor, Major) were never renowned as the greatest performers, and I suspect that the plan CG was set on the "safe side" as these models were often built by novices.
I think that is one of the points that people often forget when they are talking about mass produced kits - especially the rubber powered or glider types. Mostly they were bought for or by schoolboys who would build them with little equipment and often even less skill. Believe me, I was one of them!!! (see my blog). For repeated sales, the lad (for it would have been predominantly males) had to at least end up with something he could proudly show his parents and friends. The quality of the flight achieved was very much of secondary importance to the fact that it actually flew. Something that simply flew would be enough to encourage the chap to continue in the hobby and purchase another kit.

Conversely, a kit with lightweight contest-grade balsa and sophisticated fittings and structure - apart from being more expensive - would have been hopeless to the average hamfisted twelve/thirteen year old feeling his way. He possibly would never complete it, and if he did, the flying performance may well be worse than in the first case.

I believe that this is another (often overlooked) reason for the hard and heavy balsa found in many kits.

As for the Soarer Baby, I always wanted one as a lad - and in fact I still like it. It has been added to the list!!!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
I agree about sturdier kits back then. I think that is something missing from the current designs, from the ones I have seen and built they are definitely too fragile for beginners today. Maybe there is room in the market for something similar to these old designs? In fact are there any new free flight sport designs?
The Soarer Baby flew so the design obviously worked.

Chris
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:37 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,602 Posts
I quite agree with the Colonel. Back in the late '40's/early 50's I was quite happy to drag a glider into the air and watch it come down .. and repeat... and repeat. The fact that my Soarer, and others, came down quite fast was of no consequence; it flew, Mission accomplished.

Performance was not an issue; i didn't expect more than what I had. The fact that newer models gradually flew better over time was something that was accepted without any real thought as to why.

The 'Senator' is a prime example of a simple tough airplane that was easily trimmed and flew. No matter how poorly built it would fly to some extent, enough to encourage the novice. Nobody - possibly even the designer - thought it could be flown to the limits of today; back then it simply did its job.

I still remember the exultation of my first 60 second flight. A whole minute !! Now I expect far more as a matter of course ... thanks to the foresight of those who produced models such as the Baby for we novices to build and ultimately move up from.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:51 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Absolutely right Jim. My first successful model following miserable attempts with a couple of rubber jobs was a KK Invader glider, another model of substantial construction and limited performance. I built it during the first week of the long summer holiday and spent as much as possible of every suitable day during the next five weeks (it is probably the result of rose tinted hindsight, but almost every day seemed to be suitable!) towing it up on the adjacent field on 150 feet of thread, my long suffering dear mother acting as launcher (she became very good!). As you say, every flight was probably between 30 seconds and a minute, but they were all magic to me. Then, just a few days before the end of the holidays one flight.....didn't come down! In disbelief I followed it for almost five minutes and it landed on the roof of the local farmer's pig sty! That was me hooked for life, although it was about two years before I found another thermal!
RCG Plus Member