Joined Apr 2004
599 Posts
Those are some nice shots.

Matt
Propjob81 is offline Find More Posts by Propjob81
Old Jul 21, 2004, 03:24 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
Thanks, I did the best I could with the crappy camera I have. Let me know if there are any more pics needed or?

As you can see Matt, the micro gear is a dream and not reallity yet and both planes have seen better days. Both planes had MANY good flights and the Hellcat was a good flyer for more than 6 months before it got this way and needed a rebuild. The Warhawk went in because of RF noise, anntinna doesn't like carbon fiber rod very much.
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Jul 21, 2004, 06:10 PM
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Apr 2004
128 Posts
Matt Cotten,

On the P-40, did you replace all the 1/16th in. stringers with carbon fiber rods?
Does this lighten the structure at all?

Thanks,
Chap
Chap is offline Find More Posts by Chap
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:37 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap
Matt Cotten,

On the P-40, did you replace all the 1/16th in. stringers with carbon fiber rods?
Does this lighten the structure at all?

Thanks,
Chap
Yes I did, they are .030" CF rod, lightened the structure(not much but did) and it would be toast from that nose in if it were all balsa spars. The carbon fiber makes radio noise happen so not the best idea.
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:56 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Finally got around to finishing my Guillows Hellcat. Homemade CDrom motor pulling 5amps, 340 Kokams, CC 10 controller, GWS pico receiver, 2 blue arrow servos 4.3gm. Total AUW is 3.7oz. Next build will be lighter. Can't wait to maiden her, just need to wait for a nice calm day. Going to paint her later, since I would like to see how she flies before going through the effort. Doculam covering is a great material to work with, going to use this method when I can.

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; Apr 25, 2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 03:10 PM
Joined Apr 2004
599 Posts
What is the area of your wing? Because if that is a 16" wing, the weight is a bit much. If your model is the 16" WS version, then you definately want to be under 3 oz AUW. My AUW was around 3.2 or so if I remember correctly and it was like a rocket.

Matt
Propjob81 is offline Find More Posts by Propjob81
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:25 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
I have a couple of these now, including a Stang at 64g...and a Hellcat that is gonna be right at 2oz assuming I can stop adding 'features'.

they fly great up to about 4oz, obviously a 'bit' faster at the higher weights.

I want a 900Mhz system for my next one, if they can really do 1000' range...

It might be possible to get under an ounce with that system.
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer
Old Apr 25, 2005, 08:46 AM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Hi Matt,

Oops, just edited my previous post. AUW is 3.7oz. which is a known flying wieght. I haven't calculated the wing area, but as you can see I did extend the area out by adding aileron controls to what was the existing frame. I know it's going to be a heavy plane, but it's built very sturdy and with the CDrom motor, it will have plenty of thrust. I was trying for 3.5oz but did not want to remove the covers for the servos. I suspect it will be a handful to fly, but the ailerons have a built in washout. If I can keep it in the air long enough to trim without crashing it then it should be a fun little rocket.

Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propjob81
What is the area of your wing? Because if that is a 16" wing, the weight is a bit much. If your model is the 16" WS version, then you definately want to be under 3 oz AUW. My AUW was around 3.2 or so if I remember correctly and it was like a rocket.

Matt
Last edited by kfong; Apr 25, 2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 09:12 AM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersharer
I have a couple of these now, including a Stang at 64g...and a Hellcat that is gonna be right at 2oz assuming I can stop adding 'features'.

they fly great up to about 4oz, obviously a 'bit' faster at the higher weights.

I want a 900Mhz system for my next one, if they can really do 1000' range...

It might be possible to get under an ounce with that system.

Hi Watersharer,

How did you get a hellcat with an AUW of 2oz? My next build, I will CNC all new parts for a lighter setup if this hellcat shows promise. Already trying to find a lighter motor design.

Kin

Old Apr 25, 2005, 03:38 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
replaced all formers with 1mm depron, using Cirrus MJ gear, 2s2p 145mAH batteries...it all adds up... I have photos, but my camera software is acting up. Once I get them online I will start a thread, since I think a few of the things I did are worth posting. It think I might have mentioned the build earlier in this thread or maybe another Guillows thread...

Probably the single biggest improvement was the 1mm depron...all of the formers in depron weighed less than 4 formers from 1 side of the keel in balsa...Guillows uses some heavy wood.

I also deleted a few stringers, and replaced the rest with stringers I cut from 6lb balsa.

All pretty easy stuff...
Last edited by watersharer; Apr 25, 2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 04:11 PM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
That might not work for me if I stick with doculam covering. Did you cover yours with tissue?

Kin
Old Apr 25, 2005, 05:17 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
i dont think there was too much loss of structural strength...I havent covered yet, but will likely use pre-doped tissue...I havent used doculam so I cant speak to its suitability.

With the weight savings, 2mm depron could be used without penalty, as I have read that there is not much difference in the two. And you might pick up even more strength...another idea would be to use balsa in the forward fuse and depron in the boom where less strength is required.

I have a Mustang using MJ gear and the EDP50xc...it weighs just over 2oz and flies like a dream, nice speed range and slows great for landings...it has tissue covering. I like working with the tissue, but films are nice as well.

With the new 900mhz and similar systems, it may be possible to build one light enough to drop to a single cell system, like this..

http://www.slowfly.com/category.chtm...gory=%23735675

I think a 37g AUW and 1:1 power-to-weight might be possible with a Guillows kit. We'll see who does it first.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 08:37 PM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
That system is nice, I'll have to look into it when they get the servos. The reason depron won't work with doculam is because of the high heat needed to shrink the covering material. Doculam paints well and looks great when painted. It is also amazingly tough and gives the plane structural strength, it would be hard for me to give up these qualities. Instead, I would rather look for lighter equipment and mill out my own formers. First, I need to see if this hellcat is as fun to fly as my larger planes. Just waiting for a calm day. Don't worry, I like flying fast