HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:10 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Excellent review BF. So in a nutshell a carbon copy of the HB800..?
Thanks. Yes, but with a better layout (especially for left side mounting), and a lot lighter weight, due to the all plastic case.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:16 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Some images from under the hood and one of the tail:

Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,851 Posts
That swash looks quite a bit different from the 450 Pro one. What are the radii for the inner and outer balls?

I like the collar type mainshaft - which makes it easier to shim under the bottom bearing to get the tail drive gear lined up with the auto gear.

Does the auto gear have a metal insert, or are you using the Align one?
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:26 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
That swash looks quite a bit different from the 450 Pro one. What are the radii for the inner and outer balls?
It's the ALZRC SDC one. It only has one set of holes at ~28mm diameter. The swashplate has zero slop and is actually a little stiff (main large bearing), but is starting to free up after 4 flights.

Quote:
I like the collar type mainshaft - which makes it easier to shim under the bottom bearing to get the tail drive gear lined up with the auto gear.
It's the one that came with the Tarot DFC head, but I had to find a collar I had from my 450 V2 days. I couldn't find the one I took off the 450 Sport when I converted it to use the Pro shaft.

Quote:
Does the auto gear have a metal insert, or are you using the Align one?
It's the old Align one. I just don't do up the screw very tight. I bought a few complete Align 450 Pro main gear assemblies (from 450 Pro kits), when they were cheap on eBay. I haven't ever needed to replace an auto gear.

The main gear is a 121T with an 11T pinion and the motor is an ALZRC 3800kv. It performs quite well with this gear setup. It has a very unique sound, I suspect partially due to the formula canopy.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:33 AM
Not da momma!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Did you put the Align tail on that, or is that dual push slider stock for the FAST kit now? I was looking up the kits and saw that there is an upgrade part for the slider, but the kit photos only show the old style slider.
mrmarc is offline Find More Posts by mrmarc
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:41 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
This wasn't an ALZRC kit. I converted a 450 Pro to this heli, using the FAST conversion kit. The tail is a complete vWinRC unit (clone of the Align v2 tail). It's very nicely made and available on eBay for around USD$38.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:45 AM
Not da momma!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
86 Posts
Very nice. Thanks.
mrmarc is offline Find More Posts by mrmarc
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:36 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
It's the ALZRC SDC one. It only has one set of holes at ~28mm diameter. The swashplate has zero slop and is actually a little stiff (main large bearing), but is starting to free up after 4 flights.
Oops, I meant the radius for the inner swash balls, and the radius for the balls on the outer swash. It looks to me like the outer swash balls are closer in than the regular 450 Pro swash, which would make it easier to get larger cyclic pitch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,370 Posts
Kinda ironic that you have that ALZRC 3800Kv motor installed. I was forced yesterday to side line my Turnigy 2218H due to a sheared shaft. Now running a Tarot 3800kv motor that looks very similar.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:42 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,851 Posts
Quote:
Kinda ironic that you have that ALZRC 3800Kv motor installed. I was forced yesterday to side line my Turnigy 2218H due to a sheared shaft. Now running a Tarot 3800kv motor that looks very similar.
Those Typhoon motors seem very prone to breaking at the circlip groove - where the 3mm shaft is reduced by the groove before stepping up to 3.17mm for the pinion. Have you ever found replacement shafts or do you make your own?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:58 AM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:

Yikes I just ordered a turnigy 2218 because of a sheared shaft on a dynum moter. I hope sheared shafts are not the next trend in moters. Ed
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Those Typhoon motors seem very prone to breaking at the circlip groove - where the 3mm shaft is reduced by the groove before stepping up to 3.17mm for the pinion. Have you ever found replacement shafts or do you make your own?
....2Doggs...I was waiting for one of you guys to read my post and give me a solution or source for new shafts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop bender View Post
Yikes I just ordered a turnigy 2218 because of a sheared shaft on a dynum moter. I hope sheared shafts are not the next trend in moters. Ed
Well if it makes you feel better, I have the motor for over a year now and never had this happen however its all in how you crash and I guess how easy your main gear is willing to strip to unload the motor....or how fast you hit throttle cut..
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:51 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,851 Posts
Quote:
....2Doggs...I was waiting for one of you guys to read my post and give me a solution or source for new shafts...
I have a few comments on the 2215 and 2218 Typhoons in my blog. I speculated that it might be feasible to make a quick and dirty shaft from 3mm rod, and use washers as spacers under a 3mm pinion. When the motor runs, I think that the can is being pulled on by the magnets, so I wouldn't be worried about the pinion coming loose and the motor coming apart. Then to make the shaft all you would need to do would be to grind on a couple of flats for the can and pinion grub screws. 3mm ejector pins are super smooth, straight and hard and could be used to make that kind of shaft.

I like the HK re-branded Suppo motors better - they have nice fat 4mm shafts that step down to 3.17mm.

One of my Typhoon shafts actually failed in flight - though it was no doubt weakened in a previous crash.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:00 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:

Well if it makes you feel better, I have the motor for over a year now and never had this happen however its all in how you crash and I guess how easy your main gear is willing to strip to unload the motor....or how fast you hit throttle cut..

I had my dynum for about that long allso. The shaft sheared in flight right at the cerclip grove. Maybe it's caused by metal fatiqe after a period of time. Ed
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,370 Posts
2Doggs...where can we get 3mm ejector pins?. Really would love to salvage this great motor.