Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:29 PM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Pyes Pa
Joined Nov 2010
16 Posts
IOM session in Tauranga NZ

Come to Tauranga on Saturday on the 21st July 2012 between 11am to 4pm
and come have ago at sailing an IOM.

Then between 4pm tp 4.30pm on the 21st July 2012 in the Tauranga Lakes carpark you can Buy the extremely Cheap IOM to get started

Also we are expecting 30'ish IOM's on the water on the 21st .
Maybe a Team Tauranga club photo shoot over lunchtime, weather permitting.
We hope you can make it down for this day of fun and entertainment with heaps of newbies having fun.

If you would like or are interested one of the above yachts,
please come and talk with me today...

All the best

Graham Roberts
www.ohope.co.nz/iom/
iom(at)ohope.co.nz
0274 514 240
Ohope is offline Find More Posts by Ohope
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
10m forum

Just recieved my Britpop from Denis Astbury, its superb and the finish is second to none ,a credit to the builder. Its not Blue ! its a super Red. cant wait to get it on the water.
DR P. is offline Find More Posts by DR P.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:12 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,110 Posts
Phew!! it's not blue, thank goodness.My next boat is going to be raw fiberglass.Dennis does a nice build.The only thing that could be improved is the winch accessability it's not quite under the hatch and can be a PITA to work on if in a rush especially with the self tensioning drums i'm using the 55mm spiral works very good but complicated to install below deck.For international events i'm going to revert to standard drum and the rubberband they use for castration just in case a winch breaks down.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Last edited by The Tug; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
861 Posts
Hi Tug,
I owned a Croatian built Pikanto they use the 55mm spiral self tension drum on there boats and I had constant problems with the drums mostly the line coming off the spool for some reason, not what you want during races I ended up ditching it for a standard drum.

I now use 32mm self tensioning drums when I can.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2009
78 Posts
Several weeks ago I reported how delighted I was with my Denis Astbury BritPOP. Superb build quality. Tug, sorry it is Blue. I am also perplexed with the inaccessibility of the drum winch. If the line becomes unraveled during an event I am screwed. But it is not the end of the world because I am not a real contender and languish in the back of the pack. Who cares about the shifts, in the end all that matters is there enough ice to keep the adult beverages cold.

I am using a 32mm self tensioning drum. Don't expect it to unravel because the return line tubes which go through the bulkhead line up perfectly with the drum. Sailing in a three day event in the Columbia Gorge at Hood River this weekend. This will be good test to see how the boat and winch hold up under potentially extreme conditions.
blackrgb is offline Find More Posts by blackrgb
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Dec 2007
62 Posts
I have had my blue Denis Astbury boat out twice now, and I use the castration band and a 42 mm winch. No self-tensioners for me. Works great. BTW, I have the best looking blue Britpop going! Just ask me!
B North is offline Find More Posts by B North
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:18 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
861 Posts
only one in this Blue though!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:45 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B North View Post
I have had my blue Denis Astbury boat out twice now, and I use the castration band and a 42 mm winch. No self-tensioners for me. Works great. BTW, I have the best looking blue Britpop going! Just ask me!
Best looking if you're from Texas ! ;-)
FRA3700 is online now Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:06 AM
gp.
gp
South Aust.
Joined Aug 2006
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B North View Post
Hi guys,
New to boats just wondering how the castration band is setup,does anyone have a picture or diagram to show how it works,thanks in advance.
Have a great day
gp. is online now Find More Posts by gp.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
USA-Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
108 Posts
gp,

When the lines wrap around the winch drums the diameter changes as they rotate and one side gets bigger and the other gets smaller, so the lines change in length. The castration device is an 0-ring about a half inch (12mm) in diameter and is used on the tension line, not the line that actually pulls in the sails. It is stretched so that it keeps tension on the lines so they do not come unwrapped from the winch drum. I use a spring on my boat that is about an inch long (25mm) and about 1/8 (3 or 4mm) in diameter, I have it pulled to about 1 1/2 (35mm) inch long to keep tension on the slack line.

The self tensioning drum these guys are talking about changes diameter by being two pieces and is spring loaded and requires a little effort to get it wrapped properly.

If the winch drum is out in the open it is pretty easy to do, when it is under the deck it is not so easy...hence the discussion.
Ted Flack is offline Find More Posts by Ted Flack
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
I have probably posted this before, but I was just reading the June issue of Seattle MYC. And if you want and like IOM pics and info, you will not find a better resource, download andbe amazed.
http://www.seattleradiosailing.org/?m=201012
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,110 Posts
Lets see if these pics uploaded
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,110 Posts
It worked wow,i am not having a problem with this drum just saying you ain't gonna fix this in a flash other wise it actually works good and i like it but it scares me should something go wrong having traveled to an event.The string changes angle in diamiter and height as the winch spins so i put it on floating blocks so it determines the angle it wants automatically i glassed on the tab that the blocks are tied to and i've now made the blocks into a doubble by bolting them together ,the tubes are now straight so there's less friction there as well,adjusting the tension on the spring is also tricky because the tension drum is a fixed diamiter and the spiral changes constantly resulting in it having tight tension when trimmed in but slack when released so i had to include a ring externally and adjust the tension when it's out but making shure you have'nt bound up the spring when you're trimmed in,you just got to mess with it til you get it right and it's fine,it would be a piece of cake if it were external so be it.The next thing i have to do now is drill a hole through the deck so i can tighten the screw on the drum lol or wait for one from Aus.How i do that now is grab the screw with a pliers and spin the winch with the radio.These bloody blue boats i tell ya pace on.
Last edited by The Tug; Jul 11, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
only one in this Blue though!
So your builder bought one gill of paint whereas ours bought a 50 gallon drum
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
861 Posts
why not buy a thumb screw for the drum that should make it easier

https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/...-drums%29.html
Last edited by ToniGe23; Jul 11, 2012 at 04:23 PM.