SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2014, 06:53 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,517 Posts
I finally got around to installing my Boca ceramic bearings that I have had laying around for sometime. One of my brushless 400's was a little loud, and thought maybe it was a bearing, so I installed the Boca bearings in both the brushless 400's. The one 400 did have a cheaper set of ceramics installed, and they have been holding up well, so I installed them in a 400 that I have partially built. Still looking for a 2419 receiver, so I can finish it off, and get it airborne. I had a couple of Futaba servo motors laying around, so I installed them in that 400 also. They fit right in perfectly, and I didn't have to modify anything, so I'm glad about that. I have been flying the 400's often around inside, after getting my flying space back. I lowered the added storage, so I'm now flying over the top of it, and it works out well. Just have to make sure there are no plastic shopping bags in any open boxes, because the wash of the blades will suck them right up into the rotor blades. Believe me, that stops things real fast! It hasn't happened to my 400's, but it did happen a couple of times when I had the CX helis. Well, back to the bowl games!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2015, 06:31 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,132 Posts
Good to hear you're doing your maintenance. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Randy, it's time for you to buy a brushless quad. I can fly mine all over the yard at just a couple of feet off the ground.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jan 01, 2015, 10:35 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,363 Posts

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2315077
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: and again ...
Old Jan 02, 2015, 09:13 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Good to hear you're doing your maintenance. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Randy, it's time for you to buy a brushless quad. I can fly mine all over the yard at just a couple of feet off the ground.
KJ, what make and model quad do you have? I am not up on them, and didn't know they had brushless motors. So 4 brushless motors, ? brushless esc's, ? mixers,and what do they use for stabilizing - gyro's?
Looking into them further I see they have a 5 in 1 board. Yeah I am a little out of touch, these things are changing as fast as Microsoft Windows!
Last edited by flyeraroo; Jan 02, 2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 09:50 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,132 Posts
I have an RC Logger Extreme = $130. Everything is on the Flight Control board. The original frame had 4 booms sticking out of the center plastic frame. That is easy to break, so, mine has a polycarbonate after market frame. I also use a lemon receiver so I can use my DX6i. If you want them to put everything together for you on a poly frame, it's $210:

http://www.rc-drones.com/Phoenix-Fli...RTF_p_844.html
You would have to send him an email to be sure of what you do and do not get because it's a little confusing.
Old Jan 03, 2015, 11:24 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,517 Posts
I will have to think on the move to quads. I have enough flying items now that get used very little because of the wind. I know the quad can handle wind a little better than helicopters, so that's a plus. They sure aren't much to look at, and parts appear to be more expensive than coaxials or planes. I can get disoriented at times with the helicopters, and I bet I would have some real issues with a quad. Of course if you can shut them off, and let them fly themselves back it would not be an issue.
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:21 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,132 Posts
That quad, for that price, does not have software to send it back home. It would have to have GPS, etc. Guys are quick to put FPV gear on board and fly them like mad men, but I'm just a simple back yard flyer. The poly frame is super tough. There is also a big following for the nano QX as well as a bunch of after market frames, motors, etc. for the little palm size jobby. You can easily fly it in your basement in "inclement weather" that last 7 months of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 03:05 AM
BillyG master daehrekcep
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,936 Posts
Belated Happy New Year gentlemen.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Jan 10, 2015, 07:38 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,132 Posts
Same to you, Mark. This would be your Summer, right? Are you flying much? Those of us on the other side of the world are freezing our you know whats off and using a shovel instead of a transmitter!!!!!!!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 08:50 AM
BillyG master daehrekcep
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,936 Posts
Jack, it is unseasonal and wet and windy as hell here. Went from 100 plus degrees to cold and windy in the space of a day. But yes the in between days have been pretty good for flying. I've not done a lot as I've been in the middle of doing the yearly yard and garden clean up. A few more weekends of house work and I should be all clear to get some serious air time.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6