HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jul 2011
101 Posts
I meant to say the hubs that come with the APC props, when you say about mounting them true and on properly I wonder do they fit right on just curious thanks everybody on here that is always willing to help out a fellow flyer, any advice on mounting the aftermarket props would be helpful. So I mount them correctly thanks. Also about using the stock spinner am i able to still use it or no any advice would be greatly helpful thank you guys. Drew
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@drewkc

If you use an APC prop, it won't fit the stock prop adapter. Stock prop adapter shaft is 8mm and APC prop holes are 6mm. Whether or not you use a spinner is totally cosmetic. Hyperion has an adapter that will fit the stock motor shaft (5mm) and will fit an APC prop (6mm), plus the "extra long" version will have enough room to fit a spinner of your choice (Hyperion also makes some nice lightweight spinners). The stock spinner will not work with the Hyperion prop adapter. Here's the adapter I use...

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-extra...de7047724a168b

Depending on the size of the spinner you use or if you don't use one at all, you may be able to use the regular length adapter instead of the "extra long". Hope that helps.

BTW...this is a quote directly from E Flite's website regarding the Carbon Z Yak 54...

"Attention:
Due to the high RPMs of this aircraft it is extremely important that you use a balanced propeller. Balancing the propeller as well as the hub is equally important in this situation. Failure to use a balanced propeller and hub will result in premature fatigue and possible failure of the aircraft components."
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:44 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
If you're going to drill out an APC prop to fit an 8mm adapter, drill it larger than 8mm. Don't try and make the drilled part perfectly centered and tight on the adapter. You actually don't want the drilled section to touch the adapter. Oversize it slightly. The plastic prop adapter you push in the prop is what centers the prop. It's the only part that is important. Naturally you don't want to drill the prop so big that you remove the part where the plastic adapter fits.

I'll also add that I prefer 13" props on this plane for better slow speed action. I'm no expert at 3d but the extra inch does seem to help. I currently using a 145 gram Infinite 3020 on 4s and with a 13x6.5 it pulls around 840 watts! I'm sure it'll smoke the motor if I push it too hard too long but it sure is punchy!
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Last edited by krexken; Oct 07, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:01 AM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
They told me to just take it out to the field and fly it and that 1 in a 1000 might slightly be out of balance, and people from Rc Groups are eccentric whatever that means.
I got one of the one-in-a-thousand props so far out of balance I couldn't make it work.

We may be eccentric here on RC Groups, but Yak props from HH are even more eccentric.

Watch John Redman's video on Balancing Your Prop, then buy the DuBro balancer and let us know how it goes.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:45 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Just maidened my first CZ YAK, WOW what fun !!!! I have rates on 25% and 70%, spins are a blur at 70%, this might be my all time favorite plane..........

The stock prop was balanced out of the box, I find most e-flite/PZ props pretty much balanced out of the box, occasionally I find one way way off! That said I tried the APC 12X6 on it as well.

Drew the P-47 prop adapter works as well, it is longer, but still need to drill out the prop, I like hanging my planes using the hole in the prop adapter.

I have a buddy who uses wood props on everything, they are half the weight of the APC's and my preference as well, the only downside is a strike on landing breaks them. Wood props need very little effort to balance them. I also spin up my planes on the ground occassionally to be sure I have no vibration.

I balance using the above mentioned John Redman method as wel
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:02 AM
Joined Jul 2011
101 Posts
Okay thanks for all the useful info I had Rcbabbel balance me some APC props, 2 APC 13x4e, and 2 APC 12x6e props. So I really dont care about the spinner, plane still looks nice without it I think I will use the 13x4e to slow it down, I saw one fly and im confident in my skills but it is brutally fast i mean it almost looks as fast as the habu, with a fresh lipo. Mugen4life so the link to the prop adapter you left above, will fit my APC props to the Carbon Z YAK 54??? Thanks alot
PS. Mugen4life, are you talking about honda parts?? I have some mugen parts on my Honda S2000, thats cool bro., yeah Mugen all the way really expensive stuff though.Thanks alot guys for all your help. You guys on RC groups rock thanks for all your help.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:38 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
Okay thanks for all the useful info I had Rcbabbel balance me some APC props, 2 APC 13x4e, and 2 APC 12x6e props. So I really dont care about the spinner, plane still looks nice without it I think I will use the 13x4e to slow it down, I saw one fly and im confident in my skills but it is brutally fast i mean it almost looks as fast as the habu, with a fresh lipo. Mugen4life so the link to the prop adapter you left above, will fit my APC props to the Carbon Z YAK 54??? Thanks alot
PS. Mugen4life, are you talking about honda parts?? I have some mugen parts on my Honda S2000, thats cool bro., yeah Mugen all the way really expensive stuff though.Thanks alot guys for all your help. You guys on RC groups rock thanks for all your help.
Yes, the Hyperion adapter will fit the yak and apc props. That's the one I use. It's "extra" long to fit a spinner so you can get the shorter one if you prefer. As for Mugen, it's not Honda parts....it's cuz I race 1/8 scale buggies and I'm a die hard Mugen Seiki guy. I had the MBX5 before and now I race an MBX6. Let us know how the maiden goes...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Jul 2011
101 Posts
Thanks alot for all your help mugen4life and everybody else who commented and helped me the advice really helps.I just have 2 more questions, mugen4life I ordered the prop adapter that you put up in the link thanks alot bro, greatly appreciated. Im curious out of the APC 12x6e and the APC 13x4e, which one offers the best stability,handeling, control, speed, etc????? Also if you could Mugen4life could you point me out on allerc.com or wherever for a spinner that fits the hyperion prop adapter you showed me for the occasional nose over landing??? That would really be helpful thanks alot you guys. Also i didnt know you could use a really nice wood pre-balanced prop.When I talked to a tech at horizon hobbys he said do not, absolutely do not use a wood prop on the carbon z Yak 54, so i take it you can, from the above threads?? Anyways it dont matter i got those pre-balanced APC props coming from rcbabbel. Anyways sorry for the long thread but if you could, Mugen4life, point me to a good spinner to go with that hyperion prop adapter that would be awesome. Thanks alot you guys, Drew
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:07 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I use vox wood props on both my yaks, 12x6 on my 4s yak and 13x5 on my 3s yak. Use the 13x4 for slower 3d flying and 12x6 is for fast aerobatic patterns.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@drewkc

Here's a link for the spinner...

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-class...ed-p-2977.html

As for the props, the 12x6E will give you the closest performance to the stock prop. Decent thrust with a lot of speed. The 13x4E is a little slower in terms of speed, but it has more thrust for slower 3D type maneuvers. As long as your amp draw is within the capabilities of your power setup, the prop size is up to you and the type of flying you do. I fly more scale/aerobatic so the 12x6E works well for me. I tried the 13x4E but it lacked the "wow" factor in terms of speed. With wood props, I'm not that knowledgable about them so maybe someone else could chime in. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:37 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
The wooden propeller is the most rigid and also the lightest propeller. The lighter weight puts less load on the engine which allows for higher RPM. The problem with wooden props is that they break very easily. The slightest nose over on an otherwise smooth landing will break the prop. Wooden props are not a good choice for a beginner for that reason. The apc props are less rigid and might survive an occasional prop strike where the wood prop would be destroyed. Wood props will bend a motor shaft on a strike easier than apc will. Wood props are expensive compared to apc too.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@slo-fly

Have you measured the amp draw of the wood props vs. apc props? Just curious what the numbers show...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:10 PM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
On static tests they pull the same watts and amps, the wood props spool up quicker for punch outs though.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:42 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I haven't tried this prop, http://www.mejzlik.eu/control-line-p...er-12-5-x-5-0/ she is expensive but damn she's pretty!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:51 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Slo Fly, I could not agree more, wood props definitely spin up quicker, they are stiffer and about half the weight of an APC

WOW that carbon prop looks sweet !!!!
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone