HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
You don't owe me !!!! You made my week.

Ron, stuff is shipping every day lately so I am hustling along !! I am getting ready to just figure I sleep next year. I believe that is your wing on the bench that I am about to bag....It could ship tomm. I better check with Santa and make sure which list you are on....

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
254 Posts
Well I got the reply to my email questionnaire from the guys at the maiden - overall very positive. Here is the analysis/collation below. Please note that the Stobel retails at about 700 ($1000+) here in the UK and the blaster is also significantly more expensive than the FF at Paul's posted 5*planes offer price. Read the responses with that in mind:

(edit - forgot to say, these are the options from the guys rather than myself, so pretty darn independent as it was not their cash that was spent )

Performance - Launch
1st Stobel (211, 215, 207 feet)
2nd FF (180, 197, 215 feet)
3rd Topsky (163, 177, 189 feet)
4th Blaster (167, 152, 158 feet)

It should be noted that Mark set up my FF while the others were set up for different chuckers, so this may have had an impact.

Performance - duration in still air
1st Stobel
2nd= FF and Blaster
3rd Topsky

Performance - general impressions
1st Stobel
2nd FF
3rd Topsky
4th Blaster

Practicality as Sportster
1st Blaster
2nd= FF and Topsky
3rd Stobel

It should be noted that 2 people mention breaking down the blaster for transport as very useful feature, which is why it's at #1. 1 person also mentioned his hate of repairing mouldies as a reason not to choose the Blaster or Stobel.

Quality
1st Stobel
2nd Blaster
3rd TopSky
4th FF

I suspect moulding or lack of it had a lot to play here, there was one significant comment from mark:

"Very good wing and fuz quality let down by the tail. There was signs of excess resin in the stab that will add weight and the vertical did not tie the boom to the spar which will cause a structural weakness"

Looks
1st Blaster
2nd Stobel
3rd Topsky
4th FF

Again I reckon moulding played a part here.

Value for Money
1st Topsky
2nd= Blaster and FF
4th Stobel

I then asked 3 questions in my email:
1. Would you recommend the FF to a DLG virgin?
1 * yes - no commend made
1 * Yes - if he had build experience
1 * No - because it would not take the abuse as looks too delicate and support is not in this country. He would recommend Blaster or Topsky

2. Would you recommend the FF as a competition plane?
1 * yes - better than Blaster/Topsky
1 * Yes - if you compete at club level and couldn't afford a Sabotage, Stobel etc.
1 * don't know - not been in a competition yet.

3. What would stop you buying a FF?
2 * not manufactured or supported by a distributer in the UK so lack of easily available parts is an issue
1 * It is not an ARTF

The other option was "it is not a mouldie" - interstingly no one selected this.
quincross is offline Find More Posts by quincross
Last edited by quincross; Nov 19, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,504 Posts
Sounds like Paul has a winner here, can charge 2-3x as much and go molded.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Thank you James for all the effort you put into this project. Sam you are very kind.

I am thrilled with the comments. I am especially thrilled by the launch heights, especially given the weight of James' plane. James and I had discussed the tails and he is getting a new set.

I am thrilled that the little FireFly ran head to head with a plane that retails for three times the cost.

James, make sure I have your home mailing address because you can watch them cry like babies after Christmas. Just a little Thanks for all you have done.

paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
Ken Lilja's Avatar
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
579 Posts
Other than the Top Sky and maybe Long Shot 3 are there any commonly available bagged planes in Europe? We still have a few very good bagged planes available in the states. I feel only flying qualities can and should be compared. I worry that style of construction might be like the Mac / Windows religion war.
Can't build? Suck it up! You will "build" after a crash or two (not meant to be too harsh ).
Things like preinstalled servos are a mixed blessing. Traditionally, my EVO just doesn't get along with JR digital servos. It's not such a problem with it converted to 2.4. If I look at a used plane that comes with JR servos I would have to think very carefully about it.
To my ancient way of looking at it (I helped hold up Moses arms at the Red Sea) DLG's kits today are much more assembled and not built . DLGJunkyard's short kit has to be built.
To quincross and the reviewers: Please don't take offense. I can come across much more blunt than I intend.
I'll shut up now and crawl back under my rock.
Ken L
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
Will fly for food
davidjensen's Avatar
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
James and I had discussed the tails and he is getting a new set.
paul
When can I get a tail set? or a fuse?
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:15 PM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
Thank you James for all the effort you put into this project. Sam you are very kind.

I am thrilled with the comments. I am especially thrilled by the launch heights, especially given the weight of James' plane. James and I had discussed the tails and he is getting a new set.

I am thrilled that the little FireFly ran head to head with a plane that retails for three times the cost.

James, make sure I have your home mailing address because you can watch them cry like babies after Christmas. Just a little Thanks for all you have done.

paul
Paul - a pleasure mate, when you see an artesian craftsman produce something good you can't not. Besides I'm as proud of my FF as you are given the competition.

I should say the FF was flying at 8.5oz for the launch heights....I'll write my own review and explain why, plus Mark has added some review words from his perspective. Bottom line, it flies best all round at this weight having tried light (7.4), mid (8) and heavy (8.5).

As to the tail - personally I didn't really notice and it's not affected the AUW as my tail is further forward and wing further back than the stock design. With a new tail, perhaps I'll get sub 7 oz not that it matters given the best all round weight seems to be 8-8.5oz.

Yeah, many, many thanks Paul and huge congrats on a brilliant design - I'll PM you again with my home address mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lilja View Post
Other than the Top Sky and maybe Long Shot 3 are there any commonly available bagged planes in Europe? We still have a few very good bagged planes available in the states. I feel only flying qualities can and should be compared. I worry that style of construction might be like the Mac / Windows religion war.
Can't build? Suck it up! You will "build" after a crash or two (not meant to be too harsh ).
Things like preinstalled servos are a mixed blessing. Traditionally, my EVO just doesn't get along with JR digital servos. It's not such a problem with it converted to 2.4. If I look at a used plane that comes with JR servos I would have to think very carefully about it.
To my ancient way of looking at it (I helped hold up Moses arms at the Red Sea) DLG's kits today are much more assembled and not built . DLGJunkyard's short kit has to be built.
To quincross and the reviewers: Please don't take offense. I can come across much more blunt than I intend.
I'll shut up now and crawl back under my rock.
Ken L
No offence taken mate, and you're right about mouldies - my views have been posted often enough, there is no discernible difference I can tell in slope performance between mouldy and bagged. The only difference I can see is that mouldies are a nightmare to repair....that's why I don't own any anymore.

As to judging planes by performance alone - horses for courses mate. I'm a builder and most of my fleet is designed, bagged and built by me. I get as much pleasure (if not more) from building as I do from flying. I've got mates though, who have little time on their hands and for them it's all ARTF and about the flying. So they burn money, they have it so good luck to them. Then there's a few for who it's all about the bling rather than the performance. Whatever you say about ARTF (and it's not for me), it has opened up the sport to many more peeps.

Whatever floats your boat really is all I have to say - for me, I love weirdness, so I have the odd scratch design dinosaur/pterosaur, true flying wing, speed canard etc. They perform like cr@p but hey...they look different and cool.

I don't know what the guys doing the review are into - one is clearly into ARTF - but all of them are definitely into their own DLGs as they spent money on them. In that light, Paul should really, really be proud as clearly the FF has changed a few minds on its first outing. A cracking little DLG in every way!
quincross is offline Find More Posts by quincross
Last edited by quincross; Nov 19, 2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Just realised I hot-linked to my own website - way to use bandwidth up! Changed image to attachments.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
David, you need to stay on me like a dog with a bone.... I made enough tails over the weekend that yours are ready to go. I will toss a pod and boom in the box as well.

My hot box has not cooled off since I got back from Atlanta....

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:38 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,239 Posts
Paul, sounds like you've really hit it out of the park with this DLG. I look forward to getting my hands on one.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
SoCal
Joined May 2006
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
I believe that is your wing on the bench that I am about to bag....It could ship tomm. I better check with Santa and make sure which list you are on....

Paul
Paul, if we are gonna check Santa's list... I'm in deep trouble!

Personally, I think Santa and his dang list are highly overrated.

How I am getting all twitchy while I wait by the mailbox.


Ron R.
rrunyan is offline Find More Posts by rrunyan
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Here are a couple of wings just out of the oven, well not just this minute...

The Flo Green is Ron's wing and the pic is horrible. I could not hold it up and get a decent pic. With the sky behind it the green looks really cool. So Ron, don't fly it below you or it will look washed out.

The Orange one is a custom paint job for a local customer who has been patiently waiting for this beauty. Hey Butch give me a call.....


Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrunyan View Post
Paul, if we are gonna check Santa's list... I'm in deep trouble!

Personally, I think Santa and his dang list are highly overrated.



Ron R.
I like his Mercedes car good & bad list!
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
I drive a YUGO so you know which list I'm on.......

We don't watch TV so I will have to search the net for the ad.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
Registered User
United States, MD
Joined Sep 2011
64 Posts
Hi all,

I have a Firefly DLG on the way. It's my first DLG so I was hoping I could run the electronics by you all to make sure everything is okay? I appreciate your input.

Servos (3)
Dymond D47

Rx (Spektrum)
AR6115E
or
AR5255

I have a 6115E but it is "for parkflyers only", while the 5255 is full range and has slightly longer antennas. Which should I go with?

Battery
300mah 2s Eflite

I have this battery also, but I'm not sure if it has enough capacity? I plan on running the 2s straight with no regulator.

Please let me know if I've missed anything, thanks.
RocketDog is offline Find More Posts by RocketDog
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
Thermal Seeker
electrich's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Hi all,

I have a Firefly DLG on the way. It's my first DLG so I was hoping I could run the electronics by you all to make sure everything is okay? I appreciate your input.

Servos (3)
Dymond D47

Rx (Spektrum)
AR6115E
or
AR5255

I have a 6115E but it is "for parkflyers only", while the 5255 is full range and has slightly longer antennas. Which should I go with?

Battery
300mah 2s Eflite

I have this battery also, but I'm not sure if it has enough capacity? I plan on running the 2s straight with no regulator.

Please let me know if I've missed anything, thanks.
I have nearly an identical setup in mine. Make sure you use the carbon friendly 6255 RX. Do not use the 6115, it does not like carbon or high voltage directly plugged in from a lipo. I use d47 power servo, not the speed version and run it all on a 2s 350 mAh lipo. Only needed a 1/4 oz of lead to balance. It's a great plane! Just don't throw it too hard. Use technique- not muscle
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review HD Wing Cam - A 120 light weight 1280x720p cam Dreamcatcher Aerial Photography 11 Oct 17, 2012 06:00 AM
Discussion Lights go dim on yet another Obama energy project P-51C Life, The Universe, and Politics 31 Jul 06, 2012 02:52 PM
Sold Light weight alloy spinners ArtJ Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Apr 13, 2012 08:01 AM
Sold Spinners...light weight alloy ArtJ Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Mar 25, 2012 06:31 PM
Found 30 inch light weight V hull for project LarryFlew Boats (FS/W) 3 Jul 22, 2008 12:25 PM