HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:33 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Has anyone scaled an Aeronca for Classroom Fighter gear? I can probably whack something out with the numerous 3-views, but no sense in re-inventing the wheel!

I've also been thinking of a truely 'Micro'-Glider with CF gear. Motor glider, but something that can GLIDE without motor. Ideas?

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:44 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
This thread was great... some news Peter?
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:48 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Hi Al,
Without Durabatics foam to make them from There didn't seem much point in continuing with these little models. However, the DT receivers and being able to use my DX5i transmitter might prompt me to give it a go again. Since Plantraco moved manufacture I find the quality of their actuators has taken a turn for the worse and the small ones don't currently seem to be available over here.
That said, the e-rc Nano Stik gear looks very promising and I have some on order.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:16 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Peter!!! until now I notice you are from Bitish Kingdom!!!! durobatic is not available there? Bad news abou Plantraco. recently I got the micro BF-109 and recall your designs

Cheers.

Al
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:33 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Al,
Last I heard Durobatics wasn't available anywhere. I'd love to hear that it is being made again though.

Oh well, if you have the 109 you really need the P-51 that's on the same files as the Bearcat - back 1 page. It's bigger than the 109 though, more the same size as the other designs.

Maybe, once the Nano Stik gear turns up, I'll try another of these models. If, that is, my new printer will handle my rapidly dwindling supply of very thin foam.

Pete
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:22 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
Pete,
Did you mean the e-RC nano stick or the Ares nano stick 75? If it's the e-RC version are you going to bump up the size on these?

I've changed the Waco to 11 x17 paper which would probably give me around 13" span and a shot at using a PZ Vapor Rx with a 7mm geared motor. Plan is to print on tissue and attach to depron.

bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:57 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Bill,
I think they may be one and the same thing - about 12" span, two channel, actuator on rudder. It's the e-RC Nano Stik over here, with the bigger one being the e-RC Micro Stik.

Although, since you mention the SRE, that would be a good one to enlarge to around 15" for the same type of construction as my Flivver & Flivver II. 2 mm Depron and laminated fuselage with a skeletised core. Vapor Brick and 7 mm motor.

Pete
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:40 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
You're right Pete I searched on mini stick by mistake. I see over on your side of the pond the Rx, Tx and actuators for the nanos are available separately. Haven't seen them that way here.

I think you're right about the Waco. I'll go have a look at the Flivver to refresh my memory.

bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:53 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
After and enjoyable afternoon indoor flying with my Nano Stik and Plantraco HM8 I decided I really must have another go at these models using 1mm foam and Nano Stik receiver/motor. Since the plug on Plantraco actuators can be persuaded to fit the receiver, I'll use the ones I already have.
Last night I printed off the parts, cut them out and started assembling a Fokker Dr1 from my original drawings. Although heavier than Durobatics, the foam parts, with some of them glued together (fuselage, rudder, wheels and IP strut halves) come to 4.9 grams. Sub 10 grams seems unlikely, but it shouldn't end up at too much more than that
From which you might gather that my new printer handles 1mm foam quite nicely. Anyone know of a reliable UK source for 1mm foam, now that Micron no longer seems to list it?

Pete
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:23 AM
ITALY
Joined Sep 2004
928 Posts
depron

You can cut it in 1mm without problem.
Ivan2280 is offline Find More Posts by Ivan2280
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:20 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
If I had a cutting wire I could, but I don't. Besides, it's a lot of bother flattening the foam once it has been sliced. I'm much happier buying it ready prepared. I'd love to still be using Durobatics, but such is life.
I'm not at all sure what's going on with Micron. As far as I can see they no longer list any Depron, haven't replied to an e-mail about an order that hasn't arrived and generally seem to be listing fewer and fewer items. Until now they've always been my 'go to' place for micro stuff.

Pete
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:59 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Weight of the Dr1 isn't looking too bad so far. With all the gear installed and just c/s struts, u/c and battery to add, the assembled model tips the scales at 7.9 grams. 12 grams total is looking reasonably doable at the moment - depending largely on battery weight.

Pete
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:10 AM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
702 Posts
Would these models work with the brick from the mini vapor? What motor/gearbox should I use?
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Last edited by addictedtoplanes; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:34 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Quite possibly. Just checking out other models that use that brick shows weights very similar to what I expect this to turn out. I'd imagine the MV motor/gearbox would work, I think it's very similar to the Nano Stik one anyway. Fine if you already have a MV, otherwise it's cheaper to use Nano Stik parts and live with just 2 channels. Nano Stik gear is probably lighter too.

Pete
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:47 PM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
702 Posts
How does a GB05 with a Mini Vapor RX and battery sound? 5.16 gm?
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes