HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:01 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Sep 2014
158 Posts
Discussion
Intro to 3D - ValueHobby Sbach, Edge or Yak?

I'm still feeling my way around the RC hobby world. I have a quad, just picked up a CTH Assassin, tried my hand at scratchbuilding (which didn't go great) and love to watch people flying 3D. I was wondering what everyone's opinion was about picking up an inexpensive 3D flyer even if I don't have a simulator for trying the crazy stuff.

I am a Mac guy, I don't have a PC in the house. I don't run Bootcamp so I can't run the Phoenix simulator that I have seen recommended. I'm wondering if it would be silly or a waste of money to get an inexpensive plane to fly and learn with anyway.

I have read through a lot of the threads, trying to find those with less expensive recommendations and this one stuck out to me.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027889

I can get everything I need delivered for $54. I have 5g and 9g servos and a spare Rx already. A bonus is that WHEN I crash it I can replace the foam cheaply and reuse the electronics. Obviously servos strip and things like that in crashes, but the Rx, motor and ESC will probably be okay.

I'm a decent flyer. Mostly a glider and quad. I have never tried 3D flying as I don't have one and would never let my first time be on a borrowed plane.

What do you think, are the $25 ValueHobby planes decent as an intro? Or is it more likely that the plane never flies right and leaves me with a bad taste for it?

I'm open to other suggestions as well. Or even to the hearing that it would just be a waste of money. Looking for experienced opinions.
lucky53s is online now Find More Posts by lucky53s
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2015, 02:27 PM
United States, WI, Wisconsin Dells
Joined Jun 2011
6 Posts
Check out the value hobby 8mm thread in this forum. Most say they are good for learning and inexpensive.
one4midable1 is online now Find More Posts by one4midable1
Old Jan 15, 2015, 02:39 PM
Joined Sep 2014
158 Posts
Is that the thread I linked to? If not it has a very similar thread title.

ValueHobby 32" 8mm EPP kits!!! - $24 (Same as the link in my OP)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 04:32 PM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,128 Posts
Do you not like green? check out the G202

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2319481
spastic is offline Find More Posts by spastic
Old Jan 15, 2015, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2014
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic View Post
Do you not like green? check out the G202

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2319481
No issues with green. =) I just stopped listing all of the $25 airframes after the third one. I don't see how you could really go wrong there.

I'm a little worried going from glider flying into 3D. I guess I will probably start out just flying normal then start tossing it around once I'm comfortable.

One thing I don't see listed in the additional parts is what type of Rx people are using. They don't offer one in the add-ons. Does it accommodate a regular Rx or do you use a micro? I assume it doesn't come with one since it's never mentioned.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 06:20 PM
Unregistered User
United States, LA, St Francisville
Joined Apr 2014
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky53s View Post
No issues with green. =) I just stopped listing all of the $25 airframes after the third one. I don't see how you could really go wrong there.

I'm a little worried going from glider flying into 3D. I guess I will probably start out just flying normal then start tossing it around once I'm comfortable.

One thing I don't see listed in the additional parts is what type of Rx people are using. They don't offer one in the add-ons. Does it accommodate a regular Rx or do you use a micro? I assume it doesn't come with one since it's never mentioned.
What Tx do you have? If you have a Spektrum, you can get a Lemon Rx:

http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...product_id=122
Eagle2Nitro is online now Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Full Scale Aircraft
Old Jan 15, 2015, 06:45 PM
Joined Sep 2014
158 Posts
Intro to 3D - ValueHobby Sbach, Edge or Yak?

I have a Spek and a FS-T6. I'm converting all back to Spek compatible though. Trying to pick up a DX6 from the trader but haven't got a response yet.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 08:57 AM
ProBro Spaz
Buffalo, NY
Joined Aug 2004
1,128 Posts
you wont be going far away with a 32" EPP plane, range isn't an issue..

just remember to kill the throttle before you hit the ground
spastic is offline Find More Posts by spastic
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:22 AM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
734 Posts
The G-202 in my opinion is as good or better than ANYTHING out there. Plus the $25 price is just crazy good!
Gonzo 1971 is online now Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:34 AM
Joined Sep 2014
158 Posts
Spastic: Good advice! Still deciding whether to pull the trigger without proper simulator time and practice...

Gonzo: Any better than the other ValueHobby $25 airframes? They seem to have some good looking options. Not sure how performance varies.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:56 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
734 Posts
Well, the G-202 will have TONS of elevator authority. It will knife edge spin and loop in it own length. With big throws it can be very aggresive and fun. Turn down the throws and it is as gentle as anything else. They are all pretty good. I think you will like any of them.
Gonzo 1971 is online now Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971